Interest Rates, Income Shares, and Investment in a Kaleckian Model
Neither the older post-Keynesian models of growth and distribution (Kaldor, J. Robinson) nor the models based on the work by Kalecki and Steindl take sufficiently account of monetary va¬riables. Starting from a non-monetary Kaleckian effective demand model by Bhaduri & Marglin in which investment is determined by costs and capacity utilisation and in which equilibrium capacity utilisation may be below normal, this paper deals with the effects of an exogenous variation in the monetary interest rate on the real equilibrium position of the economic system. Different regimes of accumulation are derived and it is shown that a negative relation between the interest rate and the rates of capa¬city utilisation, accumulation and profit usually expected in post-Keynesian theory only exists under special conditions.
|Date of creation:||1999|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||Published in Review of Political Economy and Social Sciences 5 (1999): pp. 5-22|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Steven Fazzari & R. Glenn Hubbard & Bruce C. Petersen, 1987.
"Financing Constraints and Corporate Investment,"
NBER Working Papers
2387, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Robert Pollin, 1991. "Two Theories of Money Supply Endogeneity: Some Empirical Evidence," Journal of Post Keynesian Economics, M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 13(3), pages 366-396, April.
- Bhaduri, Amit & Marglin, Stephen, 1990. "Unemployment and the Real Wage: The Economic Basis for Contesting Political Ideologies," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 14(4), pages 375-93, December.
- Marc Lavoie, 1995.
"Interest Rates In Post-Keynesian Models Of Growth And Distribution,"
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 46(2), pages 146-177, 06.
- Lavoie, M., 1993. "Interest Rates in Post-Keynesian Models of Growth and Distribution," Working Papers 9314e, University of Ottawa, Department of Economics.
- John F. Henry & L. Randall Wray, 1998.
Economics Working Paper Archive
wp_255, Levy Economics Institute.
- Arestis, Philip, 1996. "Post-Keynesian Economics: Towards Coherence," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 20(1), pages 111-35, January.
- Wray, L Randall, 1992. "Alternative Theories of the Rate of Interest," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 16(1), pages 69-89, March.
- Lavoie, M, 1995.
"Horizontalism, Structuralism, Liquidity Preference and the Principle of Increasing Risk,"
9513e, University of Ottawa, Department of Economics.
- Lavoie, Marc, 1996. "Horizontalism, Structuralism, Liquidity Preference and the Principle of Increasing Risk," Scottish Journal of Political Economy, Scottish Economic Society, vol. 43(3), pages 275-300, August.
- Franke, Reiner, 1988. "Integrating the Financing of Production and a Rate of Interest into Production Price Models," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 12(2), pages 257-72, June.
- Dutt, Amitava Krishna, 1984. "Stagnation, Income Distribution and Monopoly Power," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 8(1), pages 25-40, March.
- Kregel, J A, 1985. "Hamlet without the Prince: Cambridge Macroeconomics without Money," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 75(2), pages 133-39, May.
- Taylor, Lance, 1985. "A Stagnationist Model of Economic Growth," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 9(4), pages 383-403, December.
- Dutt, Amitava Krishna, 1987. "Alternative Closures Again: A Comment on 'Growth, Distribution and Inflation.'," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 11(1), pages 75-82, March.
- L. R. Wray, 1990. "Money and Credit in Capitalist Economies," Books, Edward Elgar Publishing, number 474, 10.
- Thomas I. Palley, 1996. "Accommodationism versus Structuralism: Time for an Accommodation," Journal of Post Keynesian Economics, M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 18(4), pages 585-594, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:18607. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.