Call for a Spatial Classification of Banking Systems through the Lens of SME Finance - Decentralized versus Centralized Banking in Germany as an Example
We are calling for comparisons of banking and banking systems from a spatial perspective. Therefore, this paper develops a classification identifying decentralized and centralized banking according to two characteristics: geographical market orientation (regional vs. supraregional) – to determine whether banks facilitate regional savings-investment cycles – and place of decision-making (proximity vs. distance) – to identify whether the flow of soft information is supported in SME lending. The degree of banks’ centralization is also approximated by the spatial concentration of bank employees and shows remarkable explanatory power in Germany, as de-centralized banks increase lending at the expense of centralized banks.
|Date of creation:||02 Jun 2014|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Düsternbrooker Weg 120, 24105 Kiel / Neuer Jungfernstieg 21, 20354 Hamburg|
Phone: +49 431 8814-1
Fax: +49 431 8814-520
Web page: http://www.econstor.eu/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Koetter, Michael & Wedow, Michael, 2006.
"Finance and growth in a bank-based economy: is it quantity or quality that matters?,"
Discussion Paper Series 2: Banking and Financial Studies
2006,02, Deutsche Bundesbank, Research Centre.
- Koetter, Michael & Wedow, Michael, 2010. "Finance and growth in a bank-based economy: Is it quantity or quality that matters?," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 29(8), pages 1529-1545, December.
- Hirofumi Uchida & Gregory F. Udell & Wako Watanabe, 2008.
"Bank size and lending relationships in Japan,"
in: Organizational Innovation and Firm Performance, pages 242-267
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Uchida, Hirofumi & Udell, Gregory F. & Watanabe, Wako, 2008. "Bank size and lending relationships in Japan," Journal of the Japanese and International Economies, Elsevier, vol. 22(2), pages 242-267, June.
- Hirofumi Uchida & Gregory F. Udell & Wako Watanabe, 2006. "Bank Size and Lending Relationships in Japan," Discussion papers 06029, Research Institute of Economy, Trade and Industry (RIETI).
- Hirofumi Uchida & Gregory F.Udell & Wako Watanabe, 2007. "Bank Size and Lending Relationships in Japan," NBER Working Papers 13005, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Andy Pike & Jane Pollard, 2010. "Economic Geographies of Financialization," Economic Geography, Clark University, vol. 86(1), pages 29-51, 01.
- Ross Levine, 2004.
"Finance and Growth: Theory and Evidence,"
NBER Working Papers
10766, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Gunther Capelle-Blancard & Claire Labonne, 2011.
"More Bankers, More Growth? Evidence from OECD Countries,"
2011-22, CEPII research center.
- Gunther Capelle-Blancard & Claire Labonne, 2016. "More Bankers, More Growth? Evidence from OECD Countries," Université Paris1 Panthéon-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers) hal-01297090, HAL.
- Boot, Arnoud W. A., 2000. "Relationship Banking: What Do We Know?," Journal of Financial Intermediation, Elsevier, vol. 9(1), pages 7-25, January.
- Britta Klagge & Ron Martin, 2005. "Decentralized versus centralized financial systems: is there a case for local capital markets?," Journal of Economic Geography, Oxford University Press, vol. 5(4), pages 387-421, August.
- Jean Arcand & Enrico Berkes & Ugo Panizza, 2015.
"Too much finance?,"
Journal of Economic Growth,
Springer, vol. 20(2), pages 105-148, June.
- Franklin Allen & Douglas Gale, 2001. "Comparing Financial Systems," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262511258.
- Ross Levine, 1997.
"Financial Development and Economic Growth: Views and Agenda,"
Journal of Economic Literature,
American Economic Association, vol. 35(2), pages 688-726, June.
- Levine, Ross, 1996. "Financial development and economic growth : views and agenda," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1678, The World Bank.
- Udell, Gregory F., 2008. "What's in a relationship The case of commercial lending," Business Horizons, Elsevier, vol. 51(2), pages 93-103.
- Canales, Rodrigo & Nanda, Ramana, 2012.
"A darker side to decentralized banks: Market power and credit rationing in SME lending,"
Journal of Financial Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 105(2), pages 353-366.
- Rodrigo Canales & Ramana Nanda, 2008. "A Darker Side to Decentralized Banks: Market Power and Credit Rationing in SME Lending," Harvard Business School Working Papers 08-101, Harvard Business School, revised Aug 2011.
- Chick, Victoria & Dow, Sheila, 1988. "A Post-Keynesian Perspective on the Relation Between Banking and Regional Development," Stirling Economics Discussion Papers PE/88/1, University of Stirling, Division of Economics.
- Pietro Alessandrini & Andrea F. Presbitero & Alberto Zazzaro, 2009. "Global banking and local markets: a national perspective," Cambridge Journal of Regions, Economy and Society, Cambridge Political Economy Society, vol. 2(2), pages 173-192.
- Sumit Agarwal & Robert Hauswald, 2007. "Distance and information asymmetries in lending decisions," Proceedings 1052, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Pietro ALESSANDRINI & Andrea PRESBITERO & Alberto ZAZZARO, 2007.
"Bank Size or Distance: What Hampers Innovation Adoption by SMEs ?,"
304, Universita' Politecnica delle Marche (I), Dipartimento di Scienze Economiche e Sociali.
- Pietro Alessandrini & Andrea F. Presbitero & Alberto Zazzaro, 2010. "Bank size or distance: what hampers innovation adoption by SMEs?," Journal of Economic Geography, Oxford University Press, vol. 10(6), pages 845-881, November.
- Pietro Alessandrini & Andrea Filippo Presbitero & Alberto Zazzaro, 2008. "Bank Size or Distance: What Hampers Innovation Adoption by SMEs?," Mo.Fi.R. Working Papers 2, Money and Finance Research group (Mo.Fi.R.) - Univ. Politecnica Marche - Dept. Economic and Social Sciences.
- Conrad, Alexander, 2008. "Banking in schrumpfenden Regionen: Auswirkungen von Alterung und Abwanderung auf Regionalbanken," Thuenen-Series of Applied Economic Theory 94, University of Rostock, Institute of Economics.
- Pietro Alessandrini & Andrea Filippo Presbitero & Alberto Zazzaro, 2008. "Geographical Organization of Banking Systems and Innovation Diffusion," Mo.Fi.R. Working Papers 3, Money and Finance Research group (Mo.Fi.R.) - Univ. Politecnica Marche - Dept. Economic and Social Sciences.
- Johann Burgstaller, 2012. "Banks in Disadvantaged Areas," Credit and Capital Markets, Credit and Capital Markets, vol. 45(1), pages 51-78.
- Andreas Hackethal & Reinhard H. Schmidt & Marcel Tyrell, 2006. "The transformation of the German financial system," Revue d'économie politique, Dalloz, vol. 116(4), pages 431-456.
- Brian Uzzi & Ryon Lancaster, 2003. "Relational Embeddedness and Learning: The Case of Bank Loan Managers and Their Clients," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 49(4), pages 383-399, April.
- Jane S. Pollard, 2003. "Small firm finance and economic geography," Journal of Economic Geography, Oxford University Press, vol. 3(4), pages 429-452, October.
- Jose M. Liberti & Atif R. Mian, 2009. "Estimating the Effect of Hierarchies on Information Use," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 22(10), pages 4057-4090, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:zbw:esprep:97512. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ZBW - German National Library of Economics)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.