International transmission of shocks: a time-varying factor-augmented VAR approach to the open economy
A growing literature has documented changes to the dynamics of key macroeconomic variables in industrialised countries and highlighted the possibility that these variables may react differently to structural shocks over time. However, existing empirical work on the international transmission of shocks largely abstracts from the possibility of changes to the international transmission mechanism across time. In addition, the literature has largely employed small-scale models with limited number of variables. This paper introduces an empirical model which allows the estimation of time-varying response of a large set of domestic variables to foreign money supply, demand and supply shocks. The key results show that a foreign monetary policy tightening resembles the classic beggar-thy-neighbour scenario for the United Kingdom in the period 1975-90. In more recent periods, the response is negative but largely insignificant.
|Date of creation:||27 May 2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Bank of England, Threadneedle Street, London, EC2R 8AH|
Phone: +44 (0)171 601 4030
Fax: +44 (0)171 601 5196
Web page: http://www.bankofengland.co.uk/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Koop, Gary & Pesaran, M. Hashem & Potter, Simon M., 1996. "Impulse response analysis in nonlinear multivariate models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 74(1), pages 119-147, September.
- Juan F. Rubio-Ramirez & Daniel Waggoner & Tao Zha, 2006.
"Markov-Switching Structural Vector Autoregressions: Theory and Application,"
Computing in Economics and Finance 2006
69, Society for Computational Economics.
- Juan Francisco Rubio-Ramírez & Daniel F. Waggoner & Tao Zha, 2005. "Markov-switching structural vector autoregressions: theory and application," FRB Atlanta Working Paper 2005-27, Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta.
- Haroon Mumtaz & Özlem Oomen & Jian Wang, 2006. "Exchange rate pass-through into UK import prices," Bank of England working papers 312, Bank of England.
- Thomas Lubik & Frank Schorfheide, 2005. "A Bayesian Look at New Open Economy Macroeconomics," Economics Working Paper Archive 521, The Johns Hopkins University,Department of Economics.
- Marco Del Negro & Christopher Otrok, 2008. "Dynamic factor models with time-varying parameters: measuring changes in international business cycles," Staff Reports 326, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Francesco Bianchi & Haroon Mumtaz, 2010.
"Dynamics of the Term Structure of UK Interest Rates,"
10-38, Duke University, Department of Economics.
- Bianchi, Francesco & Mumtaz, Haroon & Surico, Paolo, 2009. "Dynamics of the term structure of UK interest rates," Bank of England working papers 363, Bank of England.
- Cushman, David O. & Zha, Tao, 1997.
"Identifying monetary policy in a small open economy under flexible exchange rates,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 39(3), pages 433-448, August.
- David O. Cushman & Tao Zha, 1995. "Identifying monetary policy in a small open economy under flexible exchange rates," FRB Atlanta Working Paper 95-7, Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:boe:boeewp:0425. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Digital Media Team)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.