Market Shares in the Wake of the Global Crisis: the Quarterly Export Competitiveness Database
Over the past two decades, international trade has become a privileged engine of growth for much of the developing world. In the wake of the global crisis, countries must pay close attention to their positioning on the global map of trade and production and become aware of how they fare relative to competitors and to their past export performance. To which extent changes in their market shares are driven by exporter own supply-side capacity as opposed to external or compositional factors, dues to their product and geographical specialization? This paper uses quarterly data, covering all exchanges flows at the product level since 2005, to compute indicators of export performance stripped of compositional effects. The resulting Export Competitiveness Database (ECD) reveals that emerging and developing regions, particularly the Asia and Pacific one, had strongest capacity to gain market shares in the most recent period, with changes reflecting growth in export volumes rather than price developments (once controlled for the composition effects). In contrast, ECD indicators also trace the legacy of the double-dip recession in the euro area, which have turned into negative the geographical effects of the traditional intra-zone specialization, despite the generally positive effects of sectoral structure. These measures of competitiveness correlate to nominal and real effective exchange rates, factors that are commonly perceived as important determinants of a country’s export competitiveness.
|Date of creation:||2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.banque-france.fr/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Farole, Thomas & Reis, Jose Guilherme & Wagle, Swarnim, 2010. "Analyzing trade competitiveness : a diagnostics approach," Policy Research Working Paper Series 5329, The World Bank.
- Laursen, Keld, 1999.
"The impact of technological opportunity on the dynamics of trade performance,"
Structural Change and Economic Dynamics,
Elsevier, vol. 10(3-4), pages 341-357, December.
- Keld Laursen, 1996. "The Impact of Technological Opportunity on the Dynamics of Trade Performance," DRUID Working Papers 96-12, DRUID, Copenhagen Business School, Department of Industrial Economics and Strategy/Aalborg University, Department of Business Studies.
- Milana, Carlo, 1988. "Constant-market-shares analysis and index number theory," European Journal of Political Economy, Elsevier, vol. 4(4), pages 453-478.
- Marc J. Melitz & Gianmarco I.P. Ottaviano, 2005.
"Market Size, Trade, and Productivity,"
Development Working Papers
201, Centro Studi Luca d\'Agliano, University of Milano.
- Ottaviano, Gianmarco & Melitz, Marc, 2008. "Market Size, Trade, and Productivity," Scholarly Articles 3229096, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Marc J. Melitz & Gianmarco I.P. Ottaviano, 2005. "Market Size, Trade, and Productivity," NBER Working Papers 11393, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bricongne, J-C. & Fontagné, L. & Gaulier, G. & Taglioni, D. & Vicard, V., 2009.
"Firms and the global crisis: French exports in the turmoil,"
265, Banque de France.
- Bricongne, Jean-Charles & Fontagné, Lionel & Gaulier, Guillaume & Taglioni, Daria & Vicard, Vincent, 2012. "Firms and the global crisis: French exports in the turmoil," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 87(1), pages 134-146.
- Bricongne, Jean-Charles & Fontagné, Lionel & Gaulier, Guillaume & Taglioni, Daria & Vicard, Vincent, 2010. "Firms and the global crisis: French exports in the turmoil," Working Paper Series 1245, European Central Bank.
- G. Gaulier. & V. Vicard., 2012.
"Current account imbalances in the euro area: competitiveness or demand shock?,"
Quarterly selection of articles - Bulletin de la Banque de France,
Banque de France, issue 27, pages 5-26, Autumn.
- Gaulier, G. & Vicard, V., 2012. "Évolution des déséquilibres courants dans la zone euro : choc de compétitivité ou choc de demande ?," Bulletin de la Banque de France, Banque de France, issue 189, pages 47-64.
- Martin, Julien & Méjean, Isabelle, 2011.
"Low-Wage Countries' Competition, Reallocation Across Firms and the Quality Content of Exports,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
8231, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Julien Martin & Isabelle Méjean, 2012. "Low-Wage Countries’ Competition, Reallocation Across Firms and the Quality Content of Exports," Working Papers 2012-04, CEPII research center.
- Steve J. Davis & John Haltiwanger, 1991.
"Gross job creation, gross job destruction and employment reallocation,"
Working Paper Series, Macroeconomic Issues
91-5, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Davis, Steven J & Haltiwanger, John C, 1992. "Gross Job Creation, Gross Job Destruction, and Employment Reallocation," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 107(3), pages 819-63, August.
- Steve J. Davis & John Haltiwanger, 1991. "Gross Job Creation, Gross Job Destruction and Employment Reallocation," NBER Working Papers 3728, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Cheptea, A. & Fontagné, L. & Zignago, S., 2012.
"European Export Performance,"
393, Banque de France.
- Angela Cheptea & Lionel Fontagné & Soledad Zignago, 2014. "European export performance," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 150(1), pages 25-58, February.
- David Dollar & Edward N. Wolff, 1993. "Competitiveness, Convergence, and International Specialization," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262041359, August.
- João Amador & Sónia Cabral, 2008. "The Portuguese Export Performance in Perspective: A Constant Market Share Analysis," Economic Bulletin and Financial Stability Report Articles, Banco de Portugal, Economics and Research Department.
- Andrea Finicelli & Massimo Sbracia & Andrea Zaghini, 2011.
"A disaggregated analysis of the export performance of some industrial and emerging countries,"
International Economics and Economic Policy,
Springer, vol. 8(1), pages 93-113, April.
- Finicelli, Andrea & Sbracia, Massimo & Zaghini, Andrea, 2008. "A disaggregated analysis of the export performance of some industrial and emerging countries," MPRA Paper 11000, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Peter K. Schott, 2004. "Across-product Versus Within-product Specialization in International Trade," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 119(2), pages 646-677, May.
- Jose Guilherme Reis & Thomas Farole, 2012. "Trade Competitiveness Diagnostic Toolkit," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 2248.
- Angela Cheptea & Guillaume Gaulier & Soledad Zignago, 2005.
"World Trade Competitiveness: A Disaggregated View by Shift-Share Analysis,"
2005-23, CEPII research center.
- Angela Cheptea & Guillaume Gaulier & Soledad Zignago, 2004. "The World Market: Market Shares and Export Performances," La Lettre du CEPII, CEPII research center, issue 231.
- Julia WÃ¶rz, 2005. "Skill Intensity in Foreign Trade and Economic Growth," Empirica, Springer, vol. 32(1), pages 117-144, 03.
- Marcos Poplawski-Ribeiro & Mauricio Villafuerte & Thomas Baunsgaard & Christine J. Richmond, 2012. "Fiscal Frameworks for Resource Rich Developing Countries," IMF Staff Discussion Notes 12/04, International Monetary Fund.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bfr:banfra:472. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael brassart)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.