A disaggregated analysis of the export performance of some industrial and emerging countries
The paper describes the evolution of export shares and quantifies the contribution of the geographical and sectoral specialization for some industrial and emerging market economies between 1985 and 2003. While the strong growth of emerging countries as world competitors has lowered the market shares of all industrial countries, the results of a constant-market-share analysis indicate that the latter have benefited from positive structural effects. Specifically, industrial countries gained from being specialized in either fast-growing sectors (high-tech) or destinations (Asia). The magnitude of these effects, however, has been quite diversified across countries.
|Date of creation:||2008|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Zhi Wang & Shang-Jin Wei, 2010.
"What Accounts for the Rising Sophistication of China's Exports?,"
in: China's Growing Role in World Trade, pages 63-104
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Zhi Wang & Shang-Jin Wei, 2008. "What Accounts for the Rising Sophistication of China's Exports?," NBER Working Papers 13771, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Stephan Danninger & Fred Joutz, 2008.
"What Explains Germany's Rebounding Export Market Share?,"
CESifo Economic Studies,
CESifo, vol. 54(4), pages 681-714, December.
- Stephan Danninger & Fred Joutz, 2007. "What Explains Germany’s Rebounding Export Market Share?," CESifo Working Paper Series 1957, CESifo Group Munich.
- Proudman, James & Redding, Stephen, 2000.
"Evolving Patterns of International Trade,"
Review of International Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 8(3), pages 373-96, August.
- Proudman, J. & Redding, S., 1998. "Evolving Patterns of International Trade," Economics Papers 144, Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford.
- James Proudman, 1998. "Evolving Patterns of International trade," Economics Series Working Papers 1998-W11, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- James Proudman & Stephen Redding, 2000. "Evolving patterns of international trade," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 206, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Andrea Zaghini, 2005.
"Evolution of trade patterns in the new EU member states,"
The Economics of Transition,
The European Bank for Reconstruction and Development, vol. 13(4), pages 629-658, October.
- Andrea Zaghini, 2005. "Evolution of trade patterns in the new EU member states," Temi di discussione (Economic working papers) 568, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- Michele Alessandrini & Bassam Fattouh & Pasquale Scaramozzino, 2007. "The changing pattern of foreign trade specialization in Indian manufacturing," Oxford Review of Economic Policy, Oxford University Press, vol. 23(2), pages 270-291, Summer.
- Diana Weinhold & James Rauch, 1997.
"Openness, Specialization, and Productivity Growth in Less Developed Countries,"
NBER Working Papers
6131, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- James E. Rauch & Diana Weinhold, 1999. "Openness, Specialization, and Productivity Growth in Less Developed Countries," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 32(4), pages 1009-1027, August.
- Finicelli, Andrea & Liccardi, Alessandra & Sbracia, Massimo, 2005. "A New Indicator of Competitiveness for Italy and the Main Industrial and Emerging Countries," MPRA Paper 4703, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Melitz, Marc J, 2002.
"The Impact of Trade on Intra-Industry Reallocations and Aggregate Industry Productivity,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
3381, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Marc J. Melitz, 2003. "The Impact of Trade on Intra-Industry Reallocations and Aggregate Industry Productivity," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 71(6), pages 1695-1725, November.
- Mark J. Melitz, 2002. "The Impact of Trade on Intra-Industry Reallocations and Aggregate Industry Productivity," NBER Working Papers 8881, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Paola Caselli & Andrea Zaghini, 2005. "International specialization models in Latin America: the case of Argentina," Temi di discussione (Economic working papers) 558, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- Robert Stehrer & Julia Wörz, 2003.
"Technological convergence and trade patterns,"
Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv),
Springer;Institut für Weltwirtschaft (Kiel Institute for the World Economy), vol. 139(2), pages 191-219, June.
- Keith E. Maskus, 1991. "Comparing International Trade Data and Product and National Characteristics Data for the Analysis of Trade Models," NBER Chapters, in: International Economic Transactions: Issues in Measurement and Empirical Research, pages 17-60 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jonathan Eaton & Samuel Kortum, 2002. "Technology, Geography, and Trade," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 70(5), pages 1741-1779, September.
- Angela Cheptea & Guillaume Gaulier & Soledad Zignago, 2005.
"World Trade Competitiveness: A Disaggregated View by Shift-Share Analysis,"
2005-23, CEPII research center.
- Angela Cheptea & Guillaume Gaulier & Soledad Zignago, 2004. "The World Market: Market Shares and Export Performances," La Lettre du CEPII, CEPII research center, issue 231.
- Carolan, Terrie & Singh, Nirvikar & Talati, Cyrus, 1998. "The composition of U.S.-East Asia trade and changing comparative advantage," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 57(2), pages 361-389.
- Stephen Redding, 2002.
LSE Research Online Documents on Economics
210, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Frederick L Joutz & Stephan Danninger, 2007. "What Explains Germanyâ€™s Rebounding Export Market Share?," IMF Working Papers 07/24, International Monetary Fund.
- Richardson, J. David, 1971. "Constant-market-shares analysis of export growth," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 1(2), pages 227-239, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:11000. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.