Persistence vs. mobility in industrial and technological specialisations: Evidence from 11 Euro area countries
This paper analyses the evolution of the specialisation pattern of 11 Euro area countries by analysing their comparative and technological advantages over the period 1990-2008. Using the estimation of marginal densities and Markov transition probabilities, we examine both the external shape of the distribution of technological and comparative advantages and the intradistribution dynamics. Our results point out that there is, on average, a high persistence in industrial specialisation patterns of the 11 Euro area countries under scrutiny, confirming a lock-in effect, notably for Italy. Nevertheless, our results related to technological specialisation reveal a large mobility of technological advantages during the same period, especially in Spain.
|Date of creation:||2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Note:||View the original document on HAL open archive server: https://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/hal-00854101|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: https://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ethier, Wilfred, 1979. "Internationally decreasing costs and world trade," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 9(1), pages 1-24, February.
- Bent Dalum & Keld Laursen & Gert Villumsen, 1998. "Structural Change in OECD Export Specialisation Patterns: de-specialisation and 'stickiness'," International Review of Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 12(3), pages 423-443.
- Deardorff, Alan V, 1974. "Factor Proportions and Comparative Advantage in the Long Run: Comment," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 82(4), pages 829-33, July/Aug..
- R. Dornbusch & S. Fischer & P. A. Samuelson, 1976.
"Comparative Advantage, Trade and Payments in a Ricardian Model With a Continuum of Goods,"
178, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Dornbusch, Rudiger & Fischer, Stanley & Samuelson, Paul A, 1977. "Comparative Advantage, Trade, and Payments in a Ricardian Model with a Continuum of Goods," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 67(5), pages 823-39, December.
- Michele Alessandrini & Bassam Fattouh & Pasquale Scaramozzino, 2007. "The changing pattern of foreign trade specialization in Indian manufacturing," Oxford Review of Economic Policy, Oxford University Press, vol. 23(2), pages 270-291, Summer.
- Luca De Benedictis & Massimo Tamberi, 2004. "Overall Specialization Empirics: Techniques and Applications," Open Economies Review, Springer, vol. 15(4), pages 323-346, October.
- Chiappini, Raphaël, 2011. "Dynamique des specialisations et performances commerciales des pays d’Europe centrale et orientale," Revue d'études comparatives Est-Ouest, Editions NecPlus, vol. 42(02), pages 165-193, June.
- Chiappini, Raphaël, 2011. "Comment mesurer la compétitivité structurelle des pays dans les équations d’exportation ?," L'Actualité Economique, Société Canadienne de Science Economique, vol. 87(1), pages 31-57, mars.
- Andrea Brasili & Paolo Epifani & Rodolfo Helg, 1999.
"On the dynamics of trade patterns,"
LIUC Papers in Economics
61, Cattaneo University (LIUC).
- Andrea Brasili & Paolo Epifani & Rodolfo Helg, 2000. "On the Dynamics of Trade Patterns," International Trade 0004006, EconWPA.
- Andrea Brasili & Paolo Epifani & Rodolfo Helg, 2000. "On the Dynamics of Trade Patterns," KITeS Working Papers 115, KITeS, Centre for Knowledge, Internationalization and Technology Studies, Universita' Bocconi, Milano, Italy, revised Jul 2000.
- Michele Alessandrini & Michael Enowbi Batuo, 2010.
"The trade specialization of SANE: Evidence from manufacturing industries,"
European Journal of Comparative Economics,
Cattaneo University (LIUC), vol. 7(1), pages 145-178, June.
- Alessandrini, Michele & Enowbi Batuo, Michael, 2008. "The Trade Specialization of SANE:Evidence from Manufacturing Industries," MPRA Paper 13216, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Imre Ferto, 2007. "The Dynamics of Trade in Central and Eastern European Countries," Managing Global Transitions, University of Primorska, Faculty of Management Koper, vol. 5(1), pages 5-23.
- Raphaël Chiappini, 2010. "Dynamique des spécialisations et performances commerciales des pays d'Europe centrale et orientale (PECO)," Working Papers hal-00637591, HAL.
- Ethier, Wilfred J, 1982. "National and International Returns to Scale in the Modern Theory of International Trade," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 72(3), pages 389-405, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hal:wpaper:hal-00854101. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (CCSD)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.