Dynamique des spécialisations et performances commerciales des pays d'Europe centrale et orientale (PECO)
This paper investigates the impact of trade specialization on export's performances of seven Central and Eastern European countries between 1992 and 2008. We use a dynamic method based on Revealed Comparative Advantages. We show that former USSR countries have increased their specialization in raw materials, whereas other CEEC countries have developed new comparative advantages, mainly in the automotive sector. Finally, using a Constant Market Share Analysis, we show that since 2000 export performances of Russia and Ukraine are entirely due to trade specialization unlike other CEEC export performances which are mainly the result of a good external competitiveness, even if specialization effect contributes positively.
|Date of creation:||22 Jul 2010|
|Date of revision:|
|Note:||View the original document on HAL open archive server: https://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/hal-00637591v2|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: https://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Imre Ferto, 2007. "The Dynamics of Trade in Central and Eastern European Countries," Managing Global Transitions, University of Primorska, Faculty of Management Koper, vol. 5(1), pages 5-23.
- Rudiger Ahrend, 2006.
"Russian Industrial Restructuring: Trends in Productivity, Competitiveness and Comparative Advantage,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 18(3), pages 277-295.
- Rudiger Ahrend, 2004. "Russian Industrial Restructuring: Trends in Productivity, Competitiveness and Comparative Advantage," OECD Economics Department Working Papers 408, OECD Publishing.
- Gene M. Grossman & Elhanan Helpman, 1991.
"Quality Ladders in the Theory of Growth,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Oxford University Press, vol. 58(1), pages 43-61.
- Grossman, G.M. & Helpman, E., 1989. "Quality Ledders In The Theory Of Growth," Papers 148, Princeton, Woodrow Wilson School - Public and International Affairs.
- Gene M. Grossman & Elhanan Helpman, 1989. "Quality Ladders in the Theory of Growth," NBER Working Papers 3099, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Iwata, Kazumasa, 1989. "Comments 'differences in income elasticities and trends in real exchange rates' by Paul Krugman," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 33(5), pages 1047-1049, May.
- Landesmann, Michael A. & Stehrer, Robert, 2001. "Convergence patterns and switchovers in comparative advantage," Structural Change and Economic Dynamics, Elsevier, vol. 12(4), pages 399-423, December.
- Filippo di Mauro & Robert Anderton & Ekkehard Ernst & Laurent Maurin & Sonia Pokutova & Wim Melyn & Axel Jochem & N. M. Pakinezou & Javier Torres & Remy Lecat & Mark Cassidy & Roberto Tedeschi & Erik , 2005. "Competitiveness and the export performance of the euro area," Occasional Paper Series 30, European Central Bank.
- Krugman, Paul, 1989.
"Differences in income elasticities and trends in real exchange rates,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 33(5), pages 1031-1046, May.
- Paul Krugman, 1988. "Differences In Income Elasticities and Trends in Real Exchange Rates," NBER Working Papers 2761, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bent Dalum & Keld Laursen & Gert Villumsen, 1998. "Structural Change in OECD Export Specialisation Patterns: de-specialisation and 'stickiness'," International Review of Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 12(3), pages 423-443.
- Stephen Redding, 2002.
LSE Research Online Documents on Economics
210, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Algieri, Bernadina, 2004. "Trade specialisation patterns : the case of Russia," BOFIT Discussion Papers 19/2004, Bank of Finland, Institute for Economies in Transition.
- Andrea Zaghini, 2005.
"Evolution of trade patterns in the new EU member states,"
The Economics of Transition,
The European Bank for Reconstruction and Development, vol. 13(4), pages 629-658, October.
- Andrea Zaghini, 2005. "Evolution of trade patterns in the new EU member states," Temi di discussione (Economic working papers) 568, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- Andersson, Martin & Ejermo, Olof, 2006.
"Technology and Trade - an analysis of technology specialization and export flows,"
Working Paper Series in Economics and Institutions of Innovation
65, Royal Institute of Technology, CESIS - Centre of Excellence for Science and Innovation Studies.
- Martin, Andersson & Ejermo, Olof, 2006. "Technology and Trade - an analysis of technology specialization and export flows," Papers in Innovation Studies 2006/5, Lund University, CIRCLE - Center for Innovation, Research and Competences in the Learning Economy.
- João Amador & Sónia Cabral, 2008. "The Portuguese Export Performance in Perspective: A Constant Market Share Analysis," Economic Bulletin and Financial Stability Report Articles, Banco de Portugal, Economics and Research Department.
- Jan Fagerberg & Gunnar Sollie, 1987. "The method of constant market shares analysis reconsidered," Working Papers Archives 1987001, Centre for Technology, Innovation and Culture, University of Oslo.
- Alwyn Young, 1991. "Learning by Doing and the Dynamic Effects of International Trade," NBER Working Papers 3577, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bernardina Algieri, 2007. "Trade Specialisation Dynamics in Russia," Comparative Economic Studies, Palgrave Macmillan;Association for Comparative Economic Studies, vol. 49(2), pages 232-258, June.
- Angela Cheptea & Guillaume Gaulier & Soledad Zignago, 2005.
"World Trade Competitiveness: A Disaggregated View by Shift-Share Analysis,"
2005-23, CEPII research center.
- Angela Cheptea & Guillaume Gaulier & Soledad Zignago, 2004. "The World Market: Market Shares and Export Performances," La Lettre du CEPII, CEPII research center, issue 231.
- Richardson, J. David, 1971. "Constant-market-shares analysis of export growth," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 1(2), pages 227-239, May.
- Schatz, Klaus-Werner, 1989. "Comments 'differences in income elasticities and trends in real exchange rates' by Paul Krugman," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 33(5), pages 1050-1054, May.
- Garanina, Olga, 2008. "What beyond oil and gas? : Russian trade specialisation in manufactures," BOFIT Discussion Papers 23/2008, Bank of Finland, Institute for Economies in Transition.
- Lucas, Robert Jr., 1988. "On the mechanics of economic development," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 22(1), pages 3-42, July.
- Milana, Carlo, 1988. "Constant-market-shares analysis and index number theory," European Journal of Political Economy, Elsevier, vol. 4(4), pages 453-478.
- Karl Aiginger & Stephen W. Davies, 2004. "Industrial specialisation and geographic concentration: Two sides of the same coin? Not for the European Union," Journal of Applied Economics, Universidad del CEMA, vol. 7, pages 231-248, November.
- Simonis, Dominique, 2000. "Export Performance In Eastern Europe," ERSA conference papers ersa00p176, European Regional Science Association.
- Richardson, J David, 1971. "Some Sensitivity Tests for a 'Constant-Market-Shares' Analysis of Export Growth," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 53(3), pages 300-04, August.
- Michele Alessandrini & Michael Enowbi Batuo, 2010. "The trade specialization of SANE: Evidence from manufacturing industries," European Journal of Comparative Economics, Cattaneo University (LIUC), vol. 7(1), pages 145-178, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hal:wpaper:hal-00637591. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (CCSD)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.