Who gains and who loses from China’s growth?
Emerging countries have been winning large market shares since the early 1990s. Among these, China stands out with the most remarkable performance: it almost tripled its world market share becoming a leading exporter, second only to EU 27. Products exported by China incorporate, however, a large share of foreign inputs. By 2007 one tenth of internationally traded products were shipped to China. These recent evolutions reveal the large and growing domestic market potential and explain the increasing attractiveness of the Chinese market to foreign producers. The present paper attempts to identify the countries that profit and suffer the most from the recent expansion of the Chinese market. I use an econometric shift-share methodology that permits to identify for each trade flow the share of growth arising from the capacity to target the products and markets with the highest increase in demand, and the share due exclusively to exporter's performance.
|Date of creation:||2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.rennes.inra.fr/smart_eng/Working-Papers-SMART-LERECO|
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Lionel Fontagné & Guillaume Gaulier & Soledad Zignago, 2007.
"Specialisation across Varieties within Products and North-South Competition,"
2007-06, CEPII research center.
- Lionel Fontagné & Guillaume Gaulier & Soledad Zignago, 2008. "Specialization across varieties and North-South competition," Economic Policy, CEPR;CES;MSH, vol. 23, pages 51-91, 01.
- João Amador & Sónia Cabral, 2008. "The Portuguese Export Performance in Perspective: A Constant Market Share Analysis," Economic Bulletin and Financial Stability Report Articles, Banco de Portugal, Economics and Research Department.
- Cheptea, Angela, 2011.
"Who Gains and Who Loses from China's Growth?,"
2011 International Congress, August 30-September 2, 2011, Zurich, Switzerland
114299, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Cheptea, Angela, 2012. "Who gains and who loses from China’s growth?," 131st Seminar, September 18-19, 2012, Prague, Czech Republic 135788, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Angela Cheptea, 2012. "Who gains and who loses from China’s growth?," Working Papers SMART - LERECO 12-03, INRA UMR SMART.
- Angela Cheptea & Lionel Fontagné & Soledad Zignago, 2010.
"European Export Performance,"
2010-12, CEPII research center.
- Angela Cheptea & Lionel Fontagné & Soledad Zignago, 2014. "European export performance," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 150(1), pages 25-58, February.
- Cheptea, A. & Fontagné, L. & Zignago, S., 2012. "European Export Performance," Working papers 393, Banque de France.
- Angela Cheptea & Lionel Fontagné & Soledad Zignago, 2014. "European Export Performance," Université Paris1 Panthéon-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers) hal-00975534, HAL.
- Angela Cheptea & Lionel Fontagné & Soledad Zignago, 2012. "European Export Performance," Working Papers 2012-19, CEPII research center.
- Finicelli, Andrea & Sbracia, Massimo & Zaghini, Andrea, 2008.
"A disaggregated analysis of the export performance of some industrial and emerging countries,"
11000, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Andrea Finicelli & Massimo Sbracia & Andrea Zaghini, 2011. "A disaggregated analysis of the export performance of some industrial and emerging countries," International Economics and Economic Policy, Springer, vol. 8(1), pages 93-113, April.
- Guillaume Gaulier & Soledad Zignago, 2010.
"BACI: International Trade Database at the Product-Level. The 1994-2007 Version,"
2010-23, CEPII research center.
- Gaulier, Guillaume & Zignago, Soledad, 2004. "Notes on BACI (analytical database of international trade). 1989-2002 version," MPRA Paper 32401, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Angela Cheptea & Guillaume Gaulier & Soledad Zignago, 2004.
"The World Market: Market Shares and Export Performances,"
La Lettre du CEPII,
CEPII research center, issue 231.
- Angela Cheptea & Guillaume Gaulier & Soledad Zignago, 2005. "World Trade Competitiveness: A Disaggregated View by Shift-Share Analysis," Working Papers 2005-23, CEPII research center.
- Keld Laursen, 1996.
"The Impact of Technological Opportunity on the Dynamics of Trade Performance,"
DRUID Working Papers
96-12, DRUID, Copenhagen Business School, Department of Industrial Economics and Strategy/Aalborg University, Department of Business Studies.
- Laursen, Keld, 1999. "The impact of technological opportunity on the dynamics of trade performance," Structural Change and Economic Dynamics, Elsevier, vol. 10(3-4), pages 341-357, December.
- Fagerberg, Jan, 1988.
Royal Economic Society, vol. 98(391), pages 355-74, June.
- Brenton, Paul & Newfarmer, Richard, 2007. "Watching more than the Discovery channel : export cycles and diversification in development," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4302, The World Bank.
- Athanasoglou, Panayiotis & Backinezos, Constantina & Georgiou, Evangelia, 2010.
"Export performance, competitiveness and commodity composition,"
31997, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Athanasoglou Panagiotis & Backinezos Constantina & Evagelia A. Georgiou, 2010. "Export performance, competitiveness and commodity composition," Working Papers 114, Bank of Greece.
- Fagerberg, Jan, 1988. "International Competitiveness: Errata," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 98(393), pages 1203, December.
- Cafiso, Gianluca, 2009. "The Export Performance of the Euro Area countries in the period 1996-2007," MPRA Paper 20263, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- repec:hal:journl:hal-00975534 is not listed on IDEAS
- Ricardo C. Gazel & R. Keith Schwer, 1998. "Growth of International Exports among the States: Can a Modified Shift-Share Analysis Explain it?," International Regional Science Review, , vol. 21(2), pages 185-204, August.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:rae:wpaper:201203. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Anne Chauvel)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.