ICT Demand Behaviour: an International Comparison
This study aims to provide some empirical explanations for the gaps in ICT diffusion between industrialized countries, especially European countries vis-à-vis the United States. The panel data cover eleven OECD countries: Austria, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Italy, Japan, the Netherlands, Spain, the United Kingdom and the United States. These annual macroeconomic data span the 1981-2005 period.The analysis provides some original results: (i) the impact on ICT diffusion of the level of education and market rigidities has changed over time. The correlation of ICT diffusion, positive with the level of education and negative with market rigidities, increased over time (in absolute terms) until the middle of the 1990s; (ii) In each country, the estimates show a decrease over time of the price-elasticity of demand for ICT (in absolute terms). More precisely, the elasticity of substitution of ICT vis-à-vis all production factors are close to or greater than 2 at the beginning of the 1980s and close to 1 in the middle of the 2000s; (iii) The estimates confirm the positive impact of the share of the population with a higher education and the negative impact of market rigidities on ICT diffusion. These effects are heightened when ICT diffusion is already substantial
|Date of creation:||2009|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.banque-france.fr/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Davidson, Russell & MacKinnon, James G., 1993. "Estimation and Inference in Econometrics," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780195060119, March.
- Ark, Bart van, 2002. "ICT investments and growth accounts for the European Union," GGDC Research Memorandum 200256, Groningen Growth and Development Centre, University of Groningen.
- Nicholas Oulton, 2002.
"ICT and Productivity Growth in the United Kingdom,"
Oxford Review of Economic Policy,
Oxford University Press, vol. 18(3), pages 363-379.
- Antipa, P. & Cette, G. & Frey, L. & Lecat, R. & Vigna, O., 2008.
"Recent trends in productivity: structural acceleration in the euro area and deceleration in the United States?,"
Quarterly selection of articles - Bulletin de la Banque de France,
Banque de France, issue 11, pages 33-50, Spring.
- Antipa, P. & Cette, G. & Frey, L. & Lecat, R. & Vigna, O., 2007. "Évolutions récentes de la productivité : accélération structurelle dans la zone euro et ralentissement structurel aux États-Unis ?," Bulletin de la Banque de France, Banque de France, issue 164, pages 25-35.
- Stacey Tevlin & Karl Whelan, 2000.
"Explaining the investment boom of the 1990s,"
Finance and Economics Discussion Series
2000-11, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Bart van Ark & Mary O'Mahoney & Marcel P. Timmer, 2008. "The Productivity Gap between Europe and the United States: Trends and Causes," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 22(1), pages 25-44, Winter.
- Charles R. Nelson & Richard Startz, 1988.
"The Distribution of the Instrumental Variables Estimator and Its t-RatioWhen the Instrument is a Poor One,"
NBER Technical Working Papers
0069, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Nelson, Charles R & Startz, Richard, 1990. "The Distribution of the Instrumental Variables Estimator and Its t-Ratio When the Instrument Is a Poor One," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 63(1), pages S125-40, January.
- Nelson, C. & Startz, R., 1988. "The Distribution Of The Instrumental Variables Estimator And Its T-Ratio When The Instrument Is A Poor One," Discussion Papers in Economics at the University of Washington 88-07, Department of Economics at the University of Washington.
- Nelson, C. & Startz, R., 1988. "The Distribution Of The Instrumental Variables Estimator And Its T-Ratio When The Instrument Is A Poor One," Working Papers 88-07, University of Washington, Department of Economics.
- Bruno Amable & Donatella Gatti, 2006. "Labor and product market reforms: questioning policy complementarity," Industrial and Corporate Change, Oxford University Press, vol. 15(1), pages 101-122, February.
- Olivier Blanchard & Francesco Giavazzi, .
"Macroeconomic effects of regulation and deregulation in goods and labor markets,"
187, IGIER (Innocenzo Gasparini Institute for Economic Research), Bocconi University.
- Olivier Blanchard & Francesco Giavazzi, 2003. "Macroeconomic Effects Of Regulation And Deregulation In Goods And Labor Markets," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 118(3), pages 879-907, August.
- Olivier Blanchard & Francesco Giavazzi, 2001. "Macroeconomic Effects of Regulation and Deregulation in Goods and Labor Markets," NBER Working Papers 8120, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Blanchard, Olivier J & Giavazzi, Francesco, 2001. "Macroeconomic Effects of Regulation and Deregulation in Goods and Labour Markets," CEPR Discussion Papers 2713, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Philippe Aghion & Peter Howitt, 2006. "Joseph Schumpeter Lecture Appropriate Growth Policy: A Unifying Framework," Journal of the European Economic Association, MIT Press, vol. 4(2-3), pages 269-314, 04-05.
- Jushan Bai & Pierre Perron, 1998.
"Estimating and Testing Linear Models with Multiple Structural Changes,"
Econometric Society, vol. 66(1), pages 47-78, January.
- Perron, P. & Bai, J., 1995. "Estimating and Testing Linear Models with Multiple Structural Changes," Cahiers de recherche 9552, Centre interuniversitaire de recherche en économie quantitative, CIREQ.
- Perron, P. & Bai, J., 1995. "Estimating and Testing Linear Models with Multiple Structural Changes," Cahiers de recherche 9552, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- Nicolas Dromel & Gilbert Cette & Renaud Bourlès & Philippe Askenazy & Philippe Aghion, 2008.
"Distance à la frontière technologique, rigidités de marché, éducation et croissance,"
Économie et Statistique,
Programme National Persée, vol. 419(1), pages 11-30.
- Gilbert Cette & Jimmy Lopez, 2009. "Comportement de demande de TIC : une comparaison internationale," Economie Internationale, CEPII research center, issue 119, pages 83-114.
- Cette, G. & Lopez, J. & Noual, P-A., 2004. "Investment in Information and Communication Technologies: an Empirical Analysis," Working papers 116, Banque de France.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bfr:banfra:252. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael brassart)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.