Education, Market Rigidities and Growth
This note investigates the effects of the education level, product market rigidities and employment protection legislation on growth. It exploits macro-panel data for OECD countries. For countries close to the technological frontier, education and rigidities are significantly related to TFP growth. The contribution of the interaction between product market regulation and labour market rigidity seems particularly substantial.
|Date of creation:||Nov 2007|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||published in: Economics Letters, 2009, 102 (1), 62-65|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: IZA, P.O. Box 7240, D-53072 Bonn, Germany|
Phone: +49 228 3894 223
Fax: +49 228 3894 180
Web page: http://www.iza.org
|Order Information:|| Postal: IZA, Margard Ody, P.O. Box 7240, D-53072 Bonn, Germany|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Giuseppe Nicoletti & Stefano Scarpetta, 2005. "Regulation and Economic Performance: Product Market Reforms and Productivity in the OECD," OECD Economics Department Working Papers 460, OECD Publishing.
- Nicoletti, Giuseppe & Scarpetta, Stefano, 2003.
"Regulation, productivity, and growth : OECD evidence,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
2944, The World Bank.
- Giuseppe Nicoletti & Stefano Scarpetta, 2003. "Regulation, productivity and growth: OECD evidence," Economic Policy, CEPR;CES;MSH, vol. 18(36), pages 9-72, 04.
- Giuseppe Nicoletti & Stefano Scarpetta, 2003. "Regulation, Productivity and Growth: OECD Evidence," OECD Economics Department Working Papers 347, OECD Publishing.
- Daniel Cohen & Marcelo Soto, 2001.
"Growth and Human Capital: Good Data, Good Results,"
OECD Development Centre Working Papers
179, OECD Publishing.
- Ian Babetskii & Nauro F. Campos, 2007.
"Does Reform Work? An Econometric Examination of the Reform-Growth Puzzle,"
2007/2, Czech National Bank, Research Department.
- Babetskii, Ian & Campos, Nauro F, 2007. "Does Reform Work? An Econometric Examination of the Reform-Growth Puzzle," IZA Discussion Papers 2638, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Ian Babetskii & Nauro F. Campos, 2007. "Does Reform Work? An Econometric Examination of the Reform-Growth Puzzle," CERGE-EI Working Papers wp322, The Center for Economic Research and Graduate Education - Economics Institute, Prague.
- Babetskii, Ian & Campos, Nauro F, 2007. "Does Reform Work? An Econometric Examination of the Reform-Growth Puzzle," CEPR Discussion Papers 6215, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Babetskii, Ian & Campos, Nauro F., 2007. "Does reform work? : An econometric examination of the reform-growth puzzle," BOFIT Discussion Papers 13/2007, Bank of Finland, Institute for Economies in Transition.
- Ian Babetskii & Nauro Campos, 2006. "Does Reform Work? An Econometric Examination of the Reform-Growth Puzzle," William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series wp870, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Saint-Paul, Gilles, 1997.
"Is labour rigidity harming Europe's competitiveness? The effect of job protection on the pattern of trade and welfare,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 41(3-5), pages 499-506, April.
- Saint-Paul, G., 1995. "Is Labour Rigidity Harming Europe's Competitiveness? The Effect of Job Protection on the Pattern of Trade and Welfare," DELTA Working Papers 95-38, DELTA (Ecole normale supérieure).
- Gilles Saint Paul, 1999.
"The political economy of employment protection,"
Economics Working Papers
355, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- Davidson, Russell & MacKinnon, James G., 1993. "Estimation and Inference in Econometrics," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780195060119, December.
- Andrea Bassanini & Ekkehard Ernst, 2006.
"Labour market institutions, product market regulation and innovation: Cross-country evidence,"
- Andrea Bassanini & Ekkehard Ernst, 2002. "Labour Market Institutions, Product Market Regulation, and Innovation: Cross-Country Evidence," OECD Economics Department Working Papers 316, OECD Publishing.
- Bourlès, R. & Cette, G., 2006.
"Trends in "structural" productivity levels in the major industrialized countries,"
156, Banque de France.
- Bourles, Renaud & Cette, Gilbert, 2007. "Trends in "structural" productivity levels in the major industrialized countries," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 95(1), pages 151-156, April.
- Nicholas Crafts, 2006. "Regulation and Productivity Performance," Oxford Review of Economic Policy, Oxford University Press, vol. 22(2), pages 186-202, Summer.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:iza:izadps:dp3166. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mark Fallak)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.