Stock exchanges industry consolidation and shock transmission
Stock exchange industry consolidation is at work since many years and has recently accelerated through competition for order flows, agreements and mergers. However, consolidation may not mean that all shocks are transmitted to every place. Therefore, following Forbes and Rigobon (2002) we distinguish convergence (as interdependence) from contagion. Long run interdependence is analyzed through overlapping rolling cointegration and shocks on correlations through multivariate GARCH models. The models are estimated on daily data from January 1 1994 and April 30 2006. We consider the DAX30, the CAC40, the FTSE100 and the NYSE indexes. We identify stock exchanges convergence between European places. However we mainly witness a leading role of the US market even after the euro area creation. Finally, dynamic correlations still exert local shocks while others are effectively transmitted.
|Date of creation:||2006|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Banque de France 31 Rue Croix des Petits Champs LABOLOG - 49-1404 75049 PARIS|
Web page: http://www.banque-france.fr/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Lorenzo Cappiello & Robert F. Engle & Kevin Sheppard, 2006.
"Asymmetric Dynamics in the Correlations of Global Equity and Bond Returns,"
Journal of Financial Econometrics,
Society for Financial Econometrics, vol. 4(4), pages 537-572.
- Sheppard, Kevin & Cappiello, Lorenzo & Engle, Robert F., 2003. "Asymmetric dynamics in the correlations of global equity and bond returns," Working Paper Series 0204, European Central Bank.
- Kristin J. Forbes & Roberto Rigobon, 2002.
"No Contagion, Only Interdependence: Measuring Stock Market Comovements,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 57(5), pages 2223-2261, October.
- Kristin Forbes & Roberto Rigobon, 1999. "No Contagion, Only Interdependence: Measuring Stock Market Co-movements," NBER Working Papers 7267, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Billio, Monica & Pelizzon, Loriana, 2003. "Contagion and interdependence in stock markets: Have they been misdiagnosed?," Journal of Economics and Business, Elsevier, vol. 55(5-6), pages 405-426.
- Hasbrouck, Joel, 1995. " One Security, Many Markets: Determining the Contributions to Price Discovery," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 50(4), pages 1175-99, September.
- Charles, Amelie & Darne, Olivier, 2006. "Large shocks and the September 11th terrorist attacks on international stock markets," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 23(4), pages 683-698, July.
- deB. Harris, Frederick H. & McInish, Thomas H. & Wood, Robert A., 2002. "Security price adjustment across exchanges: an investigation of common factor components for Dow stocks," Journal of Financial Markets, Elsevier, vol. 5(3), pages 277-308, July.
- Angelos Kanas, .
"Linkages between the US and European Equity Markets: Further Evidence from cointegration Tests,"
9804, University of Crete, Department of Economics.
- Angelos Kanas, 1998. "Linkages between the US and European equity markets: further evidence from cointegration tests," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 8(6), pages 607-614.
- Engle, Robert F & Sheppard, Kevin K, 2001.
"Theoretical and Empirical Properties of Dynamic Conditional Correlation Multivariate GARCH,"
University of California at San Diego, Economics Working Paper Series
qt5s2218dp, Department of Economics, UC San Diego.
- Robert F. Engle & Kevin Sheppard, 2001. "Theoretical and Empirical properties of Dynamic Conditional Correlation Multivariate GARCH," NBER Working Papers 8554, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Kasch-Haroutounian, Maria & Theissen, Erik, 2006.
"Competition between exchanges: Euronext versus Xetra,"
CFS Working Paper Series
2007/19, Center for Financial Studies (CFS).
- Maria Kasch-Haroutounian & Erik Theissen, 2009. "Competition between Exchanges: Euronext versus Xetra," European Financial Management, European Financial Management Association, vol. 15(1), pages 181-207.
- Kasch-Haroutounian, Maria & Theissen, Erik, 2006. "Competition between exchanges: Euronext versus Xetra," CFR Working Papers 07-10, University of Cologne, Centre for Financial Research (CFR).
- Masih, Rumi & Masih, Abul M. M., 2001. "Long and short term dynamic causal transmission amongst international stock markets," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 20(4), pages 563-587, August.
- Sébastien Laurent & Luc Bauwens & Jeroen V. K. Rombouts, 2006.
"Multivariate GARCH models: a survey,"
Journal of Applied Econometrics,
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 21(1), pages 79-109.
- BAUWENS, Luc & LAURENT, Sébastien & ROMBOUTS, Jeroen VK, . "Multivariate GARCH models: a survey," CORE Discussion Papers RP 1847, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- BAUWENS, Luc & LAURENT, Sébastien & ROMBOUTS, Jeroen, 2003. "Multivariate GARCH models: a survey," CORE Discussion Papers 2003031, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Tse, Y K & Tsui, Albert K C, 2002. "A Multivariate Generalized Autoregressive Conditional Heteroscedasticity Model with Time-Varying Correlations," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 20(3), pages 351-62, July.
- Hardouvelis, Gikas A & Malliaropoulos, Dimitrios & Priestley, Richard, 1999.
"EMU and European Stock Market Integration,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
2124, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Biais, Bruno & Martinez, Isabelle, 2001.
"Price Discovery Across the Rhine,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
2878, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Engle, Robert F, 1982. "Autoregressive Conditional Heteroscedasticity with Estimates of the Variance of United Kingdom Inflation," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(4), pages 987-1007, July.
- Cătălin Stărică & Clive Granger, 2005.
"Nonstationarities in Stock Returns,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 87(3), pages 503-522, August.
- Corsetti, Giancarlo & Pericoli, Marcello & Sbracia, Massimo, 2005.
"'Some contagion, some interdependence': More pitfalls in tests of financial contagion,"
Journal of International Money and Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 24(8), pages 1177-1199, December.
- Corsetti, Giancarlo & Pericoli, Marcello & Sbracia, Massimo, 2002. "Some Contagion, Some Interdependence: More Pitfalls in Tests of Financial Contagion," CEPR Discussion Papers 3310, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Kasa, Kenneth, 1992. "Common stochastic trends in international stock markets," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 29(1), pages 95-124, February.
- Engle, Robert F. & Kroner, Kenneth F., 1995. "Multivariate Simultaneous Generalized ARCH," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 11(01), pages 122-150, February.
- James J. McAndrews & Chris Stefanadis, 2002. "The consolidation of European stock exchanges," Current Issues in Economics and Finance, Federal Reserve Bank of New York, vol. 8(Jun).
- Bollerslev, Tim & Chou, Ray Y. & Kroner, Kenneth F., 1992. "ARCH modeling in finance : A review of the theory and empirical evidence," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 52(1-2), pages 5-59.
- deB. Harris, Frederick H. & McInish, Thomas H. & Shoesmith, Gary L. & Wood, Robert A., 1995. "Cointegration, Error Correction, and Price Discovery on Informationally Linked Security Markets," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 30(04), pages 563-579, December.
- Alexandros Benos & M. Crouhy, 1996. "Changes in the Structure and Dynamics of European Securities Markets," Working Papers hal-00515308, HAL.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bfr:banfra:159. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael brassart)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.