Understanding Asset Prices: Determinants and Policy Implications
The paper provides an overview of recent asset price developments in France in the light of analytical research carried out at the Banque de France. Like in many other countries, historically low interest rates have boosted asset price dynamics in France over recent years. The paper attempts to shed light on the main driving factors and assesses, in particular, the role played by "excess liquidity" in shaping current developments. Additional factors related to fierce competition in the French banking sector have also contributed to the upswing in residential property prices, exacerbating households' demand through credit expansion and leading to a sharp and unprecedented increase in household debt, consistent with a financial-accelerator-like mechanism. On several occasions over the past two years, the Banque de France has expressed its concerns about lending for housing purchase and housing price developments, both from a monetary and a financial stability perspective. Finally, the paper presents some views, based on in-house research, on the role, if any, that asset prices could play in the setting of monetary policy.
|Date of creation:||2007|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Banque de France 31 Rue Croix des Petits Champs LABOLOG - 49-1404 75049 PARIS|
Web page: http://www.banque-france.fr/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Avouyi-Dovi, S. & Neto, D., 2004. "Equity market interdependence: the relationship between European and US stock markets," Financial Stability Review, Banque de France, issue 4, pages 108-126, June.
- Grouard, M H. & Lévy, S. & Lubochinsky, C., 2003. "Stock market volatility: from empirical data to their interpretation," Financial Stability Review, Banque de France, issue 2, pages 57-74, June.
- James H. Stock & Mark W. Watson, 2001.
"Forecasting Output and Inflation: The Role of Asset Prices,"
NBER Working Papers
8180, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- James H. Stock & Mark W.Watson, 2003. "Forecasting Output and Inflation: The Role of Asset Prices," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 41(3), pages 788-829, September.
- James H. Stock & Mark W. Watson, 2001. "Forecasting output and inflation: the role of asset prices," Proceedings, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco, issue Mar.
- Julien Idier & Caroline Jardet & Aymeric de Loubens, 2008.
"Les déterminants des taux d'intérêt à long terme aux États-Unis et dans la zone euro : une approche multivariée,"
Economie & Prévision,
La Documentation Française, vol. 0(4), pages 13-32.
- Aymeric de Loubens & Caroline Jardet & Julien Idier, 2008. "Les déterminants des taux d’intérêt à long terme aux États-Unis et dans la zone euro : une approche multivariée," Économie et Prévision, Programme National Persée, vol. 185(4), pages 13-32.
- Andrés, Javier & López-Salido, J David & Nelson, Edward, 2004.
"Tobin's Imperfect Asset Substitution in Optimizing General Equilibrium,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
4336, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Javier Andres & J. David López-Salido & Edward Nelson, 2004. "Tobin's imperfect asset substitution in optimizing general equilibrium," Working Papers 2004-003, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis.
- Ben S. Bernanke & Mark Gertler, 2001. "Should Central Banks Respond to Movements in Asset Prices?," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 91(2), pages 253-257, May.
- Kristin Forbes & Roberto Rigobon, 1999.
"No Contagion, Only Interdependence: Measuring Stock Market Co-movements,"
NBER Working Papers
7267, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Kristin J. Forbes & Roberto Rigobon, 2002. "No Contagion, Only Interdependence: Measuring Stock Market Comovements," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 57(5), pages 2223-2261, October.
- Idier, J., 2006. "Stock exchanges industry consolidation and shock transmission," Working papers 159, Banque de France.
- Avouyi-Dovi, S. & Matheron, J., 2006. "Productivity and stock prices," Financial Stability Review, Banque de France, issue 8, pages 81-94, May.
- Christian Bordes & Laurent Clerc & Vêlayoudom Marimoutou, 2007.
"Is there a structural break in equilibrium velocity in the euro area?,"
Université Paris1 Panthéon-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers)
- Bordes, C. & Clerc, L. & Marimoutou, V., 2007. "Is there a structural break in equilibrium velocity in the euro area?," Working papers 165, Banque de France.
- Rudiger Ahrend & Pietro Catte & Robert W. R. Price, 2006. "Factors Behind Low Long-Term Interest Rates," OECD Economics Department Working Papers 490, OECD Publishing.
- Lecat, R. & Mésonnier, J-S., 2005. "Dynamique des prix des logements : quel rôle des facteurs financiers ?," Bulletin de la Banque de France, Banque de France, issue 133, pages 29-47.
- Haas, F., 2003. "Towards a “market continuum”? Structural models and interaction between credit and equity markets," Financial Stability Review, Banque de France, issue 2, pages 75-93, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bfr:banfra:168. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael brassart)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.