“Interrelation among Economic Growth, Income Inequality, and Fiscal Performance: Evidence from Anglo-Saxon Countries”
The interrelation among economic growth, income inequality, and fiscal performance is very complex. The paper provides the analysis of the interrelations among these variables jointly by the structural VAR methodology, examining also transmission channels among them. This approach allows exploring dynamic interactions among them and feedback effects on each other. The empirical analysis is implemented for the Anglo-Saxon countries, the UK, the USA, and Canada. We find that income inequality has negative effect on economic growth in the case of the UK. The effect is positive in the cases of the USA and Canada. The increase in income inequality worsens fiscal performance for all the countries.
|Date of creation:||Feb 2014|
|Date of revision:||Feb 2014|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Torre IV, Av. Diagonal 690, 08034 Barcelona|
Web page: http://www.ub.edu/aqr/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Alberto Alesina & Dani Rodrik, 1991.
"Distributive Politics and Economic Growth,"
NBER Working Papers
3668, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- King, Robert G. & Rebelo, Sergio T., 1993.
"Low frequency filtering and real business cycles,"
Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control,
Elsevier, vol. 17(1-2), pages 207-231.
- Roland Benabou, 1996.
"Inequality and Growth,"
NBER Working Papers
5658, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Galor, Oded & Moav, Omer, 1999.
"From Physical to Human Capital Accumulation: Inequality in the Process of Development,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
2307, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Oded Galor & Omer Moav, 2004. "From Physical to Human Capital Accumulation: Inequality and the Process of Development," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 71(4), pages 1001-1026.
- Oded Galor & Omer Moav, 1999. "From Physical to Human Capital Accumulation: Inequality in the Process of Development," Working Papers 99-27, Brown University, Department of Economics.
- Oded Galor & Omer Moav, 2004. "From Physical to Human Capital Accumulation: Inequality and the Process of Development," GE, Growth, Math methods 0410005, EconWPA.
- Stephen Knowles, 2005.
"Inequality and Economic Growth: The Empirical Relationship Reconsidered in the Light of Comparable Data,"
Journal of Development Studies,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 41(1), pages 135-159.
- Knowles, Stephen, 2001. "Inequality and Economic Growth: The Empirical Relationship Reconsidered in the Light of Comparable Data," Working Paper Series UNU-WIDER Research Paper , World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Clarke, George R. G., 1995.
"More evidence on income distribution and growth,"
Journal of Development Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 47(2), pages 403-427, August.
- Abhijit V. Banerjee & Esther Duflo, 2000.
"Inequality and Growth: What Can the Data Say?,"
NBER Working Papers
7793, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Xavier Ramos & Oriol Roca-Sagales, 2008. "Long-Term Effects of Fiscal Policy on the Size and Distribution of the Pie in the UK," Fiscal Studies, Institute for Fiscal Studies, vol. 29(3), pages 387-411, 09.
- Alesina, Alberto & Perotti, Roberto, 1996.
"Income distribution, political instability, and investment,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 40(6), pages 1203-1228, June.
- Alberto Alesina & Roberto Perotti, 1993. "Income Distribution, Political Instability, and Investment," NBER Working Papers 4486, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Mark D. Partridge, 2005. "Does Income Distribution Affect U.S. State Economic Growth?," Journal of Regional Science, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 45(2), pages 363-394.
- Laurence Ball & N Gregory Mankiw, 2002.
"The NAIRU in Theory and Practice,"
Economics Working Paper Archive
475, The Johns Hopkins University,Department of Economics.
- Laurence Ball & N. Gregory Mankiw, 2002. "The NAIRU in Theory and Practice," NBER Working Papers 8940, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Laurence Ball & N. Gregory Mankiw, 2002. "The NAIRU in Theory and Practice," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 1963, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Alberto Alesina & Dani Rodrik, 1994. "Distributive Politics and Economic Growth," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 109(2), pages 465-490.
- Leonel Muinelo & Oriol Roca-Sagalés, 2011.
"Economic Growth and Inequality: The Role of Fiscal Policies,"
wpdea1105, Department of Applied Economics at Universitat Autonoma of Barcelona.
- Leonel Muinelo‐Gallo & Oriol Roca‐Sagalés, 2011. "Economic Growth And Inequality: The Role Of Fiscal Policies," Australian Economic Papers, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 50(2-3), pages 74-97, 09.
- Phillips, Peter C. B., 1998.
"Impulse response and forecast error variance asymptotics in nonstationary VARs,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 83(1-2), pages 21-56.
- Peter C.B. Phillips, 1995. "Impulse Response and Forecast Error Variance Asymptotics in Nonstationary VAR's," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 1102, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Kristin J. Forbes, 2000. "A Reassessment of the Relationship between Inequality and Growth," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 90(4), pages 869-887, September.
- Hongyi Li & Heng-fu Zou, 1998.
"Income Inequality Is Not Harmful for Growth: Theory and Evidence,"
CEMA Working Papers
74, China Economics and Management Academy, Central University of Finance and Economics.
- Li, Hongyi & Zou, Heng-fu, 1998. "Income Inequality Is Not Harmful for Growth: Theory and Evidence," Review of Development Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 2(3), pages 318-34, October.
- Hector Sala & Oriol Roca-Sagalés, 2011. "Government Expenditures and the Growth-Inequality Trade-Off: The Swedish Case," Journal of Income Distribution, Journal of Income Distribution, vol. 20(2), pages 38-54, June.
- Sims, Christopher A, 1980. "Macroeconomics and Reality," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 48(1), pages 1-48, January.
- Woo, Jaejoon, 2011. "Growth, income distribution, and fiscal policy volatility," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 96(2), pages 289-313, November.
- Pesaran, H. Hashem & Shin, Yongcheol, 1998.
"Generalized impulse response analysis in linear multivariate models,"
Elsevier, vol. 58(1), pages 17-29, January.
- Pesaran, M. H. & Shin, Y., 1997. "Generalised Impulse Response Analysis in Linear Multivariate Models," Cambridge Working Papers in Economics 9710, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- A. B Atkinson & Andrew Leigh, 2013. "The Distribution of Top Incomes in Five Anglo-Saxon Countries Over the Long Run," The Economic Record, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 89, pages 31-47, 06.
- Leonel Muinelo-Gallo & Oriol Roca-Sagalés, 2012.
"Joint determinants of fiscal policy, income inequality and economic growth,"
Documentos de Trabajo (working papers)
12-04, Instituto de Economía - IECON.
- Muinelo-Gallo, Leonel & Roca-Sagalés, Oriol, 2013. "Joint determinants of fiscal policy, income inequality and economic growth," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 30(C), pages 814-824.
- David Castells-Quintana & Vicente Royuela, 2014.
"Agglomeration, inequality and economic growth,"
The Annals of Regional Science,
Springer;Western Regional Science Association, vol. 52(2), pages 343-366, March.
- Pytlarczyk, Ernest, 2005. "An estimated DSGE model for the German economy within the euro area," Discussion Paper Series 1: Economic Studies 2005,33, Deutsche Bundesbank, Research Centre.
- Robert J. Hodrick & Edward Prescott, 1981.
"Post-War U.S. Business Cycles: An Empirical Investigation,"
451, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Hodrick, Robert J & Prescott, Edward C, 1997. "Postwar U.S. Business Cycles: An Empirical Investigation," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 29(1), pages 1-16, February.
- Barro, Robert J, 2000. "Inequality and Growth in a Panel of Countries," Journal of Economic Growth, Springer, vol. 5(1), pages 5-32, March.
- Christophe Ehrhart, 2009. "The effects of inequality on growth: a survey of the theoretical and empirical literature," Working Papers 107, ECINEQ, Society for the Study of Economic Inequality.
- Pedro Cunha Neves & Sandra Tavares Silva, 2010. "Inequality and Growth: Uncovering the main conclusions from the empirics," FEP Working Papers 381, Universidade do Porto, Faculdade de Economia do Porto.
- Perotti, Roberto, 1996. "Growth, Income Distribution, and Democracy: What the Data Say," Journal of Economic Growth, Springer, vol. 1(2), pages 149-87, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:aqr:wpaper:201403. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Bibiana Barnadas)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.