Convergence in Global Food Demand and Delivery
Using food expenditures and food sales data over 1990-2004, this report examines whether food consumption and delivery trends are converging across 47 high- and middle-income countries. Middle-income countries, such as China and Mexico, appear to be following trends in high-income countries, measured across several dimensions of food system growth and change. Convergence is apparent in most important food expenditure categories and in indicators of food system modernization such as supermarket and fast-food sales.
|Date of creation:||Mar 2008|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 1400 Independence Ave.,SW, Mail Stop 1800, Washington, DC 20250-1800|
Web page: http://www.ers.usda.gov/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Seale, James L., Jr. & Regmi, Anita & Bernstein, Jason, 2003.
"International Evidence On Food Consumption Patterns,"
33580, United States Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service.
- Seale, James & Regmi, Anita & Bernstein, Jason, 2003. "International Evidence on Food Consumption Patterns," Technical Bulletins 184321, United States Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service.
- Herrmann, Roland & Roder, Claudia, 1995. "Does Food Consumption Converge Internationally? Measurement, Empirical Tests and Determinants," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 22(3), pages 400-414.
- Anonymous & Gehlhar, Mark J., 2005. "New Directions In Global Food Markets," Agricultural Information Bulletins 33751, United States Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service.
- Gil, Jose M & Gracia, A & Perez y Perez, L, 1995. "Food Consumption and Economic Development in the European Union," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 22(3), pages 385-99.
- Regmi, Anita & Unnevehr, Laurian J., 2006. "Are Diets Converging Globally? A Comparison of Trends Across Selected Countries," Journal of Food Distribution Research, Food Distribution Research Society, vol. 37(01), March.
- Blandford, David, 1984. "Changes in Food Consumption Patterns in the OECD Area," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 11(1), pages 43-64.
- Laurian J. Unnevehr, 2004. "Mad Cows and Bt Potatoes: Global Public Goods in the Food System," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 86(5), pages 1159-1166.
- Regmi, Anita & Unnevehr, Laurian J., 2005. "Convergence or Divergence in Food Demand: Comparison of Trends in the EU and North America," 2005 International Congress, August 23-27, 2005, Copenhagen, Denmark 24687, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:uersrr:56449. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.