Indonesia's Modern Retail Food Sector: Interaction With Changing Food Consumption and Trade Patterns
Indonesia’s food market has changed in response to a changing and growing economy. The report examines changes in the food consumption pattern and measures the growth of modern food retail chains, packaged food purchases, and food imports in the world’s fourth-most-populous country. The evidence suggests that Indonesians are moving toward modern global purchasing and consumption patterns, but more slowly than in some comparable countries. Barriers to foreign and domestic commerce, affecting the development of modern food retail supply chains, are important constraints on food market change in Indonesia. Further change in Indonesia’s retail food sector will help determine future growth in imports, including from the United States.
|Date of creation:||Jun 2012|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 1400 Independence Ave.,SW, Mail Stop 1800, Washington, DC 20250-1800|
Web page: http://www.ers.usda.gov/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Regmi, Anita & Takeshima, Hiroyuki & Unnevehr, Laurian J., 2008. "Convergence in Global Food Demand and Delivery," Economic Research Report 56449, United States Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service.
- Sharad Tandon & Andrea E. Woolverton & Maurice R. Landes, 2011. "Analyzing modern food retailing expansion drivers in developing countries," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 27(3), pages 327-343, 06.
- Larry Digal & Glory Dee Romo & Thomas Reardon, 2009.
"The Transformation of Food Retail in the Philippines,"
Asian Journal of Agriculture and Development,
Southeast Asian Regional Center for Graduate Study and Research in Agriculture, vol. 6(2), pages 51-84, December.
- Romo, Glory Dee & Digal, Larry & Reardon, Thomas, 2. "The Transformation of Food Retail in the Philippines," Asian Journal of Agriculture and Development, Southeast Asian Regional Center for Graduate Study and Research in Agriculture (SEARCA), vol. 6(2).
- Chowdhury, Shyamal & Gulati, Ashok & Gumbira-Sa'id, E., 2005. "High value products, supermarkets and vertical arrangements in Indonesia," MTID discussion papers 83, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Thomas Reardon & C. Peter Timmer & Christopher B. Barrett & Julio Berdegué, 2003. "The Rise of Supermarkets in Africa, Asia, and Latin America," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 85(5), pages 1140-1146.
- Daniel Suryadarma & Adri Poesoro & Sri Budiyati & Akhmadi & Meuthia Rosfadhila, 2007. "Impact of Supermarkets on Traditional Markets and Retailers in Indonesia's Urban Centers," Development Economics Working Papers 22548, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)