Assessing Consumer Willingness to Pay for Ground Bison Given Nutrition Information
According to the USDA National Nutrient Database for bison, the bison nutrient benefits include higher protein level, lower calories, lower fat, and lower cholesterol compared to various commercial meats, like skinless-chicken, beef, pork, lamb, and salmon. This study investigates how consumers evaluate fresh ground bison in terms of their willingness to pay. Results show that the variation of consumer knowledge on bison nutrition contributes to different levels of willingness to pay. Implications from this study suggest enhancing consumers’ knowledge of bison products would increase the sale of bison products.
|Date of creation:||Feb 2013|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.saea.org/|
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Sell, Randall S. & Bangsund, Dean A. & Leistritz, F. Larry, 2000. "Contribution Of The Bison Industry To The North Dakota Economy," Agricultural Economics Reports 23330, North Dakota State University, Department of Agribusiness and Applied Economics.
- Jacoby, Jacob & Chestnut, Robert W & Silberman, William, 1977. " Consumer Use and Comprehension of Nutrition Information," Journal of Consumer Research, Oxford University Press, vol. 4(2), pages 119-128, Se.
- Maria L. Loureiro & Azucena Gracia & Rodolfo M. Nayga, 2006. "Do consumers value nutritional labels?," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 33(2), pages 249-268, June.
- Berning Joshua P & Chouinard Hayley H & McCluskey Jill J, 2008. "Consumer Preferences for Detailed versus Summary Formats of Nutrition Information on Grocery Store Shelf Labels," Journal of Agricultural & Food Industrial Organization, De Gruyter, vol. 6(1), pages 1-22, August.
- McCluskey, Jill J. & Loureiro, Maria L., 2003. "Consumer Preferences And Willingness To Pay For Food Labeling: A Discussion Of Empirical Studies," Journal of Food Distribution Research, Food Distribution Research Society, vol. 34(03), November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:saea13:143079. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.