Traffic lights and food choice: A choice experiment examining the relationship between nutritional food labels and price
Download full text from publisher
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version below or search for a different version of it.
Other versions of this item:
- Kelvin Balcombe & Iain Fraser & Salvatore Di Falco, 2009. "Traffic Lights and Food Choice: A Choice Experiment Examining the Relationship Between Nutritional Food Labels and Price," Studies in Economics 0915, School of Economics, University of Kent.
References listed on IDEAS
- Maria L. Loureiro & Azucena Gracia & Rodolfo M. Nayga, 2006. "Do consumers value nutritional labels?," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 33(2), pages 249-268, June.
- Gracia, Azucena & Loureiro, Maria & Nayga, Rodolfo Jr., 2007. "Do consumers perceive benefits from the implementation of a EU mandatory nutritional labelling program?," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 32(2), pages 160-174, April.
- Kim, Sung-Yong & Nayga, Rodolfo M., Jr. & Capps, Oral, Jr., 2000. "The Effect Of Food Label Use On Nutrient Intakes: An Endogenous Switching Regression Analysis," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 25(01), July.
- Jayachandran N. Variyam, 2008. "Do nutrition labels improve dietary outcomes?," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 17(6), pages 695-708.
- Andreas C. Drichoutis & Panagiotis Lazaridis & Rodolfo M. Nayga, 2005. "Nutrition knowledge and consumer use of nutritional food labels," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 32(1), pages 93-118, March.
- Wim Verbeke, 2005. "Agriculture and the food industry in the information age," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 32(3), pages 347-368, September.
- Bond, Craig A. & Thilmany, Dawn D. & Bond, Jennifer Keeling, 2008. "What to Choose? The Value of Label Claims to Fresh Produce Consumers," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 33(3), December.
- Berning Joshua P & Chouinard Hayley H & McCluskey Jill J, 2008. "Consumer Preferences for Detailed versus Summary Formats of Nutrition Information on Grocery Store Shelf Labels," Journal of Agricultural & Food Industrial Organization, De Gruyter, vol. 6(1), pages 1-22, August.
- Balcombe, Kelvin & Chalak, Ali & Fraser, Iain, 2009. "Model selection for the mixed logit with Bayesian estimation," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 57(2), pages 226-237, March.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Debra Van Camp & Diogo M. de Souza Monteiro & Neal H. Hooker, 2012.
"Stop or go? How is the UK food industry responding to front-of-pack nutrition labels?,"
European Review of Agricultural Economics,
Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 39(5), pages 821-842, December.
- Van Camp, Debra & Souza Monteiro, Diogo M. & Hooker, Neal H., 2010. "Stop Or Go? How Is The Uk Food Industry Responding To Front-Of-Pack Nutrition Labels?," 115th Joint EAAE/AAEA Seminar, September 15-17, 2010, Freising-Weihenstephan, Germany 116400, European Association of Agricultural Economists;Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Jo, Jisung & Lusk, Jayson L. & Muller, Laurent & Ruffieux, Bernard, 2016.
"Value of parsimonious nutritional information in a framed field experiment,"
Elsevier, vol. 63(C), pages 124-133.
- Jo, Jisung & Lusk, Jayson & Muller, Laurent & Ruffieux, Bernard, 2016. "Value of parsimonious nutritional information in a framed field experiment," 2016 Annual Meeting, July 31-August 2, 2016, Boston, Massachusetts 235476, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Jisung Jo & Jayson L. Lusk & Laurent Muller & Bernard Ruffieux, 2016. "Value of parsimonious nutritional information in a framed field experiment," Post-Print hal-01458424, HAL.
- Y. Gómez & V. Martínez-Molés & J. Vila, 2016. "Spanish regulation for labeling of financial products: a behavioral-experimental analysis," Economia Politica: Journal of Analytical and Institutional Economics, Springer;Fondazione Edison, vol. 33(3), pages 355-378, December.
- Boeri, Marco & Brown, Hannah & Longo, Alberto, 2014. "The implications across Europe of the ‘horse meat scandal’ on the monetary value of meat authenticity and food safety in ready to heat lasagne: evidence from six countries," 2014 International Congress, August 26-29, 2014, Ljubljana, Slovenia 182830, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Angela Tarabella & Lelia Voinea, 2013. "Advantages and Limitations of the Front-of-Package (FOP) Labeling Systems in Guiding the Consumers’ Healthy Food Choice," The AMFITEATRU ECONOMIC journal, Academy of Economic Studies - Bucharest, Romania, vol. 15(33), pages 198-209, February.
- Kelvin Balcombe & Michail Bitzios & Iain Fraser & Janet Haddock-Fraser, 2014.
"Using Attribute Importance Rankings Within Discrete Choice Experiments: An Application to Valuing Bread Attributes,"
Journal of Agricultural Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 65(2), pages 446-462, June.
- Balcombe, Kelvin George & Bitzios, Michael & Fraser, Iain & Haddock-Fraser, Janet, 2012. "Using Attribute Importance Rankings within Discrete Choice Experiments: an application to Valuing Bread Attributes," 86th Annual Conference, April 16-18, 2012, Warwick University, Coventry, UK 134759, Agricultural Economics Society.
- Balcombe, Kelvin George & Bitzios, Michael & Fraser, Iain & Haddock-Fraser, Janet, 2013. "Using Attribute Importance Rankings within Discrete Choice Experiments: An Application to Valuing Bread Attributes," 2013 Conference (57th), February 5-8, 2013, Sydney, Australia 152151, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society.
- Michalopoulos, T. & Hogeveen, H. & Heuvelink, E. & Oude Lansink, A.G.J.M., 2013. "Public multi-criteria assessment for societal concerns and gradual labelling," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 40(C), pages 97-108.
- Sauthoff, Saramena & Danne, Michael & Mußhoff, Oliver, 2017. "To switch or not to switch? Understanding German consumers' willingness to pay for green electricity tariff attributes," DARE Discussion Papers 1707, Georg-August University of Göttingen, Department of Agricultural Economics and Rural Development (DARE).
- Cavaliere, Alessia & De Marchi, Elisa & Banterle, Alessandro, 2013.
"Time Preference and Health: The Problem of Obesity,"
2013 International European Forum, February 18-22, 2013, Innsbruck-Igls, Austria
164754, International European Forum on Innovation and System Dynamics in Food Networks.
- Alessia CAVALIERE & Elisa DE MARCHI & Alessandro BANTERLE, 2013. "Time preference and health: the problem of obesity," Departmental Working Papers 2013-13, Department of Economics, Management and Quantitative Methods at Università degli Studi di Milano.
- Balcombe, Kelvin & Bradley, Dylan & Fraser, Iain & Hussein, Mohamud, 2016. "Consumer preferences regarding country of origin for multiple meat products," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 64(C), pages 49-62.
- Øvrum, Arnstein & Alfnes, Frode & Almli, Valérie L. & Rickertsen, Kyrre, 2012. "Health information and diet choices: Results from a cheese experiment," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 37(5), pages 520-529.
- repec:eee:forpol:v:86:y:2018:i:c:p:76-85 is not listed on IDEAS
- Becker, Mark W. & Bello, Nora M. & Sundar, Raghav P. & Peltier, Chad & Bix, Laura, 2015. "Front of pack labels enhance attention to nutrition information in novel and commercial brands," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 56(C), pages 76-86.
- Wang, Emily Y. & Wei, Hongli & Caswell, Julie A., 2016. "The impact of mandatory trans fat labeling on product mix and consumer choice: A longitudinal analysis of the U.S. Market for margarine and spreads," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 64(C), pages 63-81.
- Berning, Joshua P. & Sprott, David E., 2011. "Examining the Effectiveness of Nutrition Information in a Simulated Shopping Environment," Journal of Food Distribution Research, Food Distribution Research Society, vol. 42(3), November.
- Pallante, Giacomo & Drucker, Adam G. & Sthapit, Sajal, 2016. "Assessing the potential for niche market development to contribute to farmers' livelihoods and agrobiodiversity conservation: Insights from the finger millet case study in Nepal," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 130(C), pages 92-105.
- Onozaka, Yuko & Lind Melbye, Elisabeth & Hansen, Havard, 2012. "What If You Stop and Think About it? Nutrition Logos and Product Selection Behavior," 2012 Annual Meeting, August 12-14, 2012, Seattle, Washington 124874, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Andy Grinnall & Simon Burnett, 2015. "First Catch Your Fish: Designing a “Low Energy Fish” Label," Sustainability, MDPI, Open Access Journal, vol. 7(5), pages 1-16, May.
- Hoefkens, Christine & Veettil, Prakashan Chellattan & Van Huylenbroeck, Guido & Van Camp, John & Verbeke, Wim, 2012. "What nutrition label to use in a catering environment? A discrete choice experiment," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 37(6), pages 741-750.
- Balogh, Péter & Békési, Dániel & Gorton, Matthew & Popp, József & Lengyel, Péter, 2016. "Consumer willingness to pay for traditional food products," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 61(C), pages 176-184.
- Erdem, Seda & McCarthy, Tony, 2016. "The effect of front-of-pack nutrition labelling formats on consumers’ food choices and decision-making: merging discrete choice experiment with an eye tracking experiment," 2016 Annual Meeting, July 31-August 2, 2016, Boston, Massachusetts 235864, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Hellyer, Nicole Elizabeth & Fraser, Iain & Haddock-Fraser, Janet, 2012. "Food choice, health information and functional ingredients: An experimental auction employing bread," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 37(3), pages 232-245.
- Defago, Daniel & Geng, José F. & Molina, Oswaldo & Santa María, Diego, 2017. "Digestible information: The impact of Multiple Traffic Light nutritional labeling in a developing country," MPRA Paper 79678, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Spinks, Jean & Mortimer, Duncan, 2015. "The effect of traffic lights and regulatory statements on the choice between complementary and conventional medicines in Australia: Results from a discrete choice experiment," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 124(C), pages 257-265.
More about this item
KeywordsNutrients Traffic Light System Choice experiment Bayesian mixed logit;
- C72 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Game Theory and Bargaining Theory - - - Noncooperative Games
- D01 - Microeconomics - - General - - - Microeconomic Behavior: Underlying Principles
- H41 - Public Economics - - Publicly Provided Goods - - - Public Goods
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:jfpoli:v:35:y:2010:i:3:p:211-220. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu). General contact details of provider: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/foodpol .