Modelling physical quantities of food and nutrients consumed from aggregate data – with an application to Finland
Anticipating the impact of changes in economic incentives on dietary quality and nutritional health requires knowledge of how physical quantities of food consumed respond to price and income variations. A problem arises, however, because physical quantities are: 1- not consistent aggregates in demand models; and 2- not measured at final/retail level in national statistics. The paper develops a solution by establishing explicitly the theoretical link between composite demand and physical quantities, from which a novel empirical approach to the estimation of nutrient elasticities is derived. It is applied to Finnish aggregate data from the National Accounts and Food Balance Sheets over the 1975-2006 period, and the results are used to assess the potential effectiveness of several incentive-based nutritional policy instruments.
|Date of creation:||2009|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.iaae-agecon.org/|
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Crawford, Ian & Laisney, Francois & Preston, Ian, 2003.
"Estimation of household demand systems with theoretically compatible Engel curves and unit value specifications,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 114(2), pages 221-241, June.
- Ian Crawford & Francois Laisney & Ian Preston, 2002. "Estimation of household demand systems with theoretically compatible Engel curves and unit value specifications," IFS Working Papers W02/17, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Preston, Ian & Laisney, François & Crawford, Ian A., 2002. "Estimation of Household Demand Systems with Theoretically Compatible Engel Curves and Unit Value Specifications," ZEW Discussion Papers 97-06 [rev.], ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Shin-Yi Chou & Michael Grossman & Henry Saffer, 2002.
"An Economic Analysis of Adult Obesity: Results from the Behavioral Risk Factor Surveillance System,"
NBER Working Papers
9247, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Chou, Shin-Yi & Grossman, Michael & Saffer, Henry, 2004. "An economic analysis of adult obesity: results from the Behavioral Risk Factor Surveillance System," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 23(3), pages 565-587, May.
- Bouamra-Mechemache, Zohra & Réquillart, Vincent & Soregaroli, Claudio & Trévisiol, Audrey, 2008.
"Demand for dairy products in the EU,"
Elsevier, vol. 33(6), pages 644-656, December.
- Moschini, G. & Moro, D., 1993. "A Food demand System for Canada," Papers 1-93, Gouvernement du Canada - Agriculture Canada.
- Beatty, Timothy K. M. & LaFrance, Jeffrey T, 2005.
"U.S. Demand for Food and Nutrition in the 20th Century,"
Department of Agricultural & Resource Economics, UC Berkeley, Working Paper Series
qt41f3z7cd, Department of Agricultural & Resource Economics, UC Berkeley.
- Beatty, Timothy K. M. & LaFrance, Jeffrey T, 2005. "U.S. demand for food and nutrition in the 20th century," CUDARE Working Paper Series 1002R, University of California at Berkeley, Department of Agricultural and Resource Economics and Policy, revised Aug 2005.
- Deaton, Angus S & Muellbauer, John, 1980. "An Almost Ideal Demand System," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 70(3), pages 312-26, June.
- Deaton, Angus, 1990.
"Price elasticities from survey data : Extensions and Indonesian results,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 44(3), pages 281-309, June.
- Deaton, A., 1988. "Price Elasticities From Survey Data: Extensions And Indonesian Results," Papers 138, Princeton, Woodrow Wilson School - Development Studies.
- Deaton, A., 1990. "Price Elasticities From Surveys Data: Extensions And Indonesian Results," Papers 69, World Bank - Living Standards Measurement.
- Srinivasan, Chittur S. & Shankar, Bhavani & Irz, Xavier T., 2005.
"An Assessment of the Potential Consumption Impacts of WHO Dietary Norms in OECD Countries,"
2005 International Congress, August 23-27, 2005, Copenhagen, Denmark
24564, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Srinivasan, C.S. & Irz, Xavier & Shankar, Bhavani, 2006. "An assessment of the potential consumption impacts of WHO dietary norms in OECD countries," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 31(1), pages 53-77, February.
- David Cutler & Edward Glaeser & Jesse Shapiro, 2003.
"Why Have Americans Become More Obese?,"
NBER Working Papers
9446, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Shapiro, Jesse & Glaeser, Edward & Cutler, David, 2003. "Why Have Americans Become More Obese," Scholarly Articles 2640583, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- David M. Cutler & Edward L. Glaeser & Jesse M. Shapiro, 2003. "Why Have Americans Become More Obese?," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 1994, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Moschini, GianCarlo & Moro, D., 1993. "Food Demand System for Canada, A," Staff General Research Papers Archive 12753, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Smed, Sinne & Jensen, Jorgen D. & Denver, Sigrid, 2007. "Socio-economic characteristics and the effect of taxation as a health policy instrument," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 32(5-6), pages 624-639.
- Moschini, Giancarlo & Moro, Daniele, 1993. "A Food Demand System for Canada," Technical Reports 243853, Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada.
- L. Wade, 1988. "Review," Public Choice, Springer, vol. 58(1), pages 99-100, July.
- Christopher J. Ruhm, 1996.
"Are Recessions Good For Your Health?,"
NBER Working Papers
5570, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Alain Carpentier & Hervé Guyomard, 2001. "Unconditional Elasticities in Two-Stage Demand Systems: An Approximate Solution," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 83(1), pages 222-229.
- Kuo S. Huang, 1996. "Nutrient Elasticities in a Complete Food Demand System," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 78(1), pages 21-29.
- Allais, Olivier & Bertail, Patrice & Nichele, Veronique, 2008. "The Effects of a "Fat Tax" on the Nutrient Intake of French Households," 2008 International Congress, August 26-29, 2008, Ghent, Belgium 43967, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Deaton, Angus, 1987. "Estimation of own- and cross-price elasticities from household survey data," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 36(1-2), pages 7-30.
- Reed, Albert J. & Levedahl, J. William & Clark, J. Stephen, 2003. "Commercial Disappearance and Composite Demand for Food with an Application to U.S. Meats," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 28(01), April.
- Timothy K.M. Beatty & Jeffrey T. LaFrance, 2005. "United States Demand for Food and Nutrition in the Twentieth Century," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 87(5), pages 1159-1166.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:iaae09:50324. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.