Estimation of household demand systems with theoretically compatible Engel curves and unit value specifications
We develop a method for estimation of price reactions using unit value data which exploits the implicit links between quantity and unit value choices. This allows us to combine appealing Engel curve specifications with a model of unit value determination in a way which is consistent with demand theory, unlike methods hitherto prominent in the literature. The method is applied to Czech data.
|Date of creation:||Oct 2002|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (+44) 020 7291 4800
Fax: (+44) 020 7323 4780
Web page: http://www.ifs.org.uk
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Postal: The Institute for Fiscal Studies 7 Ridgmount Street LONDON WC1E 7AE|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Arthur LEWBEL, 1993. "Stochastic Hicksian Aggregation with an Application to Grouping Goods without Separable Utility," Annales d'Economie et de Statistique, ENSAE, issue 29, pages 17-42.
- Browning, Martin & Meghir, Costas, 1991. "The Effects of Male and Female Labor Supply on Commodity Demands," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 59(4), pages 925-51, July.
- Lewbel, Arthur, 1989. "Identification and Estimation of Equivalence Scales under Weak Separability," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 56(2), pages 311-16, April.
- Lahatte, Agénor & Miquel, Ruth & Laisney, François & Preston, Ian, 1997.
"Demand Systems with Unit Values: A Comparsion of Two Specifications,"
ZEW Discussion Papers
97-24, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Lahatte, Agenor & Miquel, Ruth & Laisney, Francois & Preston, Ian, 1998. "Demand systems with unit values:: A comparison of two specifications," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 58(3), pages 281-290, March.
- Browning, M. & Chiappori, P.A., 1994.
"Efficient Intra-Household allocations: A General Characterization and Empirical Tests,"
DELTA Working Papers
94-16, DELTA (Ecole normale supérieure).
- M. Browning & P. A. Chiappori, 1998. "Efficient Intra-Household Allocations: A General Characterization and Empirical Tests," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 66(6), pages 1241-1278, November.
- Martin Browning & P.A. Chiappori, 1996. "Efficient Intra-Household Allocations - A General Characterization and Empirical Tests," Discussion Papers 96-10, University of Copenhagen. Department of Economics.
- Martin Browning & Pierre-Andre Chiappori, 1994. "Efficient Intra-Household Allocations: a General Characterization and Empirical Tests," Department of Economics Working Papers 1994-02, McMaster University.
- Deaton, Angus, 1990.
"Price elasticities from survey data : Extensions and Indonesian results,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 44(3), pages 281-309, June.
- Deaton, A., 1990. "Price Elasticities From Surveys Data: Extensions And Indonesian Results," Papers 69, World Bank - Living Standards Measurement.
- Deaton, A., 1988. "Price Elasticities From Survey Data: Extensions And Indonesian Results," Papers 138, Princeton, Woodrow Wilson School - Development Studies.
- Deaton, Angus, 1988.
"Quality, Quantity, and Spatial Variation of Price,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 78(3), pages 418-30, June.
- Banks, James & Blundell, Richard & Lewbel, Arthur, 1996.
"Tax Reform and Welfare Measurement: Do We Need Demand System Estimation?,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 106(438), pages 1227-41, September.
- James Banks & Richard Blundell & Arthur Lewbel, 1994. "Tax reform and welfare measurement: do we need demand system estimation?," IFS Working Papers W94/11, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Mohamed Ayadi & Jaya Krishnakumar & Mohamed Salah Matoussi, 2003. "Pooling surveys in the estimation of income and price elasticities: An application to Tunisian households," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 28(1), pages 181-201, January.
- Strauss, John, 1982. "Determinants of food consumption in rural Sierra Leone : Application of the quadratic expenditure system to the consumption-leisure component of a household-firm model," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 11(3), pages 327-353, December.
- James Banks & Richard Blundell & Arthur Lewbel, 1997. "Quadratic Engel Curves And Consumer Demand," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 79(4), pages 527-539, November.
- Kodde, D A & Palm, Franz C & Pfann, G A, 1990. "Asymptotic Least-Squares Estimation Efficiency Considerations and Applications," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 5(3), pages 229-43, July-Sept.
- Pashardes, Panos, 1993. "Bias in Estimating the Almost Ideal Demand System with the Stone Index Approximation," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 103(419), pages 908-15, July.
- Deaton, A. & Grimard, F., 1991. "Demand Analysis For Tax Reform In Pakistan," Papers 151, Princeton, Woodrow Wilson School - Development Studies.
- Case, Anne C, 1991. "Spatial Patterns in Household Demand," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 59(4), pages 953-65, July.
- Newey, Whitney K., 1984. "A method of moments interpretation of sequential estimators," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 14(2-3), pages 201-206.
- Lewbel, Arthur, 1996. "Aggregation without Separability: A Generalized Composite Commodity Theorem," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 86(3), pages 524-43, June.
- L. Wade, 1988. "Review," Public Choice, Springer, vol. 58(1), pages 99-100, July.
- Nichele, Veronique & Robin, Jean-Marc, 1995. "Simulation of indirect tax reforms using pooled micro and macro French data," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 56(2), pages 225-244, February.
- Pitt, Mark M, 1983. "Food Preferences and Nutrition in Rural Bangladesh," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 65(1), pages 105-14, February.
- Deaton, Angus, 1987. "Estimation of own- and cross-price elasticities from household survey data," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 36(1-2), pages 7-30.
- repec:hal:journl:hal-00359428 is not listed on IDEAS
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ifs:ifsewp:02/17. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Stephanie Seavers)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.