Simulation of indirect tax reforms using pooled micro and macro French data
This paper assesses the consequences of two reforms of the French indirect taxation system: a VAT harmonization which is close to initial EC proposals and a carbon tax which aims at decreasing the emissions of carbon dioxide. We simulate the effects of tax reforms using estimates of a model of household expenditure behaviour. Estimation is obtained by using the property of perfect aggregation over households of the Almost Ideal demand system on pooled micro data from the 1978–1979, 1984–1985, 1989 issues of the French ‘Enquête Budgets des Familles' combined with macro data from the Quarterly National Accounts from 1970 to 1990. Simulations are conducted using a subsample of households from the 1989 consumer survey and generate useful results about the behavioural reactions to tax changes, the impact on government revenue and the distributional effects of the reforms.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Laurence Bloch & Françoise Maurel, 1989. "Harmonisation des taux de TVA : scénarios macroéconomiques," Économie et Statistique, Programme National Persée, vol. 217(1), pages 131-143.
- Symons, Elizabeth & Walker, Ian, 1989.
"The Revenue and Welfare Effects of Fiscal Harmonization for the UK,"
Oxford Review of Economic Policy,
Oxford University Press, vol. 5(2), pages 61-75, Summer.
- Symons, E. & Walker, I., 1988. "The Revenue And Welfare Effects Of Fiscal Harmonization For The Uk," The Warwick Economics Research Paper Series (TWERPS) 303, University of Warwick, Department of Economics.
- Muellbauer, John, 1976. "Community Preferences and the Representative Consumer," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 44(5), pages 979-999, September.
- King, Mervyn A., 1983. "Welfare analysis of tax reforms using household data," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 21(2), pages 183-214, July.
- Jorgenson, Dale W & Lau, Lawrence J & Stoker, Thomas M, 1980. "Welfare Comparison under Exact Aggregation," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 70(2), pages 268-272, May.
- repec:adr:anecst:y:1986:i:2:p:02 is not listed on IDEAS
- Michel Lazare & Didier Maillard & Thierry Pujol, 1989. "Les propositions communautaires d'harmonisation de la TVA," Économie et Statistique, Programme National Persée, vol. 217(1), pages 117-125.
- John Muellbauer, 1975. "Aggregation, Income Distribution and Consumer Demand," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 42(4), pages 525-543.
- Deaton, Angus S & Muellbauer, John, 1980. "An Almost Ideal Demand System," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 70(3), pages 312-326, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:pubeco:v:56:y:1995:i:2:p:225-244. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.