The 'Soda Tax' is Unlikely to Make Mexicans Lighter: New Evidence on Biases in Elasticities of Demand for Soda
Download full text from publisher
Other versions of this item:
- Mabel Andalon & John Gibson, 2017. "The 'Soda Tax' is Unlikely to Make Mexicans Lighter: New Evidence on Biases in Elasticities of Demand for Soda," Working Papers in Economics 17/07, University of Waikato.
References listed on IDEAS
- Deaton, Angus, 1987. "Estimation of own- and cross-price elasticities from household survey data," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 36(1-2), pages 7-30.
- Deaton, Angus, 1988. "Quality, Quantity, and Spatial Variation of Price," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 78(3), pages 418-430, June.
- Maria Eugenia Bonilla-Chacin & Roberto Magno Iglesias & Agustina Sara Suaya & Claudia Trezza & Claudia Macias, 2016. "Learning from the Mexican Experience with Taxes on Sugar-Sweetened Beverages and Energy-dense Foods of Low Nutritional Value: Poverty and Social Impact Analysis," Health, Nutrition and Population (HNP) Discussion Paper Series 106595, The World Bank.
- Deaton, Angus, 1990.
"Price elasticities from survey data : Extensions and Indonesian results,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 44(3), pages 281-309, June.
- Deaton, A., 1988. "Price Elasticities From Survey Data: Extensions And Indonesian Results," Papers 138, Princeton, Woodrow Wilson School - Development Studies.
- Deaton, A., 1990. "Price Elasticities From Surveys Data: Extensions And Indonesian Results," Papers 69, World Bank - Living Standards Measurement.
- Emily Yucai Wang, 2015. "The impact of soda taxes on consumer welfare: implications of storability and taste heterogeneity," RAND Journal of Economics, RAND Corporation, vol. 46(2), pages 409-441, June.
- Gibson, John & Kim, Bonggeun, 2013.
"Quality, Quantity, and Nutritional Impacts of Rice Price Changes in Vietnam,"
Elsevier, vol. 43(C), pages 329-340.
- John Gibson & Bonggeun Kim, 2011. "Quality, Quantity and Nutritional Impact of Rice Price Changes in Vietnam," Working Papers in Economics 11/16, University of Waikato.
- McKelvey, Christopher, 2011. "Price, unit value, and quality demanded," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 95(2), pages 157-169, July.
- John Gibson & Scott Rozelle, 2005. "Prices and Unit Values in Poverty Measurement and Tax Reform Analysis," World Bank Economic Review, World Bank Group, vol. 19(1), pages 69-97.
- Shumway, C. Richard & Davis, George C., 2001.
"Does consistent aggregation really matter?,"
Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics,
Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 45(2), June.
- Shumway, C. Richard & Davis, George C., 2000. "Does Consistent Aggregation Really Matter?," Ag Econ Series 12966, Washington State University, School of Economic Sciences.
- Shumway, C. Richard & Davis, George C., 2000. "Does Consistent Aggregation Really Matter?," 2000 Conference (44th), January 23-25, 2000, Sydney, Australia 171924, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society.
- Colchero, M.A. & Salgado, J.C. & Unar-Munguía, M. & Hernández-Ávila, M. & Rivera-Dommarco, J.A., 2015. "Price elasticity of the demand for sugar sweetened beverages and soft drinks in Mexico," Economics & Human Biology, Elsevier, vol. 19(C), pages 129-137.
- Thomas L. Cox & Michael K. Wohlgenant, 1986. "Prices and Quality Effects in Cross-Sectional Demand Analysis," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 68(4), pages 908-919.
- John Gibson & Scott Rozelle, 2011. "The effects of price on household demand for food and calories in poor countries: are our databases giving reliable estimates?," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 43(27), pages 4021-4031.
- John Gibson & Bonggeun Kim, 2016. "Quality, Quantity and Spatial Variation of Price: Back to the Bog," Working Papers in Economics 16/10, University of Waikato.
- Grogger, Jeff, 2016. "Soda Taxes and the Prices of Sodas and Other Drinks: Evidence from Mexico," IZA Discussion Papers 9682, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Deaton, Angus S & Muellbauer, John, 1980. "An Almost Ideal Demand System," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 70(3), pages 312-326, June.
- repec:eee:jfpoli:v:72:y:2017:i:c:p:94-111 is not listed on IDEAS
More about this item
Keywordsdemand; household surveys; quality; price; soda taxes; Mexico;
- D12 - Microeconomics - - Household Behavior - - - Consumer Economics: Empirical Analysis
- I10 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Health - - - General
NEP fieldsThis paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:iza:izadps:dp10765. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mark Fallak). General contact details of provider: http://www.iza.org .