Determinants of the Fallowing Decision in Kosovo
The key question of this paper is why farmers in Kosovo leave land fallow when the total land of their farms is rather small and households are rather large. In order to elicit some barriers to land utilisation in Kosovo, the paper is based on a comprehensive survey carried out in 2005 investigating agricultural households’ perceptions of production and market conditions, and employs several households and farm characteristics to empirically approximate the significance of different factors for leaving land fallow and not using it for production purposes. Three different econometric models are used expected to fit the data distribution. All estimated model specifications show a statistical significance at a satisfactory level and no severe signs of misspecification. The main determinants of the share of land left fallow by farmers in Kosovo are economic: low profitability of farming and difficulty to access inputs. The increase in incentives to farmers by improving market institutions up- and downstream is one measure which could alleviate the barriers to land use. Larger arable areas decrease the probability for fallow land. This emphasizes the need for land consolidation.
|Date of creation:||01 Apr 2009|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.aes.ac.uk/|
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- John Lingard, 2003. "A Comparative Advantage Analysis of Kosovan Agriculture," Post-Communist Economies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 15(3), pages 417-434.
- Laure Latruffe & Sophia Davidova & Elodie Douarin & Matthew Gorton, 2008. "Farm expansion in Lithuania after accession to the EU: The role of CAP payments in alleviating potential credit constraints," Working Papers SMART - LERECO 08-06, INRA UMR SMART-LERECO.
- Hild Rygnestad & Rob Fraser, 1996. "Land Heterogeneity And The Effectiveness Of Cap Set-Aside," Journal of Agricultural Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 47(1-4), pages 255-260.
- Martin Petrick, 2004. "A microeconometric analysis of credit rationing in the Polish farm sector," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 31(1), pages 77-101, March.
- Barry K. Goodwin & Ashok K. Mishra, 2006. "Are “Decoupled” Farm Program Payments Really Decoupled? An Empirical Evaluation," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 88(1), pages 73-89.
- Lerman, Zvi, 2001. "Agriculture in transition economies: from common heritage to divergence," Agricultural Economics, Blackwell, vol. 26(2), pages 95-114, November.
- Philip Kostov & John Lingard, 2004.
"Subsistence Agriculture in Transition Economies: Its Roles and Determinants,"
Journal of Agricultural Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 55(3), pages 565-579.
- Philip Kostov & John Lingard, 2004. "Subsistence Agriculture in Transition Economies: its Roles and Determinants," Others 0410004, EconWPA.
- Ian Coxhead & Bayou Demeke, 2004. "Panel Data Evidence on Upland Agricultural Land Use in the Philippines: Can Economic Policy Reforms Reduce Environmental Damages?," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 86(5), pages 1354-1360.
- Breen, James P. & Hennessy, Thia C. & Thorne, Fiona S., 2005. "The effect of decoupling on the decision to produce: An Irish case study," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 30(2), pages 129-144, April.
- Erik Mathijs & Nivelin Noev, 2004. "Subsistence Farming in Central and Eastern Europe : Empirical Evidence from Albania, Bulgaria, Hungary, and Romania," Eastern European Economics, M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 42(6), pages 72-89, November.
- Erik Mathijs & Nivelin Noev, 2004. "Subsistence Farming in Central and Eastern Europe : Empirical Evidence from Albania, Bulgaria, Hungary, and Romania," Eastern European Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 42(6), pages 72-89, November.
- Guyomard, Herve & Baudry, Marc & Carpentier, Alain, 1996. "Estimating Crop Supply Response in the Presence of Farm Programmes: Application to the CAP," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 23(4), pages 401-420.
- Lerman, Zvi, 2001. "Agriculture in transition economies: from common heritage to divergence," Agricultural Economics of Agricultural Economists, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 26(2), November.
- Hazell, P.B.R. & Poulton, Colin & Wiggins, Steve & Dorward, Andrew, 2007. "The future of small farms for poverty reduction and growth:," 2020 vision discussion papers 42, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Bamwerinde, W. & Bashaasha, Bernard & Ssembajjwe, W. & Place, Frank, 2006. "Determinants of Land Use in the Densely Populated Kigezi Highlands of Southwestern Uganda," 2006 Annual Meeting, August 12-18, 2006, Queensland, Australia 25298, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Papke, Leslie E. & Wooldridge, Jeffrey M., 2008. "Panel data methods for fractional response variables with an application to test pass rates," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 145(1-2), pages 121-133, July.
- Lorenzo Cappellari & Stephen P. Jenkins, 2003. "Multivariate probit regression using simulated maximum likelihood," Stata Journal, StataCorp LP, vol. 3(3), pages 278-294, September.
- Lorenzo Cappellari & Stephen P. Jenkins, 2003. "Multivariate probit regression using simulated maximum likelihood," United Kingdom Stata Users' Group Meetings 2003 10, Stata Users Group.
- Latruffe, Laure & Davidova, Sophia, 2006. "CAP Direct Payments and Distributional Conflicts Over Rented Land within Corporate Farms in the New Member States," 2006 Annual Meeting, August 12-18, 2006, Queensland, Australia 25242, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Latruffe, Laure & Davidova, Sophia & Desjeux, Yann, 2008. "Perpetuation of subsistence farming in Western Balkans: the role of factor market imperfections," 82nd Annual Conference, March 31 - April 2, 2008, Royal Agricultural College, Cirencester, UK 36860, Agricultural Economics Society.
- Papke, Leslie E & Wooldridge, Jeffrey M, 1996. "Econometric Methods for Fractional Response Variables with an Application to 401(K) Plan Participation Rates," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 11(6), pages 619-632, Nov.-Dec..
- Leslie E. Papke & Jeffrey M. Wooldridge, 1993. "Econometric Methods for Fractional Response Variables with an Application to 401(k) Plan Participation Rates," NBER Technical Working Papers 0147, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Lin, Tsai-Fen & Schmidt, Peter, 1984. "A Test of the Tobit Specification against an Alternative Suggested by Cragg," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 66(1), pages 174-177, February. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:aesc09:51072. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.