Perpetuation of subsistence farming in Western Balkans: the role of factor market imperfections
The paper analyses the imperfections in output and factor markets in Kosovo that act as a barrier to farm commercialisation. On the one hand, agricultural households may not have access to output market due to an underdeveloped downstream sector. On the other, local producers might not be preferred to importers as their production level is small with a variable quality due to constraints in factor markets. Data from the Agricultural Household Survey 2005 are used. A conceptual framework is developed on the basis of a household model where non-separability results from a “wedge” between purchase and sale prices due to transaction costs. The share of the output sold in the total value of output is regressed over a set of explanatory variables. A truncated regression is employed due to the high percentage of the dependent variable having the value of zero. Many of the observations do not contain all three factor prices - land rent, wages and interest. For this reason three separate regressions are run, each containing one of the prices. The model including wages is non-separable. Households with more members sell less as they have preferences for household needs. This calls for active rural development and educational policy which can create labour opportunities for agricultural households.
|Date of creation:||30 Mar 2008|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.aes.ac.uk|
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Newey, Whitney K., 1987. "Efficient estimation of limited dependent variable models with endogenous explanatory variables," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 36(3), pages 231-250, November.
- Philip Kostov & John Lingard, 2004.
"Subsistence Agriculture in Transition Economies: its Roles and Determinants,"
- Philip Kostov & John Lingard, 2004. "Subsistence Agriculture in Transition Economies: Its Roles and Determinants," Journal of Agricultural Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 55(3), pages 565-579.
- J. Taylor & Irma Adelman, 2003. "Agricultural Household Models: Genesis, Evolution, and Extensions," Review of Economics of the Household, Springer, vol. 1(1), pages 33-58, January.
- Smith, Richard J & Blundell, Richard W, 1986. "An Exogeneity Test for a Simultaneous Equation Tobit Model with an Application to Labor Supply," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 54(3), pages 679-85, May.
- John Lingard, 2003. "A Comparative Advantage Analysis of Kosovan Agriculture," Post-Communist Economies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 15(3), pages 417-434.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:aes008:36860. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.