Agricultural Productivity and Policies in Sub-Saharan Africa
We analyze the evolution of Sub-Saharan Africa’s agricultural total factor productivity (TFP) over the past 45 years, looking for evidence of recent changes in growth patterns using an improved nonparametric Malmquist index. Our TFP estimates show a remarkable recovery in the performance of Sub-Saharan Africa’s agriculture between 1984 and 2006 after a long period of poor performance and decline. That recovery is the consequence of improved efficiency in production resulting from changes in the output structure and an adjustment in the use of inputs. Policy interventions, including fiscal, trade and sector specific policies, appear to have played an important role in improving agriculture’s performance. Despite the improved agricultural performance, SSA economies face serious challenges to sustain growth. Among these are the small contribution of technical change to TFP growth in the past, the large tax burden imposed by remaining distortions, and the challenge of population growth.
|Date of creation:||01 Jun 2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 555 East Wells Street, Suite 1100, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53202|
Phone: (414) 918-3190
Fax: (414) 276-3349
Web page: http://www.aaea.org
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Anderson, Kym & Masters, William A., 2008. "Distortions to Agricultural Incentives in Sub-Saharan and North Africa," Agricultural Distortions Working Paper 48572, World Bank.
- Keith Head & Thierry Mayer & John Ries, 2011.
"The erosion of colonial trade linkages after independence,"
Sciences Po publications
info:hdl:2441/c8dmi8nm4pd, Sciences Po.
- Head, Keith & Mayer, Thierry & Ries, John, 2010. "The erosion of colonial trade linkages after independence," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 81(1), pages 1-14, May.
- Keith Head & Thierry Mayer & John Ries, 2008. "The erosion of colonial trade linkages after independence," Working Papers hal-01066116, HAL.
- Head, Keith & Mayer, Thierry & Ries, John, 2008. "The Erosion of Colonial Trade Linkages After Independence," CEPR Discussion Papers 6951, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Keith Head & Thierry Mayer & John Ries, 2011. "The erosion of colonial trade linkages after independence," Post-Print hal-01024396, HAL.
- Keith Head & Thierry Mayer & John Ries, 2008. "The erosion of colonial trade linkages after independence," Sciences Po publications 6951, Sciences Po.
- Thierry Mayer & Keith Head & John Ries, 2008. "The Erosion of Colonial Trade Linkages after Independence," Working Papers 2008-27, CEPII research center.
- Nin Pratt, Alejandro & Yu, Bingxin, 2008.
"An updated look at the recovery of agricultural productivity in Sub-Saharan Africa:,"
IFPRI discussion papers
787, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Nin Pratt, Alejandro & Yu, Bingxin, 2009. "An Updated Look at the Recovery of Agricultural Productivity in Sub-Saharan Africa," 2009 Conference, August 16-22, 2009, Beijing, China 51731, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Tim J. Coelli & D.S. Prasada Rao, 2003.
"Total Factor Productivity Growth in Agriculture: A Malmquist Index Analysis of 93 Countries,1980-2000,"
CEPA Working Papers Series
WP022003, School of Economics, University of Queensland, Australia.
- Tim J. Coelli & D. S. Prasada Rao, 2005. "Total factor productivity growth in agriculture: a Malmquist index analysis of 93 countries, 1980-2000," Agricultural Economics, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 32(s1), pages 115-134, 01.
- Kym Anderson & Will Martin, 2009.
"Distortions to Agricultural Incentives in Asia,"
World Bank Publications,
The World Bank, number 2611.
- Timo Kuosmanen & Thierry Post & Timo Sipiläinen, 2004. "Shadow Price Approach to Total Factor Productivity Measurement: With an Application to Finnish Grass-Silage Production," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 22(1), pages 95-121, July.
- Block, Steven A., 1995. "The recovery of agricultural productivity in sub-Saharan Africa," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 20(5), pages 385-405, October.
- Kherallah, Mylène & Delgado, Christopher L. & Gabre-Madhin, Eleni Z. & Minot, Nicholas & Johnson, Michael, 2000.
"The road half traveled,"
2, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Nin Pratt, Alejandro & Yu, Bingxin, 2009.
"Getting Implicit Shadow Prices Right for the Estimation of the Malmquist Index: The Case of Agricultural Total Factor Productivity in Developing Countries,"
2009 Conference, August 16-22, 2009, Beijing, China
51797, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Alejandro Nin-Pratt & Bingxin Yu, 2010. "Getting implicit shadow prices right for the estimation of the Malmquist index: the case of agricultural total factor productivity in developing countries," Agricultural Economics, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 41(3-4), pages 349-360, 05.
- Nin, Alejandro & Arndt, Channing & Preckel, Paul V., 2003. "Is agricultural productivity in developing countries really shrinking? New evidence using a modified nonparametric approach," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 71(2), pages 395-415, August.
- Douglas A. Irwin & Marko Tervio, 2000.
"Does Trade Raise Income? Evidence from the Twentieth Century,"
NBER Working Papers
7745, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Irwin, Douglas A. & Tervio, Marko, 2002. "Does trade raise income?: Evidence from the twentieth century," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 58(1), pages 1-18, October.
- World Bank, 2000. "Can Africa Claim the 21st Century?," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 22962.
- Timo Kuosmanen & Laurens Cherchye & Timo Sipiläinen, 2003.
"The Law of One Price in Data Envelopment Analysis: Restricting Weight Flexibility Across Firms,"
0312006, EconWPA, revised 18 Dec 2003.
- Kuosmanen, Timo & Cherchye, Laurens & Sipilainen, Timo, 2006. "The law of one price in data envelopment analysis: Restricting weight flexibility across firms," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 170(3), pages 735-757, May.
- Steven Block, 2010.
"The Decline and Rise of Agricultural Productivity in Sub-Saharan Africa Since 1961,"
NBER Working Papers
16481, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Steven Block, 2014. "The Decline and Rise of Agricultural Productivity in Sub-Saharan Africa Since 1961," NBER Chapters, in: African Successes: Sustainable Growth, Volume 4 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Yu, Bingxin & Fulginiti, Lilyan E. & Perrin, Richard K., 2002. "Agriculture Productivity In Sub-Saharan Africa," 2002 Annual meeting, July 28-31, Long Beach, CA 19816, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Ferrarini, Benno, 2010. "Trade and Income in Asia: Panel Data Evidence from Instrumental Variable Regression," ADB Economics Working Paper Series 234, Asian Development Bank.
- Arndt, Channing & Tarp, Finn, 1999.
"Stabilization and Structual Adjustment in Mozambique: An Appraisal,"
62443, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Channing Arndt & Henning Tarp Jensen & Finn Tarp, 2000. "Stabilization and structural adjustment in Mozambique: an appraisal," Journal of International Development, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 12(3), pages 299-323.
- Arega D. Alene, 2010. "Productivity growth and the effects of R&D in African agriculture," Agricultural Economics, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 41(3-4), pages 223-238, 05.
- Keith O. Fuglie, 2008. "Is a slowdown in agricultural productivity growth contributing to the rise in commodity prices?," Agricultural Economics, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 39(s1), pages 431-441, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:aaea11:105400. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.