An updated look at the recovery of agricultural productivity in Sub-Saharan Africa:
"We analyze the evolution of Sub-Saharan Africa's agricultural total factor productivity (TFP) over the past 40 years, looking for evidence of recent changes in growth patterns using a nonparametric Malmquist index. Our TFP estimates show a remarkable recovery in the performance of Sub-Saharan Africa's agriculture during the 1984–2003 period after a long period of poor performance and decline. That recovery is the consequence of improved efficiency in production resulting from changes in the output structure and an adjustment in the use of inputs, including an overall net reduction in fertilizer use but increased fertilizer use in most of the best-performing countries. Policy changes African countries conducted between the mid-1980s and the second half of the 1990s together with technological innovations available at that time appear to have played an important role in improving agriculture's performance. As TFP growth in Sub-Saharan Africa is mainly a result of catching up to the frontier, we expect growth to slow in the coming years unless African countries accelerate the incorporation of innovations into the production process and increase the speed of technical change." from authors' abstract
|Date of creation:||2008|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 2033 K Street, NW, Washington, DC 20006|
Web page: http://www.ifpri.org/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Mosley, Paul & Subasat, Turan & Weeks, John, 1995. "Assessing adjustment in Africa," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 23(9), pages 1459-1473, September.
- World Bank, 2000. "Can Africa Claim the 21st Century?," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 22962.
- Tim J. Coelli & D. S. Prasada Rao, 2005.
"Total factor productivity growth in agriculture: a Malmquist index analysis of 93 countries, 1980-2000,"
International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 32(s1), pages 115-134, 01.
- Coelli, Tim J. & Prasada Rao, D. S., 2003. "Total Factor Productivity Growth in Agricultrue: A Malmquist Index Analysis of 93 Countries, 1980-2000," 2003 Annual Meeting, August 16-22, 2003, Durban, South Africa: Plenary Sessions 245928, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Tim J. Coelli & D.S. Prasada Rao, 2003. "Total Factor Productivity Growth in Agriculture: A Malmquist Index Analysis of 93 Countries,1980-2000," CEPA Working Papers Series WP022003, School of Economics, University of Queensland, Australia.
- Kuosmanen, Timo & Cherchye, Laurens & Sipilainen, Timo, 2006.
"The law of one price in data envelopment analysis: Restricting weight flexibility across firms,"
European Journal of Operational Research,
Elsevier, vol. 170(3), pages 735-757, May.
- Timo Kuosmanen & Laurens Cherchye & Timo Sipiläinen, 2003. "The Law of One Price in Data Envelopment Analysis: Restricting Weight Flexibility Across Firms," Microeconomics 0312006, EconWPA, revised 18 Dec 2003.
- Block, Steven A., 1995. "The recovery of agricultural productivity in sub-Saharan Africa," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 20(5), pages 385-405, October.
- Arndt, Channing & Tarp, Finn, 1999. "Stabilization and Structual Adjustment in Mozambique: An Appraisal," MPRA Paper 62443, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Paul Winters & Alain De Janvry & Elisabeth Sadoulet & Kostas Stamoulis, 1998. "The role of agriculture in economic development: Visible and invisible surplus transfers," Journal of Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 34(5), pages 71-97.
- Lilyan E. Fulginiti & Richard K. Perrin, 2005.
"LDC Agriculture: Non-parametric Malmquist productivity indexes,"
Development and Comp Systems
- Fulginiti, Lilyan E. & Perrin, Richard K., 1997. "LDC agriculture: Nonparametric Malmquist productivity indexes," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 53(2), pages 373-390, August.
- Lilyan E. Fulginiti & Richard K. Perrin, 1999.
"Have Price Policies Damaged Ldc Agricultural Productivity?,"
Contemporary Economic Policy,
Western Economic Association International, vol. 17(4), pages 469-475, October.
- Lilyan E. Fulginiti & Richard K. Perrin, 2005. "Have Price Policies Damaged LDC Agricultural Productivity?," Development and Comp Systems 0502020, EconWPA.
- Fulginiti, Lilyan E. & Perrin, Richard K. & Yu, Bingxin, 2003.
"Institutions And Agricultural Productivity In Sub-Sahara Africa,"
2003 Annual Meeting, August 16-22, 2003, Durban, South Africa
25818, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Fulginiti, Lilyan E. & Perrin, Richard K. & Yu, Bingxin, 2004. "Institutions and agricultural productivity in Sub-Saharan Africa," Agricultural Economics, Blackwell, vol. 31(2-3), pages 169-180, December.
- Lilyan E. Fulginiti & Richard K. Perrin & Bingxin Yu, 2005. "Institutions and Agricultural Productivity in Sub-Saharan Africa," Development and Comp Systems 0502021, EconWPA.
- Caves, Douglas W & Christensen, Laurits R & Diewert, W Erwin, 1982. "The Economic Theory of Index Numbers and the Measurement of Input, Output, and Productivity," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(6), pages 1393-1414, November.
- Kherallah, Mylène & Delgado, Christopher L. & Gabre-Madhin, Eleni Z. & Minot, Nicholas. & Johnson, Michael., 2000.
"The road half traveled,"
Food policy reports
10, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Kecuk Suhariyanto & Colin Thirtle, 2001. "Asian Agricultural Productivity and Convergence," Journal of Agricultural Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 52(3), pages 96-110.
- D. S. Prasada Rao & T. J. Coelli, 2004. "Catch-up and Convergence in Global Agricultural Productivity," Indian Economic Review, Department of Economics, Delhi School of Economics, vol. 39(1), pages 123-148, January.
- Nin, Alejandro & Arndt, Channing & Preckel, Paul V., 2003. "Is agricultural productivity in developing countries really shrinking? New evidence using a modified nonparametric approach," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 71(2), pages 395-415, August.
- Jean-Christophe Bureau & Rolf Färe & Shawna Grosskopf, 1995. "A Comparison Of Three Nonparametric Measures Of Productivity Growth In European And United States Agriculture," Journal of Agricultural Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 46(3), pages 309-326.
- Timo Kuosmanen & Thierry Post & Timo Sipiläinen, 2004. "Shadow Price Approach to Total Factor Productivity Measurement: With an Application to Finnish Grass-Silage Production," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 22(1), pages 95-121, July.
- Angela Lusigi & Colin Thirtle, 1997. "Total Factor Productivity And The Effects Of R&D In African Agriculture," Journal of International Development, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 9(4), pages 529-538.
- Channing Arndt & Henning Tarp Jensen & Finn Tarp, 2000. "Stabilization and structural adjustment in Mozambique: an appraisal," Journal of International Development, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 12(3), pages 299-323, 04.
- Christopher F Baum, 2005.
"Stata: The language of choice for time-series analysis?,"
StataCorp LP, vol. 5(1), pages 46-63, March.
- Christopher F. Baum, 2004. "Stata: The language of choice for time series analysis?," Boston College Working Papers in Economics 598, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Oulton,Nicholas & O'Mahony,Mary, 1994. "Productivity and Growth," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521453455, October.
- Smale, Melinda & Jayne, T.S., 2003. "Maize in Eastern and Southern Africa: 'seeds' of success in retrospect," EPTD discussion papers 97, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Boratav, Korkut, 2001. "Movements of Relative Agricultural Prices in Sub-Saharan Africa," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 25(3), pages 395-416, May.
- Ludena, Carlos E. & Hertel, Thomas W. & Preckel, Paul V. & Foster, Kenneth A. & Nin Pratt, Alejandro, 2006.
"Productivity Growth and Convergence in Crop, Ruminant and Non-Ruminant Production: Measurement and Forecasts,"
2006 Annual Meeting, August 12-18, 2006, Queensland, Australia
25392, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Ludena, Carlos & Hertel, Thomas & Preckel, Paul & Foster, Kenneth & Nin Pratt, Alejandro, 2006. "Productivity Growth and Convergence in Crop, Ruminant and Non-Ruminant Production: Measurement and Forecasts," GTAP Working Papers 2220, Center for Global Trade Analysis, Department of Agricultural Economics, Purdue University.
- Fare, Rolf & Shawna Grosskopf & Mary Norris & Zhongyang Zhang, 1994. "Productivity Growth, Technical Progress, and Efficiency Change in Industrialized Countries," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 84(1), pages 66-83, March.
- Varian, Hal R, 1984. "The Nonparametric Approach to Production Analysis," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 52(3), pages 579-597, May.
- Channing Arndt & Thomas W. Hertel & Paul V. Preckel, 2003. "Bridging the Gap between Partial and Total Factor Productivity Measures Using Directional Distance Functions," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 85(4), pages 928-942.
- Gabre-Madhin, Eleni Z. & Haggblade, Steven, 2003. "Successes in African agriculture," MSSD discussion papers 53, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:fpr:ifprid:787. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.