Institutions and Agricultural Productivity in Sub-Saharan Africa
Agricultural productivity in 41 Sub-Saharan Africa (SSA) countries from 1960 to 1999 is examined by estimating a semi-nonparametric Fourier production frontier. Over the four decades the estimated rate of productivity change was 0.83% per year, although the average rate from 1985-99 was a strong 1.90% per year. Former UK colonies exhibited significantly higher productivity gains than others, while Liberia and countries that had been colonies of Portugal or Belgium exhibited net reductions in productivity. We measure a significant reduction in productivity during political conflicts and wars, and a significant increase in productivity among those countries with higher levels of political rights and civil liberties.
|Date of creation:||28 Feb 2005|
|Date of revision:|
|Note:||Type of Document - pdf; pages: 23. Agricultural Economics, December 2004|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://econwpa.repec.org|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Grier, Robin M, 1999. "Colonial Legacies and Economic Growth," Public Choice, Springer, vol. 98(3-4), pages 317-35, March.
- Frisvold, George & Ingram, Kevin, 1995. "Sources of agricultural productivity growth and stagnation in sub-Saharan Africa," Agricultural Economics of Agricultural Economists, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 13(1), October.
- Fulginiti, Lilyan E. & Perrin, Richard K. & Yu, Bingxin, 2003.
"Institutions And Agricultural Productivity In Sub-Sahara Africa,"
2003 Annual Meeting, August 16-22, 2003, Durban, South Africa
25818, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Fulginiti, Lilyan E. & Perrin, Richard K. & Yu, Bingxin, 2004. "Institutions and agricultural productivity in Sub-Saharan Africa," Agricultural Economics, Blackwell, vol. 31(2-3), pages 169-180, December.
- Lilyan E. Fulginiti & Richard K. Perrin & Bingxin Yu, 2005. "Institutions and Agricultural Productivity in Sub-Saharan Africa," Development and Comp Systems 0502021, EconWPA.
- Gallant, A. Ronald, 1981. "On the bias in flexible functional forms and an essentially unbiased form : The fourier flexible form," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 15(2), pages 211-245, February.
- Gallant, A. Ronald, 1982. "Unbiased determination of production technologies," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 20(2), pages 285-323, November.
- Chan-Kang, Connie & Pardey, Philip G. & Wood, Stanley & Roseboom, Johannes & Cremers, Marleen, 1999. "Reassessing Productivity Growth In African Agriculture," 1999 Annual meeting, August 8-11, Nashville, TN 21600, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- World Bank, 2002. "African Development Indicators 2002," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 13922, February.
- Bertocchi, Graziella & Canova, Fabio, 2002.
"Did colonization matter for growth?: An empirical exploration into the historical causes of Africa's underdevelopment,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 46(10), pages 1851-1871, December.
- Bertocchi, Graziella & Canova, Fabio, 1996. "Did Colonization Matter for Growth? An Empirical Exploration into the Historical Causes of Africa's Underdevelopment," CEPR Discussion Papers 1444, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Graziella Bertocchi & Fabio Canova, 1996. "Did colonization matter for growth? An empirical exploration into the historical causes of Africa's underdevelopment," Economics Working Papers 202, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- Battese, G E & Coelli, T J, 1995. "A Model for Technical Inefficiency Effects in a Stochastic Frontier Production Function for Panel Data," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 20(2), pages 325-32.
- Aigner, Dennis & Lovell, C. A. Knox & Schmidt, Peter, 1977. "Formulation and estimation of stochastic frontier production function models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 6(1), pages 21-37, July.
- Mitchell, Karlyn & Onvural, Nur M, 1996. "Economies of Scale and Scope at Large Commercial Banks: Evidence from the Fourier Flexible Functional Form," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 28(2), pages 178-99, May.
- Meeusen, Wim & van den Broeck, Julien, 1977. "Efficiency Estimation from Cobb-Douglas Production Functions with Composed Error," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 18(2), pages 435-44, June.
- Frisvold, George & Ingram, Kevin, 1995. "Sources of agricultural productivity growth and stagnation in sub-Saharan Africa," Agricultural Economics, Blackwell, vol. 13(1), pages 51-61, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wpa:wuwpdc:0502021. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (EconWPA)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.