Have Price Policies Damaged LDC Agricultural Productivity?
This paper examines agricultural policies in 18 developing countries over the period 1961-1985. We measure productivity with both a nonparametric Malmquist index and a production function, confirming previous findings of declining agricultural productivity, but with sufficident inconsistencies as to raise concern about the adequacy of the methods. We nontehless find considerable support for the hypothesis that unfavorable price policies have damaged agricultural performance in these countries.
|Date of creation:||28 Feb 2005|
|Note:||Type of Document - pdf; pages: 7. Contemporary Economic Policy, vol. 17, No 4, Oct. 1999, 469-475|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://econwpa.repec.org|
Other versions of this item:
- Lilyan E. Fulginiti & Richard K. Perrin, 1999. "Have Price Policies Damaged Ldc Agricultural Productivity?," Contemporary Economic Policy, Western Economic Association International, vol. 17(4), pages 469-475, October.
- O4 - Economic Development, Innovation, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Growth and Aggregate Productivity
- Q1 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Agriculture
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- Nin-Prat, Alejandro & Falconi, Cesar & Ludena, Carlos & Martel, Pedro, 2015.
"Productivity and the Performance of Agriculture in Latin America and the Caribbean: From the Lost Decade to the Commodity Boom,"
2015 Conference, August 9-14, 2015, Milan, Italy
211725, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Alejandro Nin Pratt & César Falconi & Carlos E. Ludeña & Pedro Martel, 2015. "Productivity and the Performance of Agriculture in Latin America and the Caribbean: From the Lost Decade to the Commodity Boom," IDB Publications (Working Papers) 7306, Inter-American Development Bank.
- Pascale Phélinas, 2000. "La riziculture thaïlandaise face à la crise," Revue Tiers Monde, Programme National Persée, vol. 41(162), pages 301-322.
- Perrin, Richard K., 1999. "Intellectual property rights and developing country agriculture," Agricultural Economics of Agricultural Economists, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 21(3), December.
- Perrin, Richard K., 1999. "Intellectual property rights and developing country agriculture," Agricultural Economics, Blackwell, vol. 21(3), pages 221-229, December.
- Benjamin N. Dennis & Talan Iscan, 2007. "Agricultural Distortions, Structural Change, and Economic Growth: A Cross-Country Analysis," Department of Economics at Dalhousie University working papers archive distort35, Dalhousie, Department of Economics.
- Nin Pratt, Alejandro & Yu, Bingxin, 2008. "An updated look at the recovery of agricultural productivity in Sub-Saharan Africa:," IFPRI discussion papers 787, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Nin Pratt, Alejandro & Yu, Bingxin, 2009. "An Updated Look at the Recovery of Agricultural Productivity in Sub-Saharan Africa," 2009 Conference, August 16-22, 2009, Beijing, China 51731, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Olper, Alessandro & Raimondi, Valentina & Bertoni, Danilo & Cavicchioli, Daniele, 2013. "Patterns and Determinants of Off-Farm Migration: Transfer frictions and persistency of relative income gaps," Working Papers 144006, Factor Markets, Centre for European Policy Studies.
- Olper, Alessandro & Raimondi, Valentina & Bertoni, Danilo & Cavicchioli, Daniele, 2013. "Patterns and Determinants of Off-Farm Migration: Transfer frictions and persistency of relative income gaps," Factor Markets Working Papers 146, Centre for European Policy Studies.
- Zúniga-González, Carlos Alberto, 2011. "Total Factor Productivity Growth in Agriculture: A Malmquist Index Analysis of 14 Countries, 1979-2008," Conference Papers 114036, National Autonomous University of Nicaragua, LeÃ³n (Unan-LeÃ³n), Researching Center for Applied Economics (RCAE).
- Nin, Alejandro & Arndt, Channing & Preckel, Paul V., 2003. "Is agricultural productivity in developing countries really shrinking? New evidence using a modified nonparametric approach," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 71(2), pages 395-415, August.
- Tim J. Coelli & D. S. Prasada Rao, 2005. "Total factor productivity growth in agriculture: a Malmquist index analysis of 93 countries, 1980-2000," Agricultural Economics, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 32(s1), pages 115-134, 01.
- Coelli, Tim J. & Prasada Rao, D. S., 2003. "Total Factor Productivity Growth in Agricultrue: A Malmquist Index Analysis of 93 Countries, 1980-2000," 2003 Annual Meeting, August 16-22, 2003, Durban, South Africa: Plenary Sessions 245928, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Tim J. Coelli & D.S. Prasada Rao, 2003. "Total Factor Productivity Growth in Agriculture: A Malmquist Index Analysis of 93 Countries,1980-2000," CEPA Working Papers Series WP022003, School of Economics, University of Queensland, Australia.
- Mounir Belloumi & Mohamed Salah Matoussi, 2008. "Measuring Agricultural Productivity Growth in MENA Countries," Working Papers 416, Economic Research Forum, revised 06 Jan 2008.
- Alene, Arega D., 2009. "Productivity growth and the effects of R&D in African agriculture," 2009 Conference, August 16-22, 2009, Beijing, China 51436, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Julien Berthoumieu, 2015. "Policy Instruments, Patents and International Technology Diffusion in a North-South Duopoly," Working Papers hal-01155111, HAL.
- Tayebi, Zahra & Fulginiti, Lilyan E., 2016. "Agricultural Productivity and Climate Change in the Greater Middle East," 2016 Annual Meeting, February 6-9, 2016, San Antonio, Texas 230019, Southern Agricultural Economics Association.
- Zuniga Gonzalez, Carlos Alberto, 2012. "Total factor productivity and Bio Economy effects," MPRA Paper 49355, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 13 Nov 2012.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wpa:wuwpdc:0502020. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (EconWPA)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
Follow series, journals, authors & more
New papers by email
Subscribe to new additions to RePEc
Public profiles for Economics researchers
Various rankings of research in Economics & related fields
Who was a student of whom, using RePEc
Curated articles & papers on various economics topics
Upload your paper to be listed on RePEc and IDEAS
Blog aggregator for economics research
Cases of plagiarism in Economics
Job Market Papers
RePEc working paper series dedicated to the job market
Pretend you are at the helm of an economics department
Services from the StL Fed
Data, research, apps & more from the St. Louis Fed