Technological Catch-up and Scale Effect in OECD Countries: A Bipolarized Growth Convergence
One of the main objectives of the growth-accounting is to study the countries' convergence. In this paper, we proposed a new approach, based on Stochastic Production Frontiers (SPF), to appraise the catch-up of OECD countries. The main advantage of our method is to decompose efficiency scores of each country into two components: scale efficiency and pure technical efficiency. By taking country heterogeneity into account, we find in our panel data estimation a technological catch-up in efficiency scores. This latter effect weakly offset the decreasing returns of the factors. Finally, policy implications are derived from our results.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- N. Gregory Mankiw & David Romer & David N. Weil, 1992.
"A Contribution to the Empirics of Economic Growth,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
Oxford University Press, vol. 107(2), pages 407-437.
- Los, Bart & Timmer, Marcel P., 2003.
"The 'appropriate technology' explanation of productivity growth differentials: an empirical approach,"
GGDC Research Memorandum
200361, Groningen Growth and Development Centre, University of Groningen.
- Los, Bart & Timmer, Marcel P., 2005. "The 'appropriate technology' explanation of productivity growth differentials: An empirical approach," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 77(2), pages 517-531, August.
- Los, Bart & Timmer, Marcel P., 2001. "The 'appropriate technology' explanation of productivity growth differentials: an empirical approach," CCSO Working Papers 200112, University of Groningen, CCSO Centre for Economic Research.
- Ivan Kitov, 2007.
"Real GDP Per Capita in Developed Countries,"
- Ivan O. KITOV & Oleg I. KITOV & Svetlana A. DOLINSKAYA, 2009.
"Modelling Real Gdp Per Capita In The Usa:Cointegration Tests,"
Journal of Applied Economic Sciences,
Spiru Haret University, Faculty of Financial Management and Accounting Craiova, vol. 4(1(7)_ Spr).
- Ivan O. Kitov & Oleg I. Kitov & Svetlana A. Dolinskaya, 2008. "Modelling real GDP per capita in the USA: cointegration test," Papers 0811.0490, arXiv.org.
- Kitov, Ivan & Kitov, Oleg & Dolinskaya, Svetlana, 2007. "Modelling real GDP per capita in the USA: cointegration test," MPRA Paper 2739, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Ivan Kitov & Oleg Kitov & Svetlana Dolinskaya, 2007. "Modeling Real GDP Per Capita in the USA: Cointegration Test," Mechonomics mechanomics1, Socionet.
- Quah, Danny T, 1997. "Empirics for Growth and Distribution: Stratification, Polarization, and Convergence Clubs," Journal of Economic Growth, Springer, vol. 2(1), pages 27-59, March.
- George Psacharopoulos, 1985. "Returns to Education: A Further International Update and Implications," Journal of Human Resources, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 20(4), pages 583-604.
- Emanuele Baldacci & Larry Cui & Benedict J. Clements & Sanjeev Gupta, 2004. "Social Spending, Human Capital, and Growth in Developing Countries; Implications for Achieving the MDGs," IMF Working Papers 04/217, International Monetary Fund.
- Guironnet, J.-P. & Peypoch, N., 2007. "Human capital allocation and overeducation: A measure of French productivity (1987, 1999)," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 24(3), pages 398-410, May.
- Abramovitz, Moses, 1986. "Catching Up, Forging Ahead, and Falling Behind," The Journal of Economic History, Cambridge University Press, vol. 46(02), pages 385-406, June.
- Stéphane Blancard & Jean-Philippe Boussemart, 2006.
"Productivité agricole et rattrapage technologique : le cas des exploitations de grandes cultures du Nord-Pas-de-Calais,"
Cahiers d'Economie et Sociologie Rurales,
INRA Department of Economics, vol. 80, pages 5-28.
- Blancard, Stéphane & Boussemart, Jean-Philippe, 2006. "Productivité agricole et rattrapage technologique : le cas des exploitations de grandes cultures du Nord-Pas-de-Calais," Cahiers d'Economie et de Sociologie Rurales (CESR), INRA (French National Institute for Agricultural Research), vol. 80.
- Robert J. Barro, 1996.
"Determinants of Economic Growth: A Cross-Country Empirical Study,"
NBER Working Papers
5698, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Robert J. Barro, 1998. "Determinants of Economic Growth: A Cross-Country Empirical Study," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262522543, March.
- Kumbhakar, Subal C. & Wang, Hung-Jen, 2005. "Estimation of growth convergence using a stochastic production frontier approach," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 88(3), pages 300-305, September.
- Fried, Harold O. & Lovell, C. A. Knox & Schmidt, Shelton S. (ed.), 2008. "The Measurement of Productive Efficiency and Productivity Growth," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780195183528, May.
- Jondrow, James & Knox Lovell, C. A. & Materov, Ivan S. & Schmidt, Peter, 1982. "On the estimation of technical inefficiency in the stochastic frontier production function model," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 19(2-3), pages 233-238, August.
- Daniel J. Henderson & R. Robert Russell, 2005. "Human Capital And Convergence: A Production-Frontier Approach ," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 46(4), pages 1167-1205, November.
- Chambers Robert G. & Fare Rolf, 1994. "Hicks' Neutrality and Trade Biased Growth: A Taxonomy," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 64(2), pages 554-567, December.
- Quah, Danny, 1997. "Empirics for Growth and Distribution: Stratification, Polarization, and Convergence Clubs," CEPR Discussion Papers 1586, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Subodh Kumar & R. Robert Russell, 2002. "Technological Change, Technological Catch-up, and Capital Deepening: Relative Contributions to Growth and Convergence," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 92(3), pages 527-548, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:afc:wpaper:09-05. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.