Technological Catch-up and Scale Effect in OECD Countries: A Bipolarized Growth Convergence
One of the main objectives of the growth-accounting is to study the countries' convergence. In this paper, we proposed a new approach, based on Stochastic Production Frontiers (SPF), to appraise the catch-up of OECD countries. The main advantage of our method is to decompose efficiency scores of each country into two components: scale efficiency and pure technical efficiency. By taking country heterogeneity into account, we find in our panel data estimation a technological catch-up in efficiency scores. This latter effect weakly offset the decreasing returns of the factors. Finally, policy implications are derived from our results.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jondrow, James & Knox Lovell, C. A. & Materov, Ivan S. & Schmidt, Peter, 1982. "On the estimation of technical inefficiency in the stochastic frontier production function model," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 19(2-3), pages 233-238, August.
- Stéphane Blancard & Jean-Philippe Boussemart, 2006.
"Productivité agricole et rattrapage technologique : le cas des exploitations de grandes cultures du Nord-Pas-de-Calais,"
Cahiers d'Economie et Sociologie Rurales,
INRA Department of Economics, vol. 80, pages 5-28.
- Blancard, Stéphane & Boussemart, Jean-Philippe, 2006. "Productivité agricole et rattrapage technologique : le cas des exploitations de grandes cultures du Nord-Pas-de-Calais," Cahiers d'Economie et de Sociologie Rurales (CESR), INRA (French National Institute for Agricultural Research), vol. 80.
- N. Gregory Mankiw & David Romer & David N. Weil, 1990.
"A Contribution to the Empirics of Economic Growth,"
NBER Working Papers
3541, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- George Psacharopoulos, 1985. "Returns to Education: A Further International Update and Implications," Journal of Human Resources, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 20(4), pages 583-604.
- Daniel J. Henderson & R. Robert Russell, 2005. "Human Capital And Convergence: A Production-Frontier Approach ," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 46(4), pages 1167-1205, November.
- Los, Bart & Timmer, Marcel P., 2005.
"The 'appropriate technology' explanation of productivity growth differentials: An empirical approach,"
Journal of Development Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 77(2), pages 517-531, August.
- Los, Bart & Timmer, Marcel P., 2003. "The 'appropriate technology' explanation of productivity growth differentials: an empirical approach," GGDC Research Memorandum 200361, Groningen Growth and Development Centre, University of Groningen.
- Los, Bart & Timmer, Marcel P., 2001. "The 'appropriate technology' explanation of productivity growth differentials: an empirical approach," CCSO Working Papers 200112, University of Groningen, CCSO Centre for Economic Research.
- Subodh Kumar & R. Robert Russell, 2002. "Technological Change, Technological Catch-up, and Capital Deepening: Relative Contributions to Growth and Convergence," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 92(3), pages 527-548, June.
- Ivan O. Kitov & Oleg I. Kitov & Svetlana A. Dolinskaya, 2008.
"Modelling real GDP per capita in the USA: cointegration test,"
- Ivan O. KITOV & Oleg I. KITOV & Svetlana A. DOLINSKAYA, 2009. "Modelling Real Gdp Per Capita In The Usa:Cointegration Tests," Journal of Applied Economic Sciences, Spiru Haret University, Faculty of Financial Management and Accounting Craiova, vol. 4(1(7)_ Spr).
- Kitov, Ivan & Kitov, Oleg & Dolinskaya, Svetlana, 2007. "Modelling real GDP per capita in the USA: cointegration test," MPRA Paper 2739, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Ivan Kitov & Oleg Kitov & Svetlana Dolinskaya, 2007. "Modeling Real GDP Per Capita in the USA: Cointegration Test," Mechonomics mechanomics1, Socionet.
- Guironnet, J.-P. & Peypoch, N., 2007. "Human capital allocation and overeducation: A measure of French productivity (1987, 1999)," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 24(3), pages 398-410, May.
- Quah, Danny, 1997. "Empirics for Growth and Distribution: Stratification, Polarization, and Convergence Clubs," CEPR Discussion Papers 1586, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Quah, Danny T, 1997. "Empirics for Growth and Distribution: Stratification, Polarization, and Convergence Clubs," Journal of Economic Growth, Springer, vol. 2(1), pages 27-59, March.
- Kitov, Ivan, 2006.
"Real GDP per capita in developed countries,"
2738, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Abramovitz, Moses, 1986. "Catching Up, Forging Ahead, and Falling Behind," The Journal of Economic History, Cambridge University Press, vol. 46(02), pages 385-406, June.
- Fried, Harold O. & Lovell, C. A. Knox & Schmidt, Shelton S. (ed.), 2008. "The Measurement of Productive Efficiency and Productivity Growth," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780195183528, June.
- Emanuele Baldacci & Larry Cui & Benedict J. Clements & Sanjeev Gupta, 2004. "Social Spending, Human Capital, and Growth in Developing Countries; Implications for Achieving the MDGs," IMF Working Papers 04/217, International Monetary Fund.
- Robert J. Barro, 1996.
"Determinants of Economic Growth: A Cross-Country Empirical Study,"
NBER Working Papers
5698, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Robert J. Barro, 1998. "Determinants of Economic Growth: A Cross-Country Empirical Study," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262522543.
- Kumbhakar, Subal C. & Wang, Hung-Jen, 2005. "Estimation of growth convergence using a stochastic production frontier approach," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 88(3), pages 300-305, September.
- Chambers Robert G. & Fare Rolf, 1994. "Hicks' Neutrality and Trade Biased Growth: A Taxonomy," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 64(2), pages 554-567, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:afc:wpaper:09-05. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.