Building Knowledge Economies : Advanced Strategies for Development
Knowledge has always been an essential force in economic development. Chapter one, describes the knowledge revolution, which is leading us into a postindustrial age in which brains, not brawn, are the best means of coping with intensified competition and new challenges, including those related to human development and the global environment. In explaining the foundations and the model of knowledge economies, chapter two outlines the four knowledge economies (KE) pillars, provides elements of the benchmarking methodology, and relates KE achievements to recorded growth and competitiveness. To understand the KE process, chapter three starts with the examples of three KE champions, Finland, Ireland, and the Republic of Korea. The ensuing chapters examine and document in detail the four KE policy pillars. Chapter four on the economic and institutional regime discusses governance, regulation, finance, and trade as they bear on the KE development process. Chapter five on innovation addresses the question of support for innovators, the strengthening of research and technology infrastructure, the diffusion of basic technologies, and the promotion of specific industries. Chapter six deals with the national information and communication technology (ICT) infrastructure, addressing related applications, institutions, and regulations, as well as access to that infrastructure and the development of the skills needed to build, maintain, and use it. Chapter seven looks at primary and secondary education, higher education, and lifelong learning from a KE perspective, providing insights on the mobility of human resources and the role of diasporas. Chapter eight discusses policy agendas for selected sets of countries.
|This book is provided by The World Bank in its series World Bank Publications with number 6853 and published in 2007.|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 1818 H Street, N.W., Washington, DC 20433|
Phone: (202) 477-1234
Web page: https://openknowledge.worldbank.org
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Lynn Mytelka, 2000. "Local Systems Of Innovation In A Globalized World Economy," Industry and Innovation, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 7(1), pages 15-32.
- Yevgeny Kuznetsov, 2006. "Diaspora Networks and the International Migration of Skills : How Countries Can Draw on their Talent Abroad," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 7008, June.
- Fujita, Masahisa, 2006. "Economic development capitalizing on brand agriculture : turning development strategy on its head," IDE Discussion Papers 76, Institute of Developing Economies, Japan External Trade Organization(JETRO).
- Verónica Mies & Rodrigo Fuentes, 2005.
"Mirando el Desarrollo Económico de Chile: Una Comparación Internacional,"
Documentos de Trabajo
287, Instituto de Economia. Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile..
- Rodrigo Fuentes & Verónica Mies, 2005. "Mirando el Desarrollo Económico de Chile: Una Comparación Internacional," Working Papers Central Bank of Chile 308, Central Bank of Chile.
- David H. Autor & Frank Levy & Richard J. Murnane, 2003. "The skill content of recent technological change: an empirical exploration," Proceedings, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco, issue Nov.
- David H. Autor & Frank Levy & Richard J. Murnane, 2003. "The Skill Content of Recent Technological Change: An Empirical Exploration," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 118(4), pages 1279-1333.
- David H. Autor & Frank Levy & Richard J. Murnane, 2001. "The Skill Content of Recent Technological Change: An Empirical Exploration," NBER Working Papers 8337, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jeffrey D. Sachs & Andrew M. Warner, 1995. "Natural Resource Abundance and Economic Growth," NBER Working Papers 5398, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Sachs, J-D & Warner, A-M, 1995. "Natural Resource Abundance and Economic Growth," Papers 517a, Harvard - Institute for International Development.
- José-Miguel Benavente & Luiz de Mello & Nanno Mulder, 2005. "Fostering Innovation in Chile," OECD Economics Department Working Papers 454, OECD Publishing.
- Daniel Cohen & Marcelo Soto, 2007. "Growth and human capital: good data, good results," Journal of Economic Growth, Springer, vol. 12(1), pages 51-76, March.
- Cohen, Daniel & Soto, Marcelo, 2001. "Growth and Human Capital: Good Data, Good Results," CEPR Discussion Papers 3025, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Daniel Cohen & Marcelo Soto, 2001. "Growth and Human Capital: Good Data, Good Results," OECD Development Centre Working Papers 179, OECD Publishing.
- Bosch, Mariano & Lederman, Daniel & Maloney, William F., 2005. "Patenting and research and development : a global view," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3739, The World Bank.
- Christine Zhen-Wei Qiang & Alexander Pitt & Seth Ayers, 2004. "Contribution of Information and Communication Technologies to Growth," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 15059, April.
- Robert J. Barro, 1991. "Economic Growth in a Cross Section of Countries," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 106(2), pages 407-443.
- Robert J. Barro, 1989. "Economic Growth in a Cross Section of Countries," NBER Working Papers 3120, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Barro, R.J., 1989. "Economic Growth In A Cross Section Of Countries," RCER Working Papers 201, University of Rochester - Center for Economic Research (RCER).
- Watkins, Alfred, 2003. "From knowledge to wealth : transforming Russian science and technology for a modern knowledge economy," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2974, The World Bank.
- Yevgeny Kuznetsov & Carl J. Dahlman, 2008. "Mexico's Transition to a Knowledge-Based Economy : Challenges and Opportunities," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 6431, April.
- Anil K. Gupta, 2006. "From Sink to Source: The Honey Bee Network Documents Indigenous Knowledge and Innovations in India," Innovations: Technology, Governance, Globalization, MIT Press, vol. 1(3), pages 49-66, July.
- Kikeri, Sunita & Kenyon,Thomas & Palmade, Vincent, 2006. "Reforming the investment climate : lessons for practitioners," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3986, The World Bank.
- Sunita Kikeri & Thomas Kenyon & Vincent Palmade, 2006. "Reforming the Investment Climate : Lessons for Practitioners," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 7096, June.
- Daron Acemoglu & Simon Johnson & James A. Robinson, 2001. "The Colonial Origins of Comparative Development: An Empirical Investigation," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 91(5), pages 1369-1401, December.
- Daron Acemoglu & Simon Johnson & James A. Robinson, 2000. "The Colonial Origins of Comparative Development: An Empirical Investigation," NBER Working Papers 7771, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Shahid Yusuf & Simon J. Evenett, 2002. "Can East Asia Compete : Innovation for Global Markets," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 15226, April.
- Benno J. Ndulu, 2007. "Challenges of African Growth : Opportunities, Constraints, and Strategic Directions," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 6656, April.
- Carl Dahlman & Anuja Utz, 2005. "India and the Knowledge Economy : Leveraging Strengths and Opportunities," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 7356, June.
- Meghana Ayyagari & Asli Demirgüç-Kunt & Vojislav Maksimovic, 2008. "How Important Are Financing Constraints? The Role of Finance in the Business Environment," World Bank Economic Review, World Bank Group, vol. 22(3), pages 483-516, November.
- Ayyagari, Meghana & Demirguc-Kunt, Asli & Maksimovic, Vojislav, 2006. "How important are financing constraints ? The role of finance in the business environment," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3820, The World Bank.
- Watson, Robert & Crawford, Michael & Farley, Sara, 2003. "Strategic approaches to science and technology in development," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3026, The World Bank.
- Shahid Yusuf & Kaoru Nabeshima, 2006. "Postindustrial East Asian Cities : Innovation for Growth," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 7102, June.
- Palmade, Vincent, 2005. "Industry level analysis : the way to identify the binding constraints to economic growth," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3551, The World Bank.
- Adams, James D, 1990. "Fundamental Stocks of Knowledge and Productivity Growth," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 98(4), pages 673-702, August.
- Shahid Yusuf, 2003. "Innovative East Asia : The Future of Growth," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 15158, April.
- L. Alan Winters & Shahid Yusuf, 2007. "Dancing with the Giants: China, India, and the Global Economy," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 6632, April.
- Andrea Tokman, 2004. "Education and Economic Growth in Chile," Working Papers Central Bank of Chile 289, Central Bank of Chile.
- Brian Levy & Sahr Kpundeh, 2004. "Building State Capacity in Africa : New Approaches, Emerging Lessons," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 14878, April.
- Yusuf Shahid & M. Anjum Altaf & Kaoru Nabeshima, 2004. "Global Change and East Asian Policy Initiatives," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 14928, April.
- Richard K. Johanson & Arvil V. Adams, 2004. "Skills Development in Sub-Saharan Africa," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 15028, April. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)