External factors affecting investment decisions of companies
In this paper, we attempt to investigate the importance of certain external factors on the investment decisions made by Polish companies. With the use of data from the tailor-made Survey on Receivables, we (1) examine factors influencing investment decisions of companies in Poland; (2) assess the relation between branch, company size and investment factors; (3) evaluate the importance of the investment factors; and (4) determine the relative influence of these factors on the company-level investment reductions. The results show that first, although the problem of payment delays is the most important single issue determining the investment decisions of Polish companies, its importance decreases when analysed simultaneously with other issues. Second, among the indicators selected for an assessment of investment decisions, two driving forces determine the investment decisions of Polish companies - namely, macroeconomic factors and law-related factors, with the relative importance of the former lower than the latter. Third, there is a positive association between the importance of each of the two factors and the actual investment reductions, implying that among companies facing higher investment reductions, the importance of macroeconomic and law-related factors is higher.
Volume (Year): 8 (2014)
Issue (Month): ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Kiellinie 66, D-24105 Kiel|
Phone: +49 431 8814-1
Fax: +49 431 8814528
Web page: http://www.economics-ejournal.org/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Sandahl, Gert & Sjogren, Stefan, 2003. "Capital budgeting methods among Sweden's largest groups of companies. The state of the art and a comparison with earlier studies," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 84(1), pages 51-69, April.
- Laux, Volker, 2008. "On the value of influence activities for capital budgeting," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 65(3-4), pages 625-635, March.
- Laurikka, Harri & Koljonen, Tiina, 2006. "Emissions trading and investment decisions in the power sector--a case study in Finland," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 34(9), pages 1063-1074, June.
- Victor Zarnowitz, 1992. "Rational Expectations and Macroeconomic Forecasts," NBER Chapters,in: Business Cycles: Theory, History, Indicators, and Forecasting, pages 462-491 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Hogan, Chris E. & Lewis, Craig M., 2005. "Long-Run Investment Decisions, Operating Performance, and Shareholder Value Creation of Firms Adopting Compensation Plans Based on Economic Profits," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 40(04), pages 721-745, December.
- Trappey, Charles V. & Shih, Tsui-Yii & Trappey, Amy J.C., 2007. "Modeling international investment decisions for financial holding companies," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 180(2), pages 800-814, July.
- Michael Overesch & Georg Wamser, 2010. "The effects of company taxation in EU accession countries on German FDI," The Economics of Transition, The European Bank for Reconstruction and Development, vol. 18(3), pages 429-457, 07.
- Masini, Andrea & Menichetti, Emanuela, 2013. "Investment decisions in the renewable energy sector: An analysis of non-financial drivers," Technological Forecasting and Social Change, Elsevier, vol. 80(3), pages 510-524.
- Masini, Andrea & Menichetti , Emanuela, 2013. "Investment Decisions in the Renewable Energy Sector: An Analysis of Non-Financial Drivers," Les Cahiers de Recherche 976, HEC Paris.
- Volker H. Hoffmann & Thomas Trautmann & Jens Hamprecht, 2009. "Regulatory Uncertainty: A Reason to Postpone Investments? Not Necessarily," Journal of Management Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 46(7), pages 1227-1253, November.
- Santoro, Marika & Wei, Chao, 2012. "A Note On The Impact Of Progressive Dividend Taxation On Investment Decisions," Macroeconomic Dynamics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 16(02), pages 309-319, April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:zbw:ifweej:201411. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ZBW - German National Library of Economics)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.