Review of renewable energy investment and financing in China: Status, mode, issues and countermeasures
With the support of national policies, China's renewable energy generation industry has experienced a rapid development period and entered the world forefront level, especially in the aspects of installed capacity and speed of newly installed capacity. However, with the rapid development of renewable energy, the power generation industry is facing more and more challenges, particularly in investment and financing. As for wind power industry, there are also some problems such as single financing channels, blindness of projects investment and so on, which will result in financing difficulties for some advanced projects. In addition, the problems for the investment of photovoltaic (PV) power generation leads to vicious competition and a tumble in international market, thus the overcapacity of China's entire PV industry emerges. Generally speaking, the renewable energy industry is facing a seemingly contradictory predicament of funding deficiencies and blind investment, which is derived from the government-centered renewable energy investment and financing. This government-centered mode has promoted the development of renewable energy industry in the early stage, but it cannot be adapted to the requirements of sustainable development. In view of these, the problems of renewable energy investment and financing are deeply studied in this paper.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 31 (2014)
Issue (Month): C ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/600126/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/600126/bibliographic|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ming, Zeng & Ximei, Liu & Na, Li & Song, Xue, 2013. "Overall review of renewable energy tariff policy in China: Evolution, implementation, problems and countermeasures," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 25(C), pages 260-271.
- Patlitzianas, Konstantinos D. & Christos, Kolybiris, 2011. "Sustainable energy investments in Hellenic urban areas: Examining modern financial mechanisms," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 15(9), pages 5186-5193.
- Ming, Zeng & Song, Xue & Mingjuan, Ma & Xiaoli, Zhu, 2013. "New energy bases and sustainable development in China: A review," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 20(C), pages 169-185.
- Boomsma, Trine Krogh & Meade, Nigel & Fleten, Stein-Erik, 2012. "Renewable energy investments under different support schemes: A real options approach," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 220(1), pages 225-237.
- Kumbaroglu, Gürkan & Madlener, Reinhard & Demirel, Mustafa, 2008.
"A real options evaluation model for the diffusion prospects of new renewable power generation technologies,"
Elsevier, vol. 30(4), pages 1882-1908, July.
- Gürkan Kumbaroglu & Reinhard Madlener & Mustafa Demirel, 2004. "A Real Options Evaluation Model for the Diffusion Prospects of New Renewable Power Generation Technologies," CEPE Working paper series 04-35, CEPE Center for Energy Policy and Economics, ETH Zurich.
- Laurikka, Harri & Koljonen, Tiina, 2006. "Emissions trading and investment decisions in the power sector--a case study in Finland," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 34(9), pages 1063-1074, June.
- Fleten, S.-E. & Maribu, K.M. & Wangensteen, I., 2007.
"Optimal investment strategies in decentralized renewable power generation under uncertainty,"
Elsevier, vol. 32(5), pages 803-815.
- Fleten, Stein-Erik & Maribu, Karl Magnus & Wangensteen, Ivar, 2005. "Optimal investment strategies in decentralized renewable power generation under uncertainty," MPRA Paper 218, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised Jun 2006.
- Wang, Qiang, 2010. "Effective policies for renewable energy--the example of China's wind power--lessons for China's photovoltaic power," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 14(2), pages 702-712, February.
- Zeng, Ming & Li, Chen & Zhou, Lisha, 2013. "Progress and prospective on the police system of renewable energy in China," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 20(C), pages 36-44.
- Barradale, Merrill Jones, 2010. "Impact of public policy uncertainty on renewable energy investment: Wind power and the production tax credit," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 38(12), pages 7698-7709, December.
- Lee, Shun-Chung & Shih, Li-Hsing, 2010. "Renewable energy policy evaluation using real option model -- The case of Taiwan," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 32(Supplemen), pages S67-S78, September.
- Zhao, Zhen-yu & Yan, Hong, 2012. "Assessment of the biomass power generation industry in China," Renewable Energy, Elsevier, vol. 37(1), pages 53-60.
- Wüstenhagen, Rolf & Menichetti, Emanuela, 2012. "Strategic choices for renewable energy investment: Conceptual framework and opportunities for further research," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 40(C), pages 1-10.
- Nishihara, Michi & Shibata, Takashi, 2013.
"The effects of external financing costs on investment timing and sizing decisions,"
Journal of Banking & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 37(4), pages 1160-1175.
- Michi NISHIHARA & Takashi SHIBATA, 2012. "The effects of external financing costs on investment timing and sizing decisions," Discussion Papers in Economics and Business 12-07, Osaka University, Graduate School of Economics and Osaka School of International Public Policy (OSIPP).
- Masini, Andrea & Menichetti, Emanuela, 2012. "The impact of behavioural factors in the renewable energy investment decision making process: Conceptual framework and empirical findings," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 40(C), pages 28-38.
- Muñoz, José Ignacio & Sánchez de la Nieta, Agustín A. & Contreras, Javier & Bernal-Agustín, José L., 2009. "Optimal investment portfolio in renewable energy: The Spanish case," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 37(12), pages 5273-5284, December.
- Ming, Zeng & Kun, Zhang & Daoxin, Liu, 2013. "Overall review of pumped-hydro energy storage in China: Status quo, operation mechanism and policy barriers," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 17(C), pages 35-43.
- Liao, Ching-Hui & Ou, Hsin-Hung & Lo, Shang-Lien & Chiueh, Pei-Te & Yu, Yue-Hwa, 2011. "A challenging approach for renewable energy market development," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 15(1), pages 787-793, January.
- Masini, Andrea & Menichetti , Emanuela, 2013. "Investment Decisions in the Renewable Energy Sector: An Analysis of Non-Financial Drivers," Les Cahiers de Recherche 976, HEC Paris.
- Zavodov, Kirill, 2012. "Renewable energy investment and the clean development mechanism," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 40(C), pages 81-89.
- Tang, Amy & Chiara, Nicola & Taylor, John E., 2012. "Financing renewable energy infrastructure: Formulation, pricing and impact of a carbon revenue bond," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 45(C), pages 691-703.
- Bhattacharyya, Subhes C., 2013. "Financing energy access and off-grid electrification: A review of status, options and challenges," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 20(C), pages 462-472.
- Ming, Zeng & Kun, Zhang & Jun, Dong, 2013. "Overall review of China's wind power industry: Status quo, existing problems and perspective for future development," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 24(C), pages 379-386.
- Liming, Huang, 2009. "Financing rural renewable energy: A comparison between China and India," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 13(5), pages 1096-1103, June.
- Thiam, Djiby Racine, 2011. "An energy pricing scheme for the diffusion of decentralized renewable technology investment in developing countries," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 39(7), pages 4284-4297, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:rensus:v:31:y:2014:i:c:p:23-37. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.