Economic evaluation of shelf-space management in grocery stores
Recently, many commodity groups have shifted promotion expenditures from generic advertising to non-advertising activities such as in-store promotion programs. Accordingly, corresponding evaluation methods need to be developed to identify the benefits of these non-advertising programs. We develop a general framework to assess product sales performance of in-store shelf-space management programs in retail stores. The framework was applied to the evaluation of dairy case management programs in the Northwestern Hudson Valley market, New York. Simulation results on fluid milk product sales indicate that preferred product locations vary between smaller convenience stores and larger supermarket retailers. On average, the dairy case management program was estimated to improve product sales 6 to 10% at the retailer level. [Econlit subject codes: M300, Q130] © 2007 Wiley Periodicals, Inc. Agribusiness 23: 583-597, 2007.
Volume (Year): 23 (2007)
Issue (Month): 4 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/journal/10.1002/(ISSN)1520-6297|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Schmit, Todd M. & Kaiser, Harry M. & Chung, Chanjin, 2004. "The Dairy Case Management Program: Does It Mooove More Milk? A Case Study of the Northwestern Hudson Valley Market," Research Bulletins 122093, Cornell University, Department of Applied Economics and Management.
- Hoyer, Wayne D, 1984. " An Examination of Consumer Decision Making for a Common Repeat Purchase Product," Journal of Consumer Research, Oxford University Press, vol. 11(3), pages 822-29, December.
- H. Tien, 1974. "Reply," Demography, Springer;Population Association of America (PAA), vol. 11(4), pages 708-714, November.
- Schmit, Todd M. & Chung, Chanjin & Kaiser, Harry M., 2006.
"The Dairy Case Management Program: Does It Mooove More Milk?,"
Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 21(2).
- Schmit, Todd M. & Kaiser, Harry M., 2004. "The Dairy Case Management Program: Does It Mooove More Milk?," 2004 Annual meeting, August 1-4, Denver, CO 20317, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- repec:dau:papers:123456789/1757 is not listed on IDEAS
- Pierre Desmet & Valérie Renaudin, 1998. "Estimation of Product Category Sales Responsiveness to Allocated Shelf Space," Post-Print halshs-00143451, HAL.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wly:agribz:v:23:y:2007:i:4:p:583-597. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.