Retail category management: State-of-the-art review of quantitative research and software applications in assortment and shelf space management
Download full text from publisher
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
- Khouja, Moutaz, 1999. "The single-period (news-vendor) problem: literature review and suggestions for future research," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 27(5), pages 537-553, October.
- Karel H. van Donselaar & Vishal Gaur & Tom van Woensel & Rob A. C. M. Broekmeulen & Jan C. Fransoo, 2010. "Ordering Behavior in Retail Stores and Implications for Automated Replenishment," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 56(5), pages 766-784, May.
- Hwang, Hark & Hahn, Kyu Hun, 2000. "An optimal procurement policy for items with an inventory level-dependent demand rate and fixed lifetime," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 127(3), pages 537-545, December.
- Hansen, Jared M. & Raut, Sumit & Swami, Sanjeev, 2010. "Retail Shelf Allocation: A Comparative Analysis of Heuristic and Meta-Heuristic Approaches," Journal of Retailing, Elsevier, vol. 86(1), pages 94-105.
- Fitzsimons, Gavan J, 2000. " Consumer Response to Stockouts," Journal of Consumer Research, Oxford University Press, vol. 27(2), pages 249-266, September.
- Yang, Ming-Hsien & Chen, Wen-Cher, 1999. "A study on shelf space allocation and management," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 60(1), pages 309-317, April.
- Hoyer, Wayne D, 1984. " An Examination of Consumer Decision Making for a Common Repeat Purchase Product," Journal of Consumer Research, Oxford University Press, vol. 11(3), pages 822-829, December.
- Abbott, Harish & Palekar, Udatta S., 2008. "Retail replenishment models with display-space elastic demand," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 186(2), pages 586-607, April.
- Sanjeev Swami & Jehoshua Eliashberg & Charles B. Weinberg, 1999. "SilverScreener: A Modeling Approach to Movie Screens Management," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 18(3), pages 352-372.
- Vishal Gaur & Dorothée Honhon, 2006. "Assortment Planning and Inventory Decisions Under a Locational Choice Model," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 52(10), pages 1528-1543, October.
- Hariga, Moncer A. & Al-Ahmari, Abdulrahman & Mohamed, Abdel-Rahman A., 2007. "A joint optimisation model for inventory replenishment, product assortment, shelf space and display area allocation decisions," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 181(1), pages 239-251, August.
- Pentico, David W., 2008. "The assortment problem: A survey," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 190(2), pages 295-309, October.
- Mantrala, Murali K. & Levy, Michael & Kahn, Barbara E. & Fox, Edward J. & Gaidarev, Peter & Dankworth, Bill & Shah, Denish, 2009. "Why is Assortment Planning so Difficult for Retailers? A Framework and Research Agenda," Journal of Retailing, Elsevier, vol. 85(1), pages 71-83.
- repec:dau:papers:123456789/1757 is not listed on IDEAS
- Yang, Ming-Hsien, 2001. "An efficient algorithm to allocate shelf space," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 131(1), pages 107-118, May.
- Hansen, Pierre & Heinsbroek, Hans, 1979. "Product selection and space allocation in supermarkets," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 3(6), pages 474-484, November.
- Garrett van Ryzin & Siddharth Mahajan, 1999. "On the Relationship Between Inventory Costs and Variety Benefits in Retail Assortments," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 45(11), pages 1496-1509, November.
- Ketzenberg, Michael & Metters, Richard & Vargas, Vicente, 2002. "Quantifying the benefits of breaking bulk in retail operations," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 80(3), pages 249-263, December.
- Yücel, Eda & Karaesmen, Fikri & Salman, F. Sibel & Türkay, Metin, 2009. "Optimizing product assortment under customer-driven demand substitution," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 199(3), pages 759-768, December.
- Sloot, Laurens M. & Verhoef, Peter C., 2008. "The Impact of Brand Delisting on Store Switching and Brand Switching Intentions," Journal of Retailing, Elsevier, vol. 84(3), pages 281-296.
- Hwang, Hark & Choi, Bum & Lee, Min-Jin, 2005. "A model for shelf space allocation and inventory control considering location and inventory level effects on demand," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 97(2), pages 185-195, August.
- Ge, Xin & Messinger, Paul R. & Li, Jin, 2009. "Influence of Soldout Products on Consumer Choice," Journal of Retailing, Elsevier, vol. 85(3), pages 274-287.
- Rajaram, Kumar & Tang, Christopher S., 2001. "The impact of product substitution on retail merchandising," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 135(3), pages 582-601, December.
- van Zelst, Susan & van Donselaar, Karel & van Woensel, Tom & Broekmeulen, Rob & Fransoo, Jan, 2009. "Logistics drivers for shelf stacking in grocery retail stores: Potential for efficiency improvement," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 121(2), pages 620-632, October.
- Gérard P. Cachon & Christian Terwiesch & Yi Xu, 2005. "Retail Assortment Planning in the Presence of Consumer Search," Manufacturing & Service Operations Management, INFORMS, vol. 7(4), pages 330-346, August.
- Andrew Lim & Brian Rodrigues & Xingwen Zhang, 2004. "Metaheuristics with Local Search Techniques for Retail Shelf-Space Optimization," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 50(1), pages 117-131, January.
- Koschat, Martin A., 2008. "Store inventory can affect demand: Empirical evidence from magazine retailing," Journal of Retailing, Elsevier, vol. 84(2), pages 165-179.
- Marcel Corstjens & Peter Doyle, 1981. "A Model for Optimizing Retail Space Allocations," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 27(7), pages 822-833, July.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Stelios Tsafarakis & Charalampos Saridakis & Nikolaos Matsatsinis & George Baltas, 2016. "Private labels and retail assortment planning: a differential evolution approach," Annals of Operations Research, Springer, vol. 247(2), pages 677-692, December.
- Tanusondjaja, Arry & Nenycz-Thiel, Magda & Dawes, John & Kennedy, Rachel, 2018. "Portfolios: Patterns in brand penetration, market share, and hero product variants," Journal of Retailing and Consumer Services, Elsevier, vol. 41(C), pages 211-217.
- Masoud Rabbani & Navid Salmanzadeh-Meydani & Amir Farshbaf-Geranmayeh & Vahed Fadakar-Gabalou, 2018. "Profit maximizing through 3D shelf space allocation of 2D display orientation items with variable heights of the shelves," OPSEARCH, Springer;Operational Research Society of India, vol. 55(2), pages 337-360, June.
- Weinrich, Ramona & Kühl, Sarah & Franz, Anabell & Spiller, Achim, 2015. "Consumer preferences for meat: self-service counter or service counter?," 2015 International European Forum (144th EAAE Seminar), February 9-13, 2015, Innsbruck-Igls, Austria 206232, International European Forum on System Dynamics and Innovation in Food Networks.
- Bianchi-Aguiar, Teresa & Silva, Elsa & Guimarães, Luis & Carravilla, Maria Antónia & Oliveira, José F., 2018. "Allocating products on shelves under merchandising rules: Multi-level product families with display directions," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 76(C), pages 47-62.
- Hübner, Alexander & Kuhn, Heinrich & Kühn, Sandro, 2016. "An efficient algorithm for capacitated assortment planning with stochastic demand and substitution," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 250(2), pages 505-520.
- Rucheva, A., 2015. "Determinants of joint supplier-retailer project performance in category management field," Working Papers 6423, Graduate School of Management, St. Petersburg State University.
- Teresa Bianchi-Aguiar & Elsa Silva & Luis Guimarães & Maria Antónia Carravilla & José F. Oliveira & João Günther Amaral & Jorge Liz & Sérgio Lapela, 2016. "Using Analytics to Enhance a Food Retailer’s Shelf-Space Management," Interfaces, INFORMS, vol. 46(5), pages 424-444, October.
- Sternbeck, Michael G. & Kuhn, Heinrich, 2014. "An integrative approach to determine store delivery patterns in grocery retailing," Transportation Research Part E: Logistics and Transportation Review, Elsevier, vol. 70(C), pages 205-224.
- Kuo, Chia-Wei & Yang, Shu-Jung Sunny, 2013. "The role of store brand positioning for appropriating supply chain profit under shelf space allocation," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 231(1), pages 88-97.
- Mou, Shandong & Robb, David J. & DeHoratius, Nicole, 2018. "Retail store operations: Literature review and research directions," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 265(2), pages 399-422.
- Denis Drexler & Martin Souček, 2017. "The Level of Shelves and Space Solution as One of the Key Factors for Consumer Attention," Acta Universitatis Agriculturae et Silviculturae Mendelianae Brunensis, Mendel University Press, vol. 65(5), pages 1679-1686.
- Hans Corsten & Michael Hopf & Benedikt Kasper & Clemens Thielen, 2018. "Assortment planning for multiple chain stores," OR Spectrum: Quantitative Approaches in Management, Springer;Gesellschaft für Operations Research e.V., vol. 40(4), pages 875-912, October.
- Alexander Hübner & Kai Schaal, 2017. "Effect of replenishment and backroom on retail shelf-space planning," Business Research, Springer;German Academic Association for Business Research, vol. 10(1), pages 123-156, June.
- Stelios Tsafarakis, 2016. "Redesigning product lines in a period of economic crisis: a hybrid simulated annealing algorithm with crossover," Annals of Operations Research, Springer, vol. 247(2), pages 617-633, December.
- Ahmed Ghoniem & Tulay Flamand & Mohamed Haouari, 2016. "Exact Solution Methods for a Generalized Assignment Problem with Location/Allocation Considerations," INFORMS Journal on Computing, INFORMS, vol. 28(3), pages 589-602, August.
- Giang Trinh & Jenni Romaniuk & Arry Tanusondjaja, 2016. "Benchmarking buyer behavior towards new brands," Marketing Letters, Springer, vol. 27(4), pages 743-752, December.
- Zhao, Ju & Zhou, Yong-Wu & Wahab, M.I.M., 2016. "Joint optimization models for shelf display and inventory control considering the impact of spatial relationship on demand," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 255(3), pages 797-808.
- Flamand, Tulay & Ghoniem, Ahmed & Haouari, Mohamed & Maddah, Bacel, 2018. "Integrated assortment planning and store-wide shelf space allocation: An optimization-based approach," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 81(C), pages 134-149.
- Tsao, Yu-Chung & Lu, Jye-Chyi & An, Na & Al-Khayyal, Faiz & Lu, Richard W. & Han, Guanghua, 2014. "Retailer shelf-space management with trade allowance: A Stackelberg game between retailer and manufacturers," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 148(C), pages 133-144.
- Deane, Jason & Agarwal, Anurag, 2012. "Scheduling online advertisements to maximize revenue under variable display frequency," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 40(5), pages 562-570.
- Strauss, Arne K. & Klein, Robert & Steinhardt, Claudius, 2018. "A review of choice-based revenue management: Theory and methods," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 271(2), pages 375-387.
- Hübner, Alexander & Schaal, Kai, 2017. "An integrated assortment and shelf-space optimization model with demand substitution and space-elasticity effects," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 261(1), pages 302-316.
- Schaal, Kai & Hübner, Alexander, 2018. "When does cross-space elasticity matter in shelf-space planning? A decision analytics approach," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 80(C), pages 135-152.
More about this item
KeywordsRetail Decision making/process Decision support systems Information systems Newsboy problem;
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:jomega:v:40:y:2012:i:2:p:199-209. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu). General contact details of provider: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/375/description#description .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.