Retail category management: State-of-the-art review of quantitative research and software applications in assortment and shelf space management
Retail requires efficient decision support to manage increasing product proliferation and various consumer choice effects with limited shelf space. Our goal is to identify, describe and compare decision support systems for category planning. This research analyzes quantitative models and software applications in assortment and shelf space management and contributes to a more integrated modeling approach. There are difficulties commonly involved in the use of commercial software and the implementation and transfer of scientific models. Scientific decision models either focus on space-dependent demand or substitution effects, whereas software applications use simplistic rules of thumb. We show that retail assortment planning models neglect space-elastic demand and largely also ignore constraints of limited shelf space. Shelf space management streams on the other hand, mostly omit substitution effects between products when products are delisted orout-of-stock, which is the focus of consumer choice models in assortment planning. Also, the problem sizes of the models are often not relevant for realistic category sizes. Addressing these issues, this paper provides a state-of-the-art overview and research framework for integrated assortment and shelf space planning.
Volume (Year): 40 (2012)
Issue (Month): 2 (April)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/375/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/supportfaq.cws_home/regional|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- B. Ramaseshan & N. R. Achuthan & R. Collinson, 2009. "A Retail Category Management Model Integrating Shelf Space And Inventory Levels," Asia-Pacific Journal of Operational Research (APJOR), World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd., vol. 26(04), pages 457-478.
- B. Ramaseshan & N. R. Achuthan & R. Collinson, 2008. "Decision Support Tool For Retail Shelf Space Optimization," International Journal of Information Technology & Decision Making (IJITDM), World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd., vol. 7(03), pages 547-565.
- Pentico, David W., 2008. "The assortment problem: A survey," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 190(2), pages 295-309, October.
- Hwang, Hark & Choi, Bum & Lee, Min-Jin, 2005. "A model for shelf space allocation and inventory control considering location and inventory level effects on demand," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 97(2), pages 185-195, August.
- Marcel Corstjens & Peter Doyle, 1981. "A Model for Optimizing Retail Space Allocations," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 27(7), pages 822-833, July.
- Fitzsimons, Gavan J, 2000. " Consumer Response to Stockouts," Journal of Consumer Research, University of Chicago Press, vol. 27(2), pages 249-66, September.
- Ketzenberg, Michael & Metters, Richard & Vargas, Vicente, 2002. "Quantifying the benefits of breaking bulk in retail operations," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 80(3), pages 249-263, December.
- Rajaram, Kumar & Tang, Christopher S., 2001. "The impact of product substitution on retail merchandising," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 135(3), pages 582-601, December.
- Hwang, Hark & Hahn, Kyu Hun, 2000. "An optimal procurement policy for items with an inventory level-dependent demand rate and fixed lifetime," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 127(3), pages 537-545, December.
- Hariga, Moncer A. & Al-Ahmari, Abdulrahman & Mohamed, Abdel-Rahman A., 2007. "A joint optimisation model for inventory replenishment, product assortment, shelf space and display area allocation decisions," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 181(1), pages 239-251, August.
- Yang, Ming-Hsien, 2001. "An efficient algorithm to allocate shelf space," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 131(1), pages 107-118, May.
- Hoyer, Wayne D, 1984. " An Examination of Consumer Decision Making for a Common Repeat Purchase Product," Journal of Consumer Research, University of Chicago Press, vol. 11(3), pages 822-29, December.
- Hansen, Pierre & Heinsbroek, Hans, 1979. "Product selection and space allocation in supermarkets," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 3(6), pages 474-484, November.
- Abbott, Harish & Palekar, Udatta S., 2008. "Retail replenishment models with display-space elastic demand," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 186(2), pages 586-607, April.
- Andrew Lim & Brian Rodrigues & Xingwen Zhang, 2004. "Metaheuristics with Local Search Techniques for Retail Shelf-Space Optimization," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 50(1), pages 117-131, January.
- Khouja, Moutaz, 1999. "The single-period (news-vendor) problem: literature review and suggestions for future research," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 27(5), pages 537-553, October.
- Vishal Gaur & Dorothée Honhon, 2006. "Assortment Planning and Inventory Decisions Under a Locational Choice Model," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 52(10), pages 1528-1543, October.
- Karel H. van Donselaar & Vishal Gaur & Tom van Woensel & Rob A. C. M. Broekmeulen & Jan C. Fransoo, 2010. "Ordering Behavior in Retail Stores and Implications for Automated Replenishment," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 56(5), pages 766-784, May.
- Desmet, Pierre & Renaudin, Valérie, 1998. "Estimation of Product Category Sales Responsiveness to Allocated Shelf-Space," Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine 123456789/1757, Paris Dauphine University.
- van Zelst, Susan & van Donselaar, Karel & van Woensel, Tom & Broekmeulen, Rob & Fransoo, Jan, 2009. "Logistics drivers for shelf stacking in grocery retail stores: Potential for efficiency improvement," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 121(2), pages 620-632, October.
- Gérard P. Cachon & Christian Terwiesch & Yi Xu, 2005. "Retail Assortment Planning in the Presence of Consumer Search," Manufacturing & Service Operations Management, INFORMS, vol. 7(4), pages 330-346, August.
- Yücel, Eda & Karaesmen, Fikri & Salman, F. Sibel & Türkay, Metin, 2009. "Optimizing product assortment under customer-driven demand substitution," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 199(3), pages 759-768, December.
- Garrett van Ryzin & Siddharth Mahajan, 1999. "On the Relationship Between Inventory Costs and Variety Benefits in Retail Assortments," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 45(11), pages 1496-1509, November.
- Sanjeev Swami & Jehoshua Eliashberg & Charles B. Weinberg, 1999. "SilverScreener: A Modeling Approach to Movie Screens Management," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 18(3), pages 352-372.
- Yang, Ming-Hsien & Chen, Wen-Cher, 1999. "A study on shelf space allocation and management," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 60(1), pages 309-317, April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:jomega:v:40:y:2012:i:2:p:199-209. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.