The assortment problem: A survey
The assortment or catalog problem involves determining which of the possible set of sizes or qualities of some product should be stocked when it is not possible or desirable to stock all of them and substitution in one direction (larger for smaller or higher-quality for lower-quality) is possible at some cost. We review the work published on this topic over the last 50 years.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Richard Bellman, 1957. "On a Dynamic Programming Approach to the Caterer Problem--I," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 3(3), pages 270-278, April.
- David W. Pentico, 1974. "The Assortment Problem with Probabilistic Demands," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 21(3), pages 286-290, November.
- Wieslaw Sadowski, 1959. "A Few Remarks on the Assortment Problem," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 6(1), pages 13-24, October.
- Agrawal, P. K., 1993. "Determining stock-sheet-sizes to minimise trim loss," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 64(3), pages 423-431, February.
- Baker, Barrie M., 1999. "A spreadsheet modelling approach to the assortment problem," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 114(1), pages 83-92, April.
- Hinxman, A. I., 1980. "The trim-loss and assortment problems: A survey," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 5(1), pages 8-18, July.
- Wieslaw Sadowski, 1959. "A Few Remarks on the Assortment Problem," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 67, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Harvey M. Wagner & Thomson M. Whitin, 1958. "Dynamic Version of the Economic Lot Size Model," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 5(1), pages 89-96, October.
- Chand, Suresh & Ward, James E. & Kevin Weng, Z., 1994. "A parts selection model with one-way substitution," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 73(1), pages 65-69, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:ejores:v:190:y:2008:i:2:p:295-309. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.