The assortment problem: A survey
The assortment or catalog problem involves determining which of the possible set of sizes or qualities of some product should be stocked when it is not possible or desirable to stock all of them and substitution in one direction (larger for smaller or higher-quality for lower-quality) is possible at some cost. We review the work published on this topic over the last 50 years.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Chand, Suresh & Ward, James E. & Kevin Weng, Z., 1994. "A parts selection model with one-way substitution," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 73(1), pages 65-69, February.
- Baker, Barrie M., 1999. "A spreadsheet modelling approach to the assortment problem," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 114(1), pages 83-92, April.
- Harvey M. Wagner & Thomson M. Whitin, 1958. "Dynamic Version of the Economic Lot Size Model," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 5(1), pages 89-96, October.
- Wieslaw Sadowski, 1959. "A Few Remarks on the Assortment Problem," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 6(1), pages 13-24, October.
- Agrawal, P. K., 1993. "Determining stock-sheet-sizes to minimise trim loss," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 64(3), pages 423-431, February.
- Hinxman, A. I., 1980. "The trim-loss and assortment problems: A survey," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 5(1), pages 8-18, July.
- Richard Bellman, 1957. "On a Dynamic Programming Approach to the Caterer Problem--I," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 3(3), pages 270-278, April.
- Wieslaw Sadowski, 1959. "A Few Remarks on the Assortment Problem," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 67, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- David W. Pentico, 1974. "The Assortment Problem with Probabilistic Demands," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 21(3), pages 286-290, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:ejores:v:190:y:2008:i:2:p:295-309. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shamier, Wendy)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.