The Food Retail Revolution in Poor Countries: Is It Coming or Is It Over?
Download full text from publisher
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
- Elizabeth M.M.Q. Farina & Rubens Nunes & Guilherme F. de A Monteiro, 2005. "Supermarkets and their impacts on the agrifood system of Brazil: The competition among retailers," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 21(2), pages 133-147.
- Deaton, Angus, 1988. "Quality, Quantity, and Spatial Variation of Price," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 78(3), pages 418-430, June.
- Ulrich Lehmann-Grube, 1997. "Strategic Choice of Quality When Quality is Costly: The Persistence of the High-Quality Advantage," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 28(2), pages 372-384, Summer.
- Liesbeth Dries & Thomas Reardon & Johan F. M. Swinnen, 2004. "The Rapid Rise of Supermarkets in Central and Eastern Europe: Implications for the Agrifood Sector and Rural Development," Development Policy Review, Overseas Development Institute, vol. 22, pages 525-556, September.
- C. Dolan & J. Humphrey, 2000. "Governance and Trade in Fresh Vegetables: The Impact of UK Supermarkets on the African Horticulture Industry," Journal of Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 37(2), pages 147-176.
- Garrett, James L., ed. & Ruel, Marie T., ed., 2000. "Achieving urban food and nutrition security in the developing world:," 2020 vision focus 3, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Ellickson, Paul B., 2006. "Quality competition in retailing: A structural analysis," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 24(3), pages 521-540, May.
- Dave D. Weatherspoon & Thomas Reardon, 2003. "The Rise of Supermarkets in Africa: Implications for Agrifood Systems and the Rural Poor," Development Policy Review, Overseas Development Institute, vol. 21, pages 333-355, May.
- Martin Pesendorfer, 2002. "Retail Sales: A Study of Pricing Behavior in Supermarkets," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 75(1), pages 33-66, January.
- Howard Smith, 2004. "Supermarket Choice and Supermarket Competition in Market Equilibrium," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 71(1), pages 235-263.
- Pinstrup-Andersen, Per, 1985. "Food Prices and the Poor in Developing Countries," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 12(1-2), pages 69-81.
- Margaret E. Slade & G.R.E.Q.A.M., 1998. "Optimal Pricing with Costly Adjustment: Evidence from Retail-Grocery Prices," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 65(1), pages 87-107.
- Dinghuan Hu & Thomas Reardon & Scott Rozelle & Peter Timmer & Honglin Wang, 2004. "The Emergence of Supermarkets with Chinese Characteristics: Challenges and Opportunities for China's Agricultural Development," Development Policy Review, Overseas Development Institute, vol. 22, pages 557-586, September.
- Paul W. Dobson & Michael Waterson, 2005. "Chain-Store Pricing Across Local Markets," Journal of Economics & Management Strategy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 14(1), pages 93-119, March.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Gómez, Miguel I. & Ricketts, Katie D., 2013. "Food value chain transformations in developing countries: Selected hypotheses on nutritional implications," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 42(C), pages 139-150.
- Buergelt, Doreen & von Oppen, Matthias & Yadavendra, Jagdish Prasad, 2009. "Hedonic price analysis to guide breeding for upgrading an orphan crop in India and Nepal," 2009 Conference, August 16-22, 2009, Beijing, China 51758, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Minten, Bart & Reardon, Thomas & Vandeplas, Anneleen, 2009. "Linking urban consumers and rural farmers in India: A comparison of traditional and modern food supply chains," IFPRI discussion papers 883, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Johan F.M. Swinnen & Anneleen Vandeplas, 2010.
"Market power and rents in global supply chains,"
International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 41(s1), pages 109-120, November.
- Swinnen, Johan F.M. & Vandeplas, Anneleen, 2009. "Market Power and Rents in Global Supply Chains," 2009 Conference, August 16-22, 2009, Beijing, China 53213, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- repec:eee:jouret:v:87:y:2011:i:s1:p:s53-s66 is not listed on IDEAS
- Tschirley, David L. & Ayieko, Miltone W. & Hichaambwa, Munguzwe & Goeb, Joey & Loescher, Wayne, 2010. "Modernizing Africa’s Fresh Produce Supply Chains without Rapid Supermarket Takeover: Towards a Definition of Research and Investment Priorities," Food Security International Development Working Papers 93030, Michigan State University, Department of Agricultural, Food, and Resource Economics.
- Suryadarma, Daniel & Poesoro, Adri & Akhmadi & Budiyati, Sri & Rosfadhila, Meuthia & Suryahadi, Asep, 2010. "Traditional food traders in developing countries and competition from supermarkets: Evidence from Indonesia," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 35(1), pages 79-86, February.
- Minten, Bart & Reardon, Thomas & Sutradhar, Rajib, 2010. "Food Prices and Modern Retail: The Case of Delhi," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 38(12), pages 1775-1787, December.
- Gorton, Matthew & Sauer, Johannes & Supatpongkul, Pajaree, 2011. "Wet Markets, Supermarkets and the "Big Middle" for Food Retailing in Developing Countries: Evidence from Thailand," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 39(9), pages 1624-1637, September.
- Maertens, Miet & Swinnen, Johan, 2015. "Agricultural trade and development: A value chain perspective," WTO Staff Working Papers ERSD-2015-04, World Trade Organization (WTO), Economic Research and Statistics Division.
- Tschirley, David L. & Ayieko, Miltone W., 2008. "Assessment of Kenya's Domestic Horticultural Production and Marketing Systems and Lessons for the Future," Food Security Collaborative Working Papers 55431, Michigan State University, Department of Agricultural, Food, and Resource Economics.
- Anneleen Vandeplas & Bart Minten, 2015.
"Food quality in domestic markets of developing economies: a comparative study of two countries,"
International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 46(5), pages 617-628, September.
- Anneleen Vandeplas & Bart Minten, 2011. "Food quality in domestic markets of developing economies:A comparative study of two countries," LICOS Discussion Papers 28911, LICOS - Centre for Institutions and Economic Performance, KU Leuven.
- Miet Maertens & Bart Minten & Jo Swinnen, 2009. "Growth in high-value export markets in Sub-Saharan Africa and its development implications," LICOS Discussion Papers 24509, LICOS - Centre for Institutions and Economic Performance, KU Leuven.
- Tschirley, David L. & Hichaambwa, Munguzwe, 2010. "The Structure and Behavior of Vegetable Markets Serving Lusaka: Main Report," Food Security Collaborative Working Papers 93006, Michigan State University, Department of Agricultural, Food, and Resource Economics.
More about this item
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ucp:ecdecc:v:56:y:2008:p:767-789. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Journals Division). General contact details of provider: http://www.journals.uchicago.edu/EDCC/ .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.