Small Farmers and Big Retail: trade-offs of supplying supermarkets in Nicaragua
In Nicaragua and elsewhere in Central America, small-scale farmers are weighing the risks of entering into contracts with supermarket chains. We use unique data on negotiated prices from Nicaraguan farm cooperatives supplying supermarkets to study the impact of supply agreements on producers’ mean output prices and price stability. We find that prices paid by the domestic retail chain approximate the traditional market in mean and variance. In contrast, we find that mean prices paid by Wal-mart are significantly lower than the traditional market but that Wal-Mart systematically reduces price volatility compared with the traditional market. We find some evidence, however, that farmers may be paying too much for this contractual insurance against price variation.
|Date of creation:||Apr 2010|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (517) 355-4563
Fax: (517) 432-1800
Web page: http://www.aec.msu.edu/agecon/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- C. Dolan & J. Humphrey, 2000. "Governance and Trade in Fresh Vegetables: The Impact of UK Supermarkets on the African Horticulture Industry," Journal of Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 37(2), pages 147-176.
- Reardon, Thomas & Barrett, Christopher B., 2000.
"Agroindustrialization, globalization, and international development An overview of issues, patterns, and determinants,"
Agricultural Economics of Agricultural Economists,
International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 23(3), September.
- Reardon, Thomas & Barrett, Christopher B., 2000. "Agroindustrialization, globalization, and international development: An overview of issues, patterns, and determinants," Agricultural Economics, Blackwell, vol. 23(3), pages 195-205, September.
- Ricardo Hernández & Thomas Reardon & Julio Berdegué, 2007. "Supermarkets, wholesalers, and tomato growers in Guatemala," Agricultural Economics, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 36(3), pages 281-290, 05.
- Michelson, Hope & Reardon, Thomas & Perez, Francisco, 2012.
"Small Farmers and Big Retail: Trade-offs of Supplying Supermarkets in Nicaragua,"
Elsevier, vol. 40(2), pages 342-354.
- Michelson, Hope & Reardon, Thomas & Perez, Francisco Jose, 2010. "Small Farmers and Big Retail: trade-offs of supplying supermarkets in Nicaragua," Staff Papers 62124, Michigan State University, Department of Agricultural, Food, and Resource Economics.
- Miet Maertens & Johan F.M. Swinnen, 2006.
"Trade, Standards, and Poverty: Evidence from Senegal,"
LICOS Discussion Papers
17706, LICOS - Centre for Institutions and Economic Performance, KU Leuven.
- Maertens, Miet & Swinnen, Johan F.M., 2009. "Trade, Standards, and Poverty: Evidence from Senegal," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 37(1), pages 161-178, January.
- Maertens, Miet & Swinnen, Johan F.M., 2007. "Trade, Standards and Poverty. Evidence from Senegal," 106th Seminar, October 25-27, 2007, Montpellier, France 7924, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Abadie A., 2002. "Bootstrap Tests for Distributional Treatment Effects in Instrumental Variable Models," Journal of the American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 97, pages 284-292, March.
- Chavas, Jean-Paul & Holt, Matthew T, 1996. "Economic Behavior under Uncertainty: A Joint Analysis of Risk Preferences and Technology," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 78(2), pages 329-35, May.
- Peter Gibbon, 2003. "Value-chain Governance, Public Regulation and Entry Barriers in the Global Fresh Fruit and Vegetable Chain into the EU," Development Policy Review, Overseas Development Institute, vol. 21(5-6), pages 615-625, December.
- Johan F. M. Swinnen & Miet Maertens, 2007.
"Globalization, privatization, and vertical coordination in food value chains in developing and transition countries,"
International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 37(s1), pages 89-102, December.
- Swinnen, Johan F.M. & Maertens, Miet, 2006. "Globalization, Privatization, and Vertical Coordination in Food Value Chains in Developing and Transition Countries," 2006 Annual Meeting, August 12-18, 2006, Queensland, Australia 25626, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Bellemare, Marc F. & Barrett, Christopher B. & Just, David R., 2010. "The Welfare Impacts of Commodity Price Fluctuations: Evidence from Rural Ethiopia," MPRA Paper 24457, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Key, Nigel & Runsten, David, 1999. "Contract Farming, Smallholders, and Rural Development in Latin America: The Organization of Agroprocessing Firms and the Scale of Outgrower Production," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 27(2), pages 381-401, February.
- Johann Kirsten & Kurt Sartorius, 2002.
"Linking agribusiness and small-scale farmers in developing countries: Is there a new role for contract farming?,"
Development Southern Africa,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 19(4), pages 503-529.
- Kirsten, Johann F. & Sartorius, Kurt, 2002. "Linking Agribusiness And Small-Scale Farmers In Developing Countries: Is There A New Role For Contract Farming?," Working Papers 18025, University of Pretoria, Department of Agricultural Economics, Extension and Rural Development.
- David Boselie & Spencer Henson & Dave Weatherspoon, 2003. "Supermarket Procurement Practices in Developing Countries: Redefining the Roles of the Public and Private Sectors," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 85(5), pages 1155-1161.
- Thomas Reardon & C. Peter Timmer & Christopher B. Barrett & Julio Berdegué, 2003. "The Rise of Supermarkets in Africa, Asia, and Latin America," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 85(5), pages 1140-1146.
- Jose Blandon & Spencer Henson & Towhidul Islam, 2009. "Marketing preferences of small-scale farmers in the context of new agrifood systems: a stated choice model," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 25(2), pages 251-267.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:midasp:62124. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.