Hedonic price analysis to guide breeding for upgrading an orphan crop in India and Nepal
Crop breeding has contributed much towards assuring the supply of high quality food for a rapidly growing world population. Crop breeding has, however, been focused on only a relatively small number of species and many more have been neglected. In this paper we report on our contributions to a multidisciplinary research project that aims at improving ricebean (Vigna umbellata) – an orphan pulse crop in India and Nepal – and at introducing improved ricebean into local and regional markets. The Ricebean has always been a traditional pulse in India and Nepal. Areas where the ricebean is grown today are characterized as remote regarding the access to markets and prevalence of subsistence households. Consumer preferences where captured by collecting ricebean prices and samples and a multivariate regression was used to estimate the influence of characteristics significantly affecting prices. With this estimated preference index breeders can assess the expected price of an improved ricebean variety at an early stage in plant breeding.
|Date of creation:||2009|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.iaae-agecon.org/|
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kelvin J. Lancaster, 1966. "A New Approach to Consumer Theory," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 74, pages 132.
- Rosen, Sherwin, 1974. "Hedonic Prices and Implicit Markets: Product Differentiation in Pure Competition," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 82(1), pages 34-55, Jan.-Feb..
- Gruere, Guillaume P. & Smale, Melinda & Giuliani, Alessandra, 2006. "Marketing Underutilized Plant Species for the Poor," 2006 Annual Meeting, August 12-18, 2006, Queensland, Australia 25742, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Bart Minten, 2008. "The Food Retail Revolution in Poor Countries: Is It Coming or Is It Over?," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 56, pages 767-789.
- Lee, Jonq-Ying & Brown, Mark G., 1989. "Consumer Demand For Food Diversity," Southern Journal of Agricultural Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 21(02), December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:iaae09:51758. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.