Are PPP tests erratically behaved? Some panel evidence
This paper examines whether, in addition to standard unit root and cointegration tests, panel approaches also produce test statistics behaving erratically when applied to tests for Purchasing Power Parity (PPP). We show that if appropriate tests (which are robust to cross-sectional dependence) are used, any evidence of erratic behaviour disappears, and empirical support is found for PPP.
Volume (Year): 24 (2010)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/CIRA20|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.tandfonline.com/pricing/journal/CIRA20|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Guglielmo Maria Caporale & Mario Cerrato, 2006.
"Panel data tests of PPP: a critical overview,"
Applied Financial Economics,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 16(1-2), pages 73-91.
- Guglielmo Maria Caporale & Mario Cerrato, 2004. "Panel Data Tests Of Ppp: A Critical Overview," Economics and Finance Discussion Papers 04-18, Economics and Finance Section, School of Social Sciences, Brunel University.
- Caporale, Guglielmo Maria & Cerrato, Mario, 2004. "Panel Data Tests of PPP. A Critical Overview," Economics Series 159, Institute for Advanced Studies.
- Guglielmo Maria Caporale & Mario Cerrato, 2004. "Panel Data Tests Of Ppp: A Critical Overview," Public Policy Discussion Papers 04-18, Economics and Finance Section, School of Social Sciences, Brunel University.
- Caporale, Guglielmo Maria & Pittis, Nikitas & Sakellis, Panayiotis, 2003. "Testing for PPP: the erratic behaviour of unit root tests," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 80(2), pages 277-284, August.
- Guglielmo Maria Caporale & Christoph Hanck, 2009. "Cointegration tests of PPP: do they also exhibit erratic behaviour?," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 16(1), pages 9-15.
- Guglielmo Maria Caporale & Christoph Hanck, 2006. "Cointegration Tests Of Ppp:Do They Also Exhibit Erratic Behaviour?," Economics and Finance Discussion Papers 06-18, Economics and Finance Section, School of Social Sciences, Brunel University.
- Guglielmo Maria Caporale & Christoph Hanck, 2006. "Cointegration Tests of PPP: Do they also Exhibit Erratic Behaviour?," CESifo Working Paper Series 1811, CESifo Group Munich.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:taf:irapec:v:24:y:2010:i:2:p:203-221. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Chris Longhurst)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.