Consumer cohorts and purchases of nonalcoholic beverages
Age, period and cohort (APC) variables are included in a demand system that is used to estimate Norwegian purchases of nonalcoholic beverages. To take account of censoring, a two-step method is used. In the first step, the probabilities of purchasing milk, carbonated soft drinks and other soft drinks are estimated by probit models. The APC variables are highly significant. Older cohorts have higher probabilities of purchasing milk and lower probabilities of purchasing carbonated soft drinks than younger cohorts. In the second step, the probability density functions and the cumulative density function are used to correct for censoring. In the corrected demand system, there are positive cohort and negative age effects for milk. These effects suggest that the replacement of older by younger cohorts, in an increasingly older population, will result in reduced per capita purchases of milk. For carbonated soft drinks, there are no cohort or negative age effects, while there are positive age but no cohort effects for other soft drinks. Copyright Springer-Verlag Berlin Heidelberg 2014
Volume (Year): 46 (2014)
Issue (Month): 2 (March)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: ++43 - (0)1 - 599 91 - 0
Fax: ++43 - (0)1 - 599 91 - 555
Web page: http://link.springer.de/link/service/journals/00181/index.htm
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:||Web: http://link.springer.de/orders.htm|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- John L. Park & Oral Capps, 1997. "Demand for Prepared Meals by U.S. Households," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 79(3), pages 814-824.
- Deaton, Angus, 1985. "Panel data from time series of cross-sections," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 30(1-2), pages 109-126.
- Hiroshi Mori & Dennis L. Clason & Jay M. Lillywhite, 2006. "Estimating price and income elasticities in the presence of age-cohort effects," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 22(2), pages 201-217.
- J. Scott Shonkwiler & Steven T. Yen, 1999. "Two-Step Estimation of a Censored System of Equations," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 81(4), pages 972-982.
- Frank Asche & Cathy R. Wessells, 1997. "On Price Indices in the Almost Ideal Demand System," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 79(4), pages 1182-1185.
- Propper, Carol & Rees, Hedley & Green, Katherine, 2001.
"The Demand for Private Medical Insurance in the UK: A Cohort Analysis,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 111(471), pages C180-200, May.
- Propper, Carol & Rees, Hedley, 2000. "The Demand for Private Medical Insurance in the UK: A Cohort Analysis," CEPR Discussion Papers 2513, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Deaton, Angus & Paxson, Christina, 1994.
"Intertemporal Choice and Inequality,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 102(3), pages 437-67, June.
- Puhani, Patrick A, 2000. " The Heckman Correction for Sample Selection and Its Critique," Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 14(1), pages 53-68, February.
- Deaton, Angus S & Muellbauer, John, 1980. "An Almost Ideal Demand System," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 70(3), pages 312-26, June.
- Alain Carpentier & Hervé Guyomard, 2001. "Unconditional Elasticities in Two-Stage Demand Systems: An Approximate Solution," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 83(1), pages 222-229.
- Davide Aristei & Federico Pierali & Luca Pieroni, 2007.
"Cohort, Age and Time Effects in Alcohol Consumption by Italian Households: a Double-Hurdle Approach,"
Quaderni del Dipartimento di Economia, Finanza e Statistica
30/2007, Università di Perugia, Dipartimento Economia.
- David Aristei & Federico Perali & Luca Pieroni, 2008. "Cohort, age and time effects in alcohol consumption by Italian households: a double-hurdle approach," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 35(1), pages 29-61, August.
- Astrid Jonas & Jutta Roosen, 2008. "Demand for milk labels in Germany: organic milk, conventional brands, and retail labels," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 24(2), pages 192-206.
- Nicholas E. Piggott, 2000. "The Incidence of the Costs and Benefits of Generic Advertising," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 82(3), pages 665-671.
- Harald Tauchmann, 2005. "Efficiency of two-step estimators for censored systems of equations: Shonkwiler and Yen reconsidered," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 37(4), pages 367-374.
- Hayden Stewart & Noel Blisard, 2008. "Are Younger Cohorts Demanding Less Fresh Vegetables?," Review of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 30(1), pages 43-60.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:spr:empeco:v:46:y:2014:i:2:p:427-449. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn)or (Christopher F Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.