The Role of Gender, Risk, and Time Preferences in Farmers' Rice Variety Selection in Eastern India
Download full text from publisher
Other versions of this item:
- Mehar, Mamta & Yamano, Takashi & Panda, Architesh, 2017. "The Role of Gender, Risk, and Time Preferences in Farmers' Rice Variety Selection in Eastern India," Asian Journal of Agriculture and Development, Southeast Asian Regional Center for Graduate Study and Research in Agriculture (SEARCA), vol. 14(1), June.
References listed on IDEAS
- Michela Nardo & Michaela Saisana & Andrea Saltelli & Stefano Tarantola & Anders Hoffman & Enrico Giovannini, 2005. "Handbook on Constructing Composite Indicators: Methodology and User Guide," OECD Statistics Working Papers 2005/3, OECD Publishing.
- Feder, Gershon & Just, Richard E & Zilberman, David, 1985.
"Adoption of Agricultural Innovations in Developing Countries: A Survey,"
Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 33(2), pages 255-298, January.
- Feder, Gershon & Just, Richard & Zilberman, David, 1984. "Adoption of Agricultural Innovations in Developing Countries: A Survey," CUDARE Working Papers 201089, University of California, Berkeley, Department of Agricultural and Resource Economics.
- Juan Camilo Cardenas & Jeffrey Carpenter, 2008.
"Behavioural Development Economics: Lessons from Field Labs in the Developing World,"
Journal of Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 44(3), pages 311-338.
- Jeffery Carpenter & Juan Camilo Cardenas, 2006. "Behavioural Development Economics: Lessons from field labs in the developing world," Middlebury College Working Paper Series 0616, Middlebury College, Department of Economics.
- Jenkins, Amanda & Velandia, Margarita & Lambert, Dayton M. & Roberts, Roland K. & Larson, James A. & English, Burton C. & Martin, Steven W., 2011.
"Factors Influencing the Selection of Precision Farming Information Sources by Cotton Producers,"
Agricultural and Resource Economics Review, Cambridge University Press, vol. 40(2), pages 307-320, September.
- Jenkins, Amanda & Velandia, Margarita M. & Lambert, Dayton M. & Roberts, Roland K. & Larson, James A. & English, Burton C. & Martin, Steven W., 2011. "Factors Influencing the Selection of Precision Farming Information Sources by Cotton Producers," Agricultural and Resource Economics Review, Northeastern Agricultural and Resource Economics Association, vol. 40(2), pages 1-14, August.
- Ghimire, Subash & Mehar, Mamta & Mittal, Surabhi, 2012. "Influence of Sources of Seed on Varietal Adoption Behavior of Wheat Farmers in Indo-Gangetic Plains of India," Agricultural Economics Research Review, Agricultural Economics Research Association (India), vol. 25(Conferenc).
- Eckel, Catherine C. & Grossman, Philip J., 2008. "Men, Women and Risk Aversion: Experimental Evidence," Handbook of Experimental Economics Results, in: Charles R. Plott & Vernon L. Smith (ed.), Handbook of Experimental Economics Results, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 113, pages 1061-1073, Elsevier.
- Gladwin, Christina H & McMillan, Della, 1989. "Is a Turnaround in Africa Possible without Helping African Women to Farm?," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 37(2), pages 345-369, January.
- Meinzen-Dick, Ruth & Quisumbing, Agnes & Behrman, Julia & Biermayr-Jenzano, Patricia & Wilde, Vicki & Noordeloos, Marco & Ragasa, Catherine & Beintema, Nienke, 2011. "Engendering agricultural research, development, and extension:," Research reports ruthmeinzen-dick, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- E. Krishna Rao, 2006. "Role of Women in Agriculture: A Micro Level Study," Journal of Global Economy, Research Centre for Social Sciences,Mumbai, India, vol. 2(2), pages 107-118, June.
- Jonna P. ESTUDILLO & Keijiro OTSUKA, 2006. "Lessons From Three Decades Of Green Revolution In The Philippines," The Developing Economies, Institute of Developing Economies, vol. 44(2), pages 123-148, June.
- Pender, John & Jagger, Pamela & Nkonya, Ephraim & Sserunkuuma, Dick, 2004. "Development Pathways and Land Management in Uganda," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 32(5), pages 767-792, May.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Sonia Akter & William Erskine & Luc Spyckerelle & Lucia Viana Branco & Julie Imron, 2020. "The impact of women’s access to agricultural extension on cropping practices in Timor-Leste," Food Security: The Science, Sociology and Economics of Food Production and Access to Food, Springer;The International Society for Plant Pathology, vol. 12(2), pages 449-463, April.
- Takashi Yamano & Maria Luz Malabayabas & Md. Ashraful Habib & Subrata Kumar Das, 2018. "Neighbors follow early adopters under stress: panel data analysis of submergenceâ€ tolerant rice in northern Bangladesh," Agricultural Economics, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 49(3), pages 313-323, May.
Most related itemsThese are the items that most often cite the same works as this one and are cited by the same works as this one.
- Higgins, Daniel & Arslan, Aslihan & Winters, Paul, 2021. "What role can small-scale irrigation play in promoting inclusive rural transformation? Evidence from smallholder rice farmers in the Philippines," Agricultural Water Management, Elsevier, vol. 243(C).
- Galarza, Francisco, 2009.
"Choices under Risk in Rural Peru,"
17708, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Francisco Galarza, 2009. "Choices under risk in rural peru," Artefactual Field Experiments 00047, The Field Experiments Website.
- Galarza, Francisco B., 2009. "Choices under Risk in Rural Peru," Staff Paper Series 542, University of Wisconsin, Agricultural and Applied Economics.
- Galarza, Francisco B., 2009. "Choices under Risk in Rural Peru," Staff Papers 92247, University of Wisconsin-Madison, Department of Agricultural and Applied Economics.
- Magnus Moglia & Kim S. Alexander & Silva Larson & Anne (Giger)-Dray & Garry Greenhalgh & Phommath Thammavong & Manithaythip Thephavanh & Peter Case, 2020. "Gendered Roles in Agrarian Transition: A Study of Lowland Rice Farming in Lao PDR," Sustainability, MDPI, vol. 12(13), pages 1-20, July.
- Jia, Xiangping, 2009. "Synergistic Green and White Revolution: Evidence from Kenya and Uganda," 2009 Conference, August 16-22, 2009, Beijing, China 51367, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Gloede, Oliver & Menkhoff, Lukas & Waibel, Hermann, 2015.
"Shocks, Individual Risk Attitude, and Vulnerability to Poverty among Rural Households in Thailand and Vietnam,"
World Development, Elsevier, vol. 71(C), pages 54-78.
- Gloede, Oliver & Menkhoff, Lukas & Waibel, Hermann, 2012. "Shocks, individual risk attitude, and vulnerability to poverty among rural households in Thailand and Vietnam," Hannover Economic Papers (HEP) dp-508, Leibniz Universität Hannover, Wirtschaftswissenschaftliche Fakultät.
- Aniseh S. Bro, 2020. "Climate Change Adaptation, Food Security, and Attitudes toward Risk among Smallholder Coffee Farmers in Nicaragua," Sustainability, MDPI, vol. 12(17), pages 1-17, August.
- Pender, John & Nkonya, Ephraim & Jagger, Pamela & Sserunkuuma, Dick & Ssali, Henry, 2004.
"Strategies to increase agricultural productivity and reduce land degradation: evidence from Uganda,"
Agricultural Economics, Blackwell, vol. 31(2-3), pages 181-195, December.
- Pender, John L. & Nkonya, Ephraim M. & Jagger, Pamela & Sserunkuuma, Dick & Ssali, Henry, 2003. "Strategies To Increase Agricultural Productivity And Reduce Land Degradation: Evidence From Uganda," 2003 Annual Meeting, August 16-22, 2003, Durban, South Africa 25816, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Gars, Jared & Ward, Patrick S., 2019. "Can differences in individual learning explain patterns of technology adoption? Evidence on heterogeneous learning patterns and hybrid rice adoption in Bihar, India," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 115(C), pages 178-189.
- Giovanni Di Bartolomeo & Stefano Papa, 2019.
"The Effects of Physical Activity on Social Interactions: The Case of Trust and Trustworthiness,"
Journal of Sports Economics, , vol. 20(1), pages 50-71, January.
- Di Bartolomeo Giovanni & Papa Stefano, 2016. "The effects physical activity on social interactions: The case of trust and trustworthiness," wp.comunite 00125, Department of Communication, University of Teramo.
- Di Bartolomeo Giovanni & Stefano Papa, 2017. "The effects of physical activity on social interactions: The case of trust and trustworthiness," wp.comunite 00134, Department of Communication, University of Teramo.
- Martin Eling & Shailee Pradhan & Joan T Schmit, 2014. "The Determinants of Microinsurance Demand," The Geneva Papers on Risk and Insurance - Issues and Practice, Palgrave Macmillan;The Geneva Association, vol. 39(2), pages 224-263, April.
- Bernd Hardeweg & Lukas Menkhoff & Hermann Waibel, 2013.
"Experimentally Validated Survey Evidence on Individual Risk Attitudes in Rural Thailand,"
Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 61(4), pages 859-888.
- Hardeweg, Bernd & Menkhoff, Lukas & Waibel, Hermann, 2011. "Experimentally-validated survey evidence on individual risk attitudes in rural Thailand," Hannover Economic Papers (HEP) dp-464, Leibniz Universität Hannover, Wirtschaftswissenschaftliche Fakultät.
- Ward, Patrick S. & Singh, Vartika, 2013.
"Risk and Ambiguity Preferences and the Adoption of New Agricultural Technologies: Evidence from Field Experiments in Rural India,"
2013 Annual Meeting, August 4-6, 2013, Washington, D.C.
150794, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Ward, Patrick S. & Singh, Vartika, 2014. "Risk and ambiguity preferences and the adoption of new agricultural technologies: Evidence from field experiments in rural India:," IFPRI discussion papers 1324, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Mariano, Marc Jim & Villano, Renato & Fleming, Euan, 2012. "Factors influencing farmers’ adoption of modern rice technologies and good management practices in the Philippines," Agricultural Systems, Elsevier, vol. 110(C), pages 41-53.
- Barham, Bradford L. & Chavas, Jean-Paul & Fitz, Dylan & Salas, Vanessa Ríos & Schechter, Laura, 2014. "The roles of risk and ambiguity in technology adoption," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 97(C), pages 204-218.
- Kirui, Oliver & Mrzabaev, Alisher, 2015. "Costs of landj degradation in Eastern Africa," 2015 Conference, August 9-14, 2015, Milan, Italy 212007, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Di Bartolomeo Giovanni & Papa Stefano, 2015. "Does meditation lead to more selfish or pro-social behaviors in a trust game?," wp.comunite 0117, Department of Communication, University of Teramo.
- Kijima, Yoko & Sserunkuuma, Dick, 2013. "The adoption of NERICA rice varieties at the initial stage of the diffusion process in Uganda," African Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, African Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 8(1), pages 1-11, July.
- Vieider, Ferdinand M. & Truong, Nghi & Martinsson, Peter & Pham Khanh Nam & Martinsson, Peter, 2013. "Risk preferences and development revisited: A field experiment in Vietnam," Discussion Papers, WZB Junior Research Group Risk and Development SP II 2013-403, WZB Berlin Social Science Center.
- Khed, Vijayalaxmi & Jaleta, Moti & Krishna, Vijesh, 2021. "Seed Delivery Pathways and Farmers’ Access to Improved Wheat Varieties in Ethiopia and India," 2021 Conference, August 17-31, 2021, Virtual 315124, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Bradford L. Barham & Jean-Paul Chavas & Dylan Fitz & Vanessa Ríos-Salas & Laura Schechter, 2015. "Risk, learning, and technology adoption," Agricultural Economics, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 46(1), pages 11-24, January.
More about this item
KeywordsVariety Selection; Rice; Preference; India; Gender;
All these keywords.
- Q54 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Environmental Economics - - - Climate; Natural Disasters and their Management; Global Warming
- Q12 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Agriculture - - - Micro Analysis of Farm Firms, Farm Households, and Farm Input Markets
- O18 - Economic Development, Innovation, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - Urban, Rural, Regional, and Transportation Analysis; Housing; Infrastructure
- J16 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Demographic Economics - - - Economics of Gender; Non-labor Discrimination
- D81 - Microeconomics - - Information, Knowledge, and Uncertainty - - - Criteria for Decision-Making under Risk and Uncertainty
- C35 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Multiple or Simultaneous Equation Models; Multiple Variables - - - Discrete Regression and Qualitative Choice Models; Discrete Regressors; Proportions
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:sag:seajad:v:14:y:2017:i:1:p:17-36. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: . General contact details of provider: https://edirc.repec.org/data/searcph.html .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: Benedict A. Juliano (email available below). General contact details of provider: https://edirc.repec.org/data/searcph.html .
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.