Bioenergy, Agriculture and the Developing Countries
The dramatic increase in food and energy prices on the international markets during 2006-2008 has raised a great debate on the respective causes and the most adequate policy responses. The role of agriculture in the production of alternative energy sources has loomed large in this debate. Often, however, attention has focused in particular on analysis of biofuel impacts on commodity prices rather than other important aspects, relating to the potential of the bioenergy sector for the developing countries, and indeed their rural development. This paper offers a survey of the literature addressing recent evolution in the international agricultural markets and the impacts of rising biofuel production on developing countries. The survey will focus particular attention on the possibility of a more active role for the developing countries in the use of renewable resources, such as bioenergy.
Volume (Year): (2010)
Issue (Month): 1 (March)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Via Silvio d'Amico 77, - 00145 Rome Italy|
Phone: +39 06 57114743
Fax: +39 06 57114774
Web page: http://host.uniroma3.it/associazioni/rossidoria/qa.asp
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Trostle, Ronald, 2008. "Factors Contributing to Recent Increases in Food Commodity Prices (PowerPoint)," Seminars 43902, USDA Economists Group.
- Gurgel Angelo & Reilly John M & Paltsev Sergey, 2007. "Potential Land Use Implications of a Global Biofuels Industry," Journal of Agricultural & Food Industrial Organization, De Gruyter, vol. 5(2), pages 1-36, December.
- von Braun, Joachim & Ahmed, Akhter & Asenso-Okyere, Kwadwo & Fan, Shenggen & Gulati, Ashok & Hoddinott, John & Pandya-Lorch, Rajul & Rosegrant, Mark W. & Ruel, Marie & Torero, Maximo & van Rheenen, Te, 2008. "High food prices: The what, who, and how of proposed policy actions [In Chinese]," Policy briefs 1A CH, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Costantini, Valeria & Crespi, Francesco, 2008.
"Environmental regulation and the export dynamics of energy technologies,"
Elsevier, vol. 66(2-3), pages 447-460, June.
- Costantini, Valeria & Crespi, Francesco, 2007. "Environmental regulation and the export dynamics of energy technologies," Department of Economics and Statistics Cognetti de Martiis LEI & BRICK - Laboratory of Economics of Innovation "Franco Momigliano", Bureau of Research in Innovation, Complexity and Knowledge, Collegio 200708, University of Turin.
- Francesco Crespi & Valeria Costantini, 2007. "Environmental Regulation and the Export Dynamics of Energy Technologies," Working Papers 2007.53, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- Hertel, Thomas & Tyner, Wally & Birur, Dileep, 2008. "Biofuels for all? Understanding the Global Impacts of Multinational Mandates," GTAP Working Papers 2809, Center for Global Trade Analysis, Department of Agricultural Economics, Purdue University.
- Hertel, Thomas W. & Tyner, Wallace E. & Birur, Dileep K., 2008. "Biofuels for all? Understanding the Global Impacts of Multinational Mandates," 2008 Annual Meeting, July 27-29, 2008, Orlando, Florida 6526, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Dwivedi, Puneet & Alavalapati, Janaki R.R., 2009. "Economic feasibility of electricity production from energy plantations present on community-managed forestlands in Madhya Pradesh, India," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 37(1), pages 352-360, January.
- Srinivasan, Sunderasan, 2009. "The food v. fuel debate: A nuanced view of incentive structures," Renewable Energy, Elsevier, vol. 34(4), pages 950-954.
- Elobeid Amani & Hart Chad, 2007. "Ethanol Expansion in the Food versus Fuel Debate: How Will Developing Countries Fare?," Journal of Agricultural & Food Industrial Organization, De Gruyter, vol. 5(2), pages 1-23, December.
- Elobeid, Amani & Hart, Chad E., 2009. "Ethanol Expansion in the Food Versus Fuel Debate: How Will Developing Countries Fare?," Staff General Research Papers Archive 12971, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Mitchell, Donald, 2008. "A note on rising food prices," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4682, The World Bank.
- von Braun, Joachim & Ahmed, Akhter & Asenso-Okyere, Kwadwo & Fan, Shenggen & Gulati, Ashok & Hoddinott, John & Pandya-Lorch, Rajul & Rosegrant, Mark W. & Ruel, Marie & Torero, Maximo & van Rheenen, Te, 2008. "High food prices: The what, who, and how of proposed policy actions," Policy briefs 1A, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Peri, Massimo & Baldi, Lucia, 2008. "Biodiesel and vegetable oil market in European Union: some evidences from threshold cointegration analysis," 2008 International Congress, August 26-29, 2008, Ghent, Belgium 43971, European Association of Agricultural Economists. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:rar:journl:0129. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.