Bioenergy, Agriculture and the Developing Countries
The dramatic increase in food and energy prices on the international markets during 2006-2008 has raised a great debate on the respective causes and the most adequate policy responses. The role of agriculture in the production of alternative energy sources has loomed large in this debate. Often, however, attention has focused in particular on analysis of biofuel impacts on commodity prices rather than other important aspects, relating to the potential of the bioenergy sector for the developing countries, and indeed their rural development. This paper offers a survey of the literature addressing recent evolution in the international agricultural markets and the impacts of rising biofuel production on developing countries. The survey will focus particular attention on the possibility of a more active role for the developing countries in the use of renewable resources, such as bioenergy.
Volume (Year): (2010)
Issue (Month): 1 (March)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +39 06 57114743
Fax: +39 06 57114774
Web page: http://host.uniroma3.it/associazioni/rossidoria/qa.asp
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hertel, Thomas W. & Tyner, Wallace E. & Birur, Dileep K., 2008.
"Biofuels for all? Understanding the Global Impacts of Multinational Mandates,"
2008 Annual Meeting, July 27-29, 2008, Orlando, Florida
6526, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Hertel, Thomas & Tyner, Wally & Birur, Dileep, 2008. "Biofuels for all? Understanding the Global Impacts of Multinational Mandates," GTAP Working Papers 2809, Center for Global Trade Analysis, Department of Agricultural Economics, Purdue University.
- Trostle, Ronald, 2008. "Factors Contributing to Recent Increases in Food Commodity Prices (PowerPoint)," Seminars 43902, USDA Economists Group.
- von Braun, Joachim & Ahmed, Akhter & Asenso-Okyere, Kwadwo & Fan, Shenggen & Gulati, Ashok & Hoddinott, John & Pandya-Lorch, Rajul & Rosegrant, Mark W. & Ruel, Marie & Torero, Maximo & van Rheenen, Te, 2008. "High food prices: The what, who, and how of proposed policy actions," Policy briefs 1A, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Elobeid, Amani & Hart, Chad E., 2009.
"Ethanol Expansion in the Food Versus Fuel Debate: How Will Developing Countries Fare?,"
Staff General Research Papers
12971, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Elobeid Amani & Hart Chad, 2007. "Ethanol Expansion in the Food versus Fuel Debate: How Will Developing Countries Fare?," Journal of Agricultural & Food Industrial Organization, De Gruyter, vol. 5(2), pages 1-23, December.
- Costantini, Valeria & Crespi, Francesco, 2007.
"Environmental regulation and the export dynamics of energy technologies,"
Department of Economics and Statistics Cognetti de Martiis LEI & BRICK - Laboratory of Economics of Innovation "Franco Momigliano", Bureau of Research in Innovation, Complexity and Knowledge, Collegio
200708, University of Turin.
- Costantini, Valeria & Crespi, Francesco, 2008. "Environmental regulation and the export dynamics of energy technologies," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 66(2-3), pages 447-460, June.
- Francesco Crespi & Valeria Costantini, 2007. "Environmental Regulation and the Export Dynamics of Energy Technologies," Working Papers 2007.53, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- Gurgel Angelo & Reilly John M & Paltsev Sergey, 2007. "Potential Land Use Implications of a Global Biofuels Industry," Journal of Agricultural & Food Industrial Organization, De Gruyter, vol. 5(2), pages 1-36, December.
- Srinivasan, Sunderasan, 2009. "The food v. fuel debate: A nuanced view of incentive structures," Renewable Energy, Elsevier, vol. 34(4), pages 950-954.
- Mitchell, Donald, 2008. "A note on rising food prices," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4682, The World Bank.
- Peri, Massimo & Baldi, Lucia, 2008. "Biodiesel and vegetable oil market in European Union: some evidences from threshold cointegration analysis," 2008 International Congress, August 26-29, 2008, Ghent, Belgium 43971, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Dwivedi, Puneet & Alavalapati, Janaki R.R., 2009. "Economic feasibility of electricity production from energy plantations present on community-managed forestlands in Madhya Pradesh, India," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 37(1), pages 352-360, January.
- von Braun, Joachim & Ahmed, Akhter & Asenso-Okyere, Kwadwo & Fan, Shenggen & Gulati, Ashok & Hoddinott, John & Pandya-Lorch, Rajul & Rosegrant, Mark W. & Ruel, Marie & Torero, Maximo & van Rheenen, Te, 2008. "High food prices: The what, who, and how of proposed policy actions [In Chinese]," Policy briefs 1A CH, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:rar:journl:0129. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.