Crises and Joint Employment–Productivity Dynamics: A Comparative Perspective for European Countries
This paper investigates the short-term joint dynamics of productivity and employment during economic down cycles in EU economies over the past 20 years. We disentangle changes in output into changes in employment and in productivity. We focus on the last two decades, highlighting the peculiarities of the latest recession. In particular, we show that there have been four major types of adjustments caused by the fall in output in Europe. We also suggest some possible fundamental institutional aspects that could explain both this phenomenon and peculiarities of this last recession.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 54 (2012)
Issue (Month): 2 (June)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.palgrave-journals.com/|
|Order Information:|| Postal: Palgrave Macmillan Journals, Subscription Department, Houndmills, Basingstoke, Hampshire RG21 6XS, UK|
Web: http://www.palgrave-journals.com/pal/subscribe/index.html Email:
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jakub Growiec, 2013.
"On the measurement of technological progress across countries,"
Bank i Kredyt,
National Bank of Poland, Economic Institute, vol. 44(5), pages 467-504.
- Growiec, Jakub, 2009. "On the Measurement of Technological Progress Across Countries," MPRA Paper 19321, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Jakub GROWIEC, . "On the Measurement of Technological Progress Across Countries," EcoMod2010 259600066, EcoMod.
- Jakub Growiec, 2010. "On the measurement of technological progress across countries," National Bank of Poland Working Papers 73, National Bank of Poland, Economic Institute.
- Marianne Baxter & Robert G. King, 1995.
"Measuring Business Cycles Approximate Band-Pass Filters for Economic Time Series,"
NBER Working Papers
5022, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Marianne Baxter & Robert G. King, 1999. "Measuring Business Cycles: Approximate Band-Pass Filters For Economic Time Series," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 81(4), pages 575-593, November.
- Lawrence J. Christiano & Terry J. Fitzgerald, 1999.
"The Band pass filter,"
9906, Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland.
- Zsolt Darvas & György Szapáry, 2006.
"Business Cycle Synchronization in the Enlarged EU,"
0604, Department of Mathematical Economics and Economic Analysis, Corvinus University of Budapest.
- Belorgey, Nicolas & Lecat, Remy & Maury, Tristan-Pierre, 2006.
"Determinants of productivity per employee: An empirical estimation using panel data,"
Elsevier, vol. 91(2), pages 153-157, May.
- Belorgey, N. & Lecat, R. & Maury, P-M., 2004. "Determinants of Productivity per Employee: an Empirical Estimation Using Panel Data," Working papers 110, Banque de France.
- Mukand, Sharun W. & Rodrik, Dani, 2002.
"In Search of the Holy Grail: Policy Convergence, Experimentation and Economic Performance,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
3525, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Sharun W. Mukand & Dani Rodrik, 2005. "In Search of the Holy Grail: Policy Convergence, Experimentation, and Economic Performance," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 95(1), pages 374-383, March.
- Mukand, Sharun & Rodrik, Dani, 2002. "In Search of the Holy Grail: Policy Convergence, Experimentation and Economic Performance," Working Paper Series rwp02-027, Harvard University, John F. Kennedy School of Government.
- Sharun Mukand & Dani Rodrik, 2002. "In Search of the Holy Grail: Policy Convergence, Experimentation, and Economic Performance," NBER Working Papers 9134, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Werner Eichhorst & Michael Feil & Paul Marx, 2010.
"Crisis, What Crisis? Patterns of Adaptation in European Labor Markets,"
Applied Economics Quarterly (formerly: Konjunkturpolitik),
Duncker & Humblot, Berlin, vol. 61(Supplemen), pages 29-64.
- Eichhorst, Werner & Feil, Michael & Marx, Paul, 2010. "Crisis, What Crisis? Patterns of Adaptation in European Labor Markets," IZA Discussion Papers 5045, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Arpaia, Alfonso & Curci, Nicola, 2010.
"EU labour market behaviour during the Great Recession,"
22393, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Alfonso Arpaia & Nicola Curci, 2010. "EU labour market behaviour during the Great Recession," European Economy - Economic Papers 405, Directorate General Economic and Financial Affairs (DG ECFIN), European Commission.
- Alfonso ARPAIA & Nicola CURCI, . "EU labour market behaviour during the Great Recession," Working Papers wp2010-6, Department of the Treasury, Ministry of the Economy and of Finance.
- Andrew K. Rose, 2000. "One money, one market: the effect of common currencies on trade," Economic Policy, CEPR;CES;MSH, vol. 15(30), pages 7-46, 04.
- Bernard, Andrew B & Jones, Charles I, 1996. "Comparing Apples to Oranges: Productivity Convergence and Measurement across Industries and Countries," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 86(5), pages 1216-38, December.
- Robert J. Hodrick & Edward Prescott, 1981.
"Post-War U.S. Business Cycles: An Empirical Investigation,"
451, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Hodrick, Robert J & Prescott, Edward C, 1997. "Postwar U.S. Business Cycles: An Empirical Investigation," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 29(1), pages 1-16, February.
- Lee, Jim, 2000. "The Robustness of Okun's Law: Evidence from OECD Countries," Journal of Macroeconomics, Elsevier, vol. 22(2), pages 331-356, April.
- Enrico Marelli & Marcello Signorelli, 2010. "Employment, productivity and models of growth in the EU," International Journal of Manpower, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 31(7), pages 732-754, November.
- Paul Beaudry & Fabrice Collard, 2002. "Why has the Employment-Productivity Tradeoff among Industrialized Countries been so strong?," NBER Working Papers 8754, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pal:compes:v:54:y:2012:i:2:p:361-394. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Daniel Foley)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.