Population Ageing and Structural Adjustment
The future effects of population ageing on the Australian economy have been widely canvassed in recent years, most notably in government reports concerned with its budgetary position. On the income side, they focus on how ageing affects labour supply and gross domestic product. On the expenditure side, they focus on how ageing affects various spending categories including education, health and aged care. This paper provides a complementary analysis in that it considers how the structure of the economy is likely to be affected by these influences. In particular, it analyses the effects on 64 skill groups, 81 occupations and 106 industries. The effects are modelled by comparing two economies: a base case in which population ageing takes place, and an alternative (counterfactual) economy in which the age structure of the population remains unchanged. The simulations are conducted using the MONASH applied general equilibrium model of the Australian economy and cover the period from 2004-05 to 2024-25. The paper pays particular attention to the implications of the analysis for economic policy.
To our knowledge, this item is not available for
download. To find whether it is available, there are three
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Volume (Year): 11 (2008)
Issue (Month): 3 (September)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://business.curtin.edu.au/research/publications/journals/ajle/|
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Peter B. Dixon & Maureen T. Rimmer, 2006. "The Displacement Effect of Labour-Market Programs: MONASH Analysis," The Economic Record, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 82(s1), pages S26-S40, 09.
- James Giesecke & G.A. Meagher, 2008. "Modelling the Economic Effects of Population Ageing," Centre of Policy Studies/IMPACT Centre Working Papers g-172, Victoria University, Centre of Policy Studies/IMPACT Centre.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ozl:journl:v:11:y:2008:i:3:p:227-247. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Alan Duncan)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.