Part Time Employment: the Australian Experience
This paper aims to provide an overview of the changing role of part-time work in Australia and was released on 12 June 2008. The objectives of the paper are to - provide a comparison of part-time work in Australia and overseas, and possible reasons for our relatively high reliance on this form of work; present an assessment of the changing role of part-time work in Australia; identify groups that are availing themselves of part-time work and industries that have higher proportions of part-time workers and how these have been changing over time. The views expressed in this paper are those of the staff involved and do not necessarily reflect those of the Productivity Commission.
|Date of creation:||Jun 2008|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||Published by the Productivity Commission, Australia.|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: 61 3 9653 2100
Fax: 61 3 9653 2199
Web page: http://www.pc.gov.au/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Elisa-Rose Birch, 2005. "Studies of the Labour Supply of Australian Women: What Have We Learned?," The Economic Record, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 81(252), pages 65-84, 03.
- Anthea Long, 2005. "Happily Ever After? A Study of Job Satisfaction in Australia," The Economic Record, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 81(255), pages 303-321, December.
- David Black & Yi-Ping Tseng & Roger Wilkins, 2010.
"The Decline In Male Employment In Australia: A Cohort Analysis,"
Australian Economic Papers,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 49(3), pages 180-199, 09.
- David Black & Yi-Ping Tseng & Roger Wilkins, 2008. "The Decline in Male Employment in Australia: A Cohort Analysis," Melbourne Institute Working Paper Series wp2008n01, Melbourne Institute of Applied Economic and Social Research, The University of Melbourne.
- Patricia Apps, 2006. "The New Discrimination and Childcare," CEPR Discussion Papers 541, Centre for Economic Policy Research, Research School of Economics, Australian National University.
- Rouault, Sophie, 2002. "Multiple jobholding and path-dependent employment regimes: Answering the qualification and protection needs of multiple job holders," Discussion Papers, Research Unit: Labor Market Policy and Employment FS I 02-201, Social Science Research Center Berlin (WZB).
- Booth, Alison L. & van Ours, Jan C., 2005.
"Hours of Work and Gender Identity: Does Part-Time Work Make the Family Happier?,"
IZA Discussion Papers
1884, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Alison L. Booth & Jan C. Van Ours, 2009. "Hours of Work and Gender Identity: Does Part-time Work Make the Family Happier?," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 76(301), pages 176-196, 02.
- Booth, Alison L & van Ours, Jan C, 2005. "Hours of Work and Gender Identity: Does Part-Time Work Make the Family Happier?," CEPR Discussion Papers 5438, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Alison Booth & Jan van Ours, 2005. "Hours of Work and Gender Identity: Does Part-time Work Make the Family Happier?," CEPR Discussion Papers 507, Centre for Economic Policy Research, Research School of Economics, Australian National University.
- Booth, A.L. & van Ours, J.C., 2006. "Hours of Work and Gender Identity : Does Part-time Work make the Family Happier?," Discussion Paper 2006-2, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Buddelmeyer, Hielke & Mourre, Gilles & Ward-Warmedinger, Melanie E., 2004. "The Determinants of Part-Time Work in EU Countries: Empirical Investigations with Macro-Panel Data," IZA Discussion Papers 1361, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Rob Euwals & Maurice Hogerbrugge, 2004. "Explaining the growth of part-time employment; factors of supply and demand," CPB Discussion Paper 31, CPB Netherlands Bureau for Economic Policy Analysis.
- Hirsch, Barry, 2004.
"Why Do Part-Time Workers Earn Less? The Role of Worker and Job Skills,"
IZA Discussion Papers
1261, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Barry T. Hirsch, 2005. "Why do part-time workers earn less? The role of worker and job skills," Industrial and Labor Relations Review, ILR Review, Cornell University, ILR School, vol. 58(4), pages 525-551, July.
- Mellow, Wesley & Sider, Hal, 1983. "Accuracy of Response in Labor Market Surveys: Evidence and Implications," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 1(4), pages 331-44, October.
- Rochelle Belkar & Lynne Cockerell & Rebecca Edwards, 2007. "Labour Force Participation and Household Debt," RBA Research Discussion Papers rdp2007-05, Reserve Bank of Australia.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ris:prodsw:0805. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (MAPS)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.