Labour market impacts from disability onset
In this paper we estimate the causal impacts of disability onset on labour market outcomes up to four years after onset using longitudinal data from the Household Income and Labour Dynamics Australia (HILDA) survey and difference-in-difference propensity score matching techniques. We find lasting negative impacts on full-time employment, which is linked more to people foregoing opportunities to move to full-time work rather than downshifting from full-time to part-time work. Impacts are greater for those without post-school qualifications because they face poor prospects once dislocated from work. These results point to the importance of prevention and vocational rehabilitation programs that are targeted at lowskilled workers.
|Date of creation:||Sep 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Canberra, ACT 2601|
Phone: +61 2 6125 3807
Fax: +61 2 6125 0744
Web page: http://rse.anu.edu.au/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Arulampalam, Wiji, 2000.
"Is Unemployment Really Scarring? Effects of Unemployment Experiences on Wages,"
IZA Discussion Papers
189, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Arulampalam, Wiji, 2001. "Is Unemployment Really Scarring? Effects of Unemployment Experiences on Wages," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 111(475), pages F585-606, November.
- Kidd, Michael P. & Sloane, Peter J. & Ferko, Ivan, 2000.
"Disability and the labour market: an analysis of British males,"
Journal of Health Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 19(6), pages 961-981, November.
- Michael P. Kidd & Peter J. Sloane & Ivan Ferko, 1998. "Disability and the Labour Market: an analysis of British males," Working Papers 98-10, Department of Economics, University of Aberdeen.
- Lixin Cai, 2007.
"The Relationship between Health and Labour Force Participation: Evidence from a Panel Data Simultaneous Equation Model,"
Melbourne Institute Working Paper Series
wp2007n01, Melbourne Institute of Applied Economic and Social Research, The University of Melbourne.
- Cai, Lixin, 2010. "The relationship between health and labour force participation: Evidence from a panel data simultaneous equation model," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 17(1), pages 77-90, January.
- Richard V. Burkhauser & Mary C. Daly, 1998. "Disability and work: the experiences of American and German men," Economic Review, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco, pages 17-29.
- Gregg, Paul, 2001. "The Impact of Youth Unemployment on Adult Unemployment in the NCDS," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 111(475), pages F626-53, November.
- Jeffrey Smith & Petra Todd, 2003.
"Does Matching Overcome Lalonde's Critique of Nonexperimental Estimators?,"
University of Western Ontario, Centre for Human Capital and Productivity (CHCP) Working Papers
20035, University of Western Ontario, Centre for Human Capital and Productivity (CHCP).
- A. Smith, Jeffrey & E. Todd, Petra, 2005. "Does matching overcome LaLonde's critique of nonexperimental estimators?," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 125(1-2), pages 305-353.
- Knights, Stephen & Harris, Mark N & Loundes, Joanne, 2002.
"Dynamic Relationships in the Australian Labour Market: Heterogeneity and State Dependence,"
The Economic Record,
The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 78(242), pages 284-98, September.
- Stephen Knights & Mark Harris & Joanne Loundes, 2000. "Dynamic Relationships in the Australian Labour Market: Heterogeneity and State Dependence," Melbourne Institute Working Paper Series wp2000n06, Melbourne Institute of Applied Economic and Social Research, The University of Melbourne.
- Roger Wilkins, 2004. "The Effects of Disability on Labour Force Status in Australia," Australian Economic Review, The University of Melbourne, Melbourne Institute of Applied Economic and Social Research, vol. 37(4), pages 359-382, December.
- Michael Lechner & Rosalia Vazquez-Alvarez, 2003.
"The Effect of Disability on Labour Market Outcomes in Germany: Evidence from Matching,"
University of St. Gallen Department of Economics working paper series 2003
2003-20, Department of Economics, University of St. Gallen.
- Lechner, Michael & Vazquez-Alvarez, Rosalia, 2003. "The Effect of Disability on Labour Market Outcomes in Germany: Evidence from Matching," IZA Discussion Papers 967, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Lechner, Michael & Vazquez-Alvarez, Rosalia, 2004. "The Effect of Disability on Labour Market Outcomes in Germany: Evidence from Matching," CEPR Discussion Papers 4223, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Julie L. Hotchkiss, 2004. "Growing part-time employment among workers with disabilities: marginalization or opportunity?," Economic Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta, issue Q 3, pages 25-40.
- Thomas DeLeire, 2000.
"The Wage and Employment Effects of the Americans with Disabilities Act,"
Journal of Human Resources,
University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 35(4), pages 693-715.
- Thomas DeLeire, 2000. "The Wage and Employment Effects of the Americans with Disabilities Act," Working Papers 0008, Harris School of Public Policy Studies, University of Chicago.
- Melanie K. Jones, 2007. "Does Part-Time Employment Provide A Way Of Accommodating A Disability?," Manchester School, University of Manchester, vol. 75(6), pages 695-716, December.
- repec:mpr:mprres:6178 is not listed on IDEAS
- John Bound, 1991. "Self-Reported Versus Objective Measures of Health in Retirement Models," Journal of Human Resources, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 26(1), pages 106-138.
- Horton, Nicholas J. & Kleinman, Ken P., 2007. "Much Ado About Nothing: A Comparison of Missing Data Methods and Software to Fit Incomplete Data Regression Models," The American Statistician, American Statistical Association, vol. 61, pages 79-90, February.
- Steven Stern, 1989. "Measuring the Effect of Disability on Labor Force Participation," Journal of Human Resources, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 24(3), pages 361-395.
- John Bound & Michael Schoenbaum & Timothy Waidmann, 1995. "Race and Education Differences in Disability Status and Labor Force Attachment," NBER Working Papers 5159, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Melanie K. Jones & Paul L. Latreille & Peter J. Sloane, 2006. "Disability, gender, and the British labour market," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 58(3), pages 407-449, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:acb:cbeeco:2012-583. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.