Explaining the growth of part-time employment; factors of supply and demand
Using the Dutch Labour Force Survey 1991-2001, the authors investigate the incidence of part-time employment in the country with the highest part-time employment rate of the OECD countries. Women fulfil most part-time jobs, but nevertheless a considerable fraction of men works part-time as well. Evidence from descriptive statistics and a macro-econometric model at the sectoral level of industry suggests that the growth of part-time employment in the 1990s relates strongly to the growth in female labour force participation. Factors of labour demand, like the shift from manufacturing to services, turn out to play a significant role as well.
|Date of creation:||Apr 2004|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Postbus 80510, 2508 GM Den Haag|
Phone: (070) 338 33 80
Fax: (070) 338 33 50
Web page: http://www.cpb.nl/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Friesen, Jane, 1997.
"The Dynamic Demand for Part-Time and Full-Time Labour,"
London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 64(255), pages 495-507, August.
- Friesen J., 1991. "The Dynamic Demand for Part-time and Full-time Labour," Discussion Papers dp91-14, Department of Economics, Simon Fraser University.
- Euwals, Rob & van Soest, Arthur, 1999. "Desired and actual labour supply of unmarried men and women in the Netherlands," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 6(1), pages 95-118, March.
- Euwals, R.W. & van Soest, A.H.O., 1996. "Desired and Actual Labour Supply of Unmarried Men and Women in the Netherlands," Discussion Paper 1996-23, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Deardorff, Alan V & Stafford, Frank P, 1976. "Compensation of Cooperating Factors," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 44(4), pages 671-684, July.
- Bruce C. Fallick, 1998. "Part-time work and industry growth," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 1998-16, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Bruce Fallick, 1998. "Part-Time Work and Industry Growth," LIS Working papers 176, LIS Cross-National Data Center in Luxembourg.
- Blank, Rebecca M, 1989. "The Role of Part-Time Work in Women's Labor Market Choices over Time," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 79(2), pages 295-299, May.
- Thomas Buchmueller, 1999. "Fringe benefits and the demand for part-time workers," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 31(5), pages 551-563.
- Rice, Patricia G, 1990. "Relative Labour Costs and the Growth of Part-Time Employment in British Manufacturing Industry," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 100(403), pages 1138-1146, December. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)