A dynamic analysis of recent changes in the rate of part-time employment
The part-time employment rate has declined since the early 1980s, especially among females. This paper examines the decline over the 1980-1990 period, with a focus on the gender differential, using gross change data from the Bureau of Labor Statistics. Monthly transition rates between full-time employment, part-time employment, unemployment, and nonparticipation are estimated according to sex. Trend and cyclical analysis of the transition rates is conducted to identify the sources of part-time employment-rate trends and to explore gender differentials in them. The results suggest that the decline in the rate of part-time employment among females is not so much because unemployed females are more likely to move into full-time employment, but rather because females have become more likely to move from part-time to full-time employment and, most important, because they have become less likely to leave full-time employment once they get there.
|Date of creation:||1991|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 1455 East 6th St., Cleveland OH 44114|
Web page: http://www.clevelandfed.org/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Email: |
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kenneth Burdett, 1981. "A Markov Model of Employment," Discussion Papers 483, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Larry DeBoer & Michael C. Seeborg, 1989. "The Unemployment Rates of Men and Women: A Transition Probability Analysis," ILR Review, Cornell University, ILR School, vol. 42(3), pages 404-414, April.
- Ruhm, Christopher J, 1990. "Bridge Jobs and Partial Retirement," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 8(4), pages 482-501, October.
- Abowd, John M & Zellner, Arnold, 1985. "Estimating Gross Labor-Force Flows," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 3(3), pages 254-283, June.
- Blank, Rebecca M, 1989. "The Role of Part-Time Work in Women's Labor Market Choices over Time," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 79(2), pages 295-299, May.
- Stephen T. Marston, 1976. "Employment Instability and High Unemployment Rates," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 7(1), pages 169-210.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:fip:fedcwp:9120. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (4D Library)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.