Explaining the Growth of Part-Time Employment: Factors of Supply and Demand
Using the Dutch Labour Force Survey 1991-2001, the authors investigate the incidence of part-time employment in the country with the highest part-time employment rate of the OECD countries. Women fulfil most part-time jobs, but a considerable fraction of men works part-time as well. Evidence from descriptive statistics and a macro-econometric model at the sectoral level of industry suggests that the growth of part-time employment in the 1990s relates strongly to the growth in female labour force participation. Factors of labour demand, like the shift from manufacturing to services and the increase in the demand for flexible labour, turn out to play a significant role as well.
|Date of creation:||Apr 2006|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: 44 - 20 - 7183 8801
Fax: 44 - 20 - 7183 8820
|Order Information:|| Email: |
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Diego Comin & Sunil Mulani, 2004.
"Diverging Trends in Macro and Micro Volatility: Facts,"
NBER Working Papers
10922, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Diego Comin & Sunil Mulani, 2003. "Diverging Trends in Macro and Micro Volatility: Facts," Macroeconomics 0306008, EconWPA.
- Comin, D. & Mulani, S., 2003. "Diverging Trends in Macro and Micro Volatility: Facts," Working Papers 03-08, C.V. Starr Center for Applied Economics, New York University.
- Friesen, Jane, 1997.
"The Dynamic Demand for Part-Time and Full-Time Labour,"
London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 64(255), pages 495-507, August.
- Friesen J., 1991. "The Dynamic Demand for Part-time and Full-time Labour," Discussion Papers dp91-14, Department of Economics, Simon Fraser University.
- Buddelmeyer, Hielke & Mourre, Gilles & Ward-Warmedinger, Melanie E., 2004. "The Determinants of Part-Time Work in EU Countries: Empirical Investigations with Macro-Panel Data," IZA Discussion Papers 1361, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Euwals, Rob & van Soest, Arthur, 1999.
"Desired and actual labour supply of unmarried men and women in the Netherlands,"
Elsevier, vol. 6(1), pages 95-118, March.
- Euwals, R.W. & van Soest, A.H.O., 1996. "Desired and Actual Labour Supply of Unmarried Men and Women in the Netherlands," Discussion Paper 1996-23, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Blank, Rebecca M, 1989. "The Role of Part-Time Work in Women's Labor Market Choices over Time," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 79(2), pages 295-99, May.
- Bruce C. Fallick, 1998. "Part-time work and industry growth," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 1998-16, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Rice, Patricia G, 1990. "Relative Labour Costs and the Growth of Part-Time Employment in British Manufacturing Industry," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 100(403), pages 1138-46, December.
- Thomas Buchmueller, 1999. "Fringe benefits and the demand for part-time workers," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 31(5), pages 551-563.
- Deardorff, Alan V & Stafford, Frank P, 1976. "Compensation of Cooperating Factors," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 44(4), pages 671-84, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cpr:ceprdp:5595. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.