Impacts of Policy Reforms on the Supply of Mexican Labor to U.S. Farms: New Evidence from Mexico
The availability of immigrant farm-workers from Mexico is a critical factor affecting the U.S. fresh fruit and vegetable sector. This paper uses retrospective panel data from rural Mexico to examine the impact of the North American Free Trade Agreement and the Immigration Reform and Control Act on the supply of migrant labor to the United States. We find that, in contrast to expectations, both policies were associated with an increase in migration to U.S. farm jobs from rural Mexico. Copyright 2007, Oxford University Press.
Volume (Year): 29 (2007)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Oxford University Press, Great Clarendon Street, Oxford OX2 6DP, UK|
Phone: (414) 918-3190
Fax: 01865 267 985
Web page: http://www.aaea.org/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.oup.co.uk/journals|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Dawn D. Thilmany, 1996. "FLC Usage Among California Growers under IRCA: An Empirical Analysis of Farm Labor Market Risk Management," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 78(4), pages 946-960.
- Philip L. Martin, 1993. "Trade and Migration: NAFTA and Agriculture," Peterson Institute Press: Policy Analyses in International Economics, Peterson Institute for International Economics, number PA 38, December.
- Philip L. Martin, 1993. "Trade and Migration: NAFTA and Agriculture," Peterson Institute Press: All Books, Peterson Institute for International Economics, number pa38.
- Treyz, George I, et al, 1993. "The Dynamics of U.S. Internal Migration," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 75(2), pages 209-14, May.
- Levy, Santiago & Wijnbergen, Sweder van, 1994. "Labor markets, migration and welfare Agriculture in the North-American Free Trade Agreement," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 43(2), pages 263-278, April.
- Anonymous & Meilke, Karl D. & Knutson, Ronald D. & Ochoa, Rene F. & Rude, James & Yunez-Naude, Antonio, 2004. "North American Agrifood Market Integration: Situation and Perspectives," 2004 NAAMIC Workshop I: North American Agrifood Market Integration: Current Situtation and Perspectives 163855, North American Agrifood Market Integration Consortium (NAAMIC).
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:oup:revage:v:29:y:2007:i:1:p:4-16. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.