Non-Classical Measurement Error in Long-Term Retrospective Recall Surveys
Applied microeconomic researchers are beginning to use long-term retrospective survey data in settings where conventional longitudinal survey data are unavailable. However, inaccurate longterm recall could induce non-classical measurement error, for which conventional statistical corrections are less effective. In this paper, we use the unique Panel Study of Income Dynamics Validation Study to assess the accuracy of long-term retrospective recall data. We find underreporting of transitory variation which creates a non-classical measurement error problem.
|Date of creation:||Sep 2009|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.cirje.e.u-tokyo.ac.jp/index.html
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bonggeun Kim & Gary Solon, 2005. "Implications of Mean-Reverting Measurement Error for Longitudinal Studies of Wages and Employment," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 87(1), pages 193-196, February.
- Belton M. Fleisher & Xiaojun Wang, 2004.
"Returns to Schooling in China Under Planning and Reform,"
William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series
2004-704, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Fleisher, Belton M. & Wang, Xiaojun, 2005. "Returns to schooling in China under planning and reform," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 33(2), pages 265-277, June.
- Kennickell, Arthur B & Starr-McCluer, Martha, 1997. "Retrospective Reporting of Household Wealth: Evidence from the 1983-1989 Survey of Consumer Finances," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 15(4), pages 452-63, October.
- James P. Smith & Duncan Thomas, 2004.
"Remembrances of Things Past: Test-Retest Reliability of Retrospective Migration Histories,"
Labor and Demography
- James P. Smith & Duncan Thomas, 2003. "Remembrances of things past: test-retest reliability of retrospective migration histories," Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series A, Royal Statistical Society, vol. 166(1), pages 23-49.
- H. Elizabeth Peters, 1988.
"Retrospective Versus Panel Data in Analyzing Lifecycle Events,"
Journal of Human Resources,
University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 23(4), pages 488-513.
- H. Elizabeth Peters, . "Retrospective Versus Panel Data in Analyzing Life-Cycle Events," University of Chicago - Population Research Center 87-5, Chicago - Population Research Center.
- Taylor, J. Edward & Boucher, Stephen R. & Smith, Aaron D. & Yunez-Naude, Antonio, 2004. "Impacts Of Policy Reforms On The Supply Of Mexican Labor To U.S. Farms: New Evidence From Mexico," 2004 Annual meeting, August 1-4, Denver, CO 19993, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:tky:fseres:2009cf658. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (CIRJE administrative office)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.